• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Starting to question CCS's pressing skills.
4 4

193 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, EC Phanatic said:

I will say I used Joeypost in the past and I wasn't impressed...I sent him some moderns and I had to keep on emailing him to get them back. And when I did get them back some of the spines were not straight.....Not a fan of Joey..I am sure if you really know him maybe you will get a better deal...who knows...

A presser can only do so much and not every book's paper behaves the same way.  Pressing is just a tool. Nothing more.  

9 hours ago, EC Phanatic said:

I will say I used Joeypost in the past and I wasn't impressed...I sent him some moderns and I had to keep on emailing him to get them back. And when I did get them back some of the spines were not straight.....Not a fan of Joey..I am sure if you really know him maybe you will get a better deal...who knows...

Any book can be pressed except few before 1995. Modern comic books has glossy inked pages that stay white pages and are not friendly to the pressing environment. After a brief pressing, all pages are sticky together and the book is solid hard like a cardboard so the pages have to be separated somehow.

3 hours ago, joeypost said:

Can’t make everyone happy I guess. Had he contacted me, I would have made things right. 

Joey has kept me happy and coming back.... Here is a copy of Cherry Poptart that had an impression from writing that he was able to clean up.... book came back from CGC graded 9.8

_MG_4525.jpg

On 3/29/2020 at 7:29 AM, JollyComics said:

Any book can be pressed except few before 1995. Modern comic books has glossy inked pages that stay white pages and are not friendly to the pressing environment. After a brief pressing, all pages are sticky together and the book is solid hard like a cardboard so the pages have to be separated somehow.

The temp just needs to be turned down, paper prefers "less is more".

26 minutes ago, MastrCntrlProgram said:

The temp just needs to be turned down, paper prefers "less is more".

Agreed.  Who will press Modern Age books beyond 1997?  So few key issues in late 90's to early 2000.  2004 Walking Dead #1 is easily pressed due to non-glossy white/black pages.

3 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

Agreed.  Who will press Modern Age books beyond 1997?  So few key issues in late 90's to early 2000.  2004 Walking Dead #1 is easily pressed due to non-glossy white/black pages.

We press tons of post 2000 shiney's. Plenty of keys there to press, but you might be surprised how many modern books are sent in for a press and grade, with values as low as $5, or that is what it says on the form, I am not a modern market follower.

17 minutes ago, MastrCntrlProgram said:

We press tons of post 2000 shiney's. Plenty of keys there to press, but you might be surprised how many modern books are sent in for a press and grade, with values as low as $5, or that is what it says on the form, I am not a modern market follower.

Me too.  The prices for Modern books are too unstable. Sometimes, I grab them at right time.

On 4/25/2018 at 7:51 PM, Dr. Funance said:

Does most everyone use CCS for pressing or is there someone else that you like to use? I know there are other services listed on the internet that will press comics and then send them in to CGC. I've never used any of them, however.

www.cfpcomics.com is said to be the golden standard for pressing. They send to CGC as well.

I have had numerous books pressed before grading by CCS, and only once was I a bit confused when i sent in 3 copies of a particular issue and 2 came back 9.8 and the other a 9.4, with notes saying stress to spine, I thought this odd as i believed a press should eliminate stress lines that are not coluor breaking, but on a whole 2 out of 3 is a good average, and I have had more successes with pressing, in a lot of cases bumping up a grade, so even with some questions in regards to grades i may think i should have got, my overall experience with CCS, has been pretty good and i continue to use them.

Maybe some who grade their books, may need more experience in how to do this more acurately, a lot of us think we should get certain grades, but a press will not always eliminate all defects.

The last time I used CCS, I sent them 15 books and they detached the covers on 3 of them.  Two were nm bronze batman keys.  The third was a fn range pch book - they detached and fully split the cover.  Prior to that batch, I was not impressed with their work - often the books looked uncleaned and unpressed.  I've since started cleaning and pressing my own books and am now confident in saying CCS's clean and press services are amateur.  Prob too much volume and they are rushing the work and damaging books or just doing a crappy job on them.

Edited by DS Comics

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2020 at 9:27 PM, William-James88 said:

That ignores the entire market of variants.

I get in all kinds of moderns, mostly signature books. Some aren't worth the paper they are printed on...until they get signed. Then, it seems, some turn to gold. 

On 3/31/2020 at 9:24 PM, William-James88 said:

www.cfpcomics.com is said to be the golden standard for pressing. They send to CGC as well.

Very happy with the results I got from Joey over several submissions and have never had  a communication problem.