• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Starting to question CCS's pressing skills.
4 4

193 posts in this topic

Not going to speculate on how it got damaged. Shouldn't happen this often. Pressing is more of a science than a art. Follow the recipe and it turns out good. 

It is interesting that the most popular pressing outfit is by far the most expensive and has longest wait times. I dont see too many people defending them either about their quality. 

8 hours ago, Myowncollector said:

Not going to speculate on how it got damaged. Shouldn't happen this often. Pressing is more of a science than a art. Follow the recipe and it turns out good. 

It is interesting that the most popular pressing outfit is by far the most expensive and has longest wait times. I dont see too many people defending them either about their quality. 

I disagree with this. 2c

On 6/9/2020 at 4:46 PM, DS Comics said:

Yeah, they refunded the fees and the values of the books as i listed them.  the customer service after the fact was great.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Can you please let me know how you got in touch with CCS customer service?  I couldn’t find a direct number or email fir them.   They emailed CGC but they haven’t gotten back to me.  😓

Just now, sLiver said:

Thanks for sharing your experience. Can you please let me know how you got in touch with CCS customer service?  I couldn’t find a direct number or email fir them.   They emailed CGC but they haven’t gotten back to me.  😓

This was before all the covid shutdowns, so I called CGC on the phone and asked for someone in charge at CCS and they put me right through.  CCS and CGC have the same customer service basically, so you just have to get in touch with cgc and let them know you want to talk to someone at ccs about an issue with your books.

Few months back, I submitted five comics to get graded (from the 90's, never opened, never read, cardboard backed in acid free sleeve all this time) and they came back graded slightly lower than what I anticipated.  So, I sent in five more, but this time I decided to get them pressed in the hopes they are bumped up a grade or so.  They should be done with pressing soon, but after reading these posts, I will admit that I'm now in the "worried" category.  :frown:

Pressing is just a tool, people have this expectation, in goes a comic, out comes a 9.8.  Doesn't work that way, Did you press your comic and see an improvement without damaging it? If so, Congrats! You've successfully pressed your comic. If anything, Pressing is a skill, not an art or a science 

On 6/9/2020 at 8:56 PM, Myowncollector said:

here is my defense of their quality.  they are the best.   wouldn’t consider any other service, prices and wait times be damned.  

28 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

here is my defense of their quality.  they are the best.   wouldn’t consider any other service, prices and wait times be damned.  

Glad you are happy. I never used them so I couldn't say one way or the other. Just seen a decent amount of unhappy customers. Some other pressers I never seen any unhappy customers. Maybe one day I will do a shootout and send some books to all the know pressers. Or check youtube, someone probably has done that already. 

On 6/14/2020 at 7:19 PM, Kevin76 said:

Pressing is just a tool, people have this expectation, in goes a comic, out comes a 9.8.  Doesn't work that way, Did you press your comic and see an improvement without damaging it? If so, Congrats! You've successfully pressed your comic. If anything, Pressing is a skill, not an art or a science 

You need to understand the SCIENCE of applying heat, pressure and sometimes moisture to successfully press a comic. You need to develope your SKILL to consistently press a comic the right way each and every time. It becomes an ART when you come across a stubborn or unique book where proven methods aren't working but you get creative and achieve the results you want anyways. It's still a learning process for even the pressers that have done it for years and handled hundreds/thousands of books.

And then there is cleaning which can be a real art!

On 8/11/2020 at 3:21 PM, Lobo1969 said:

You need to understand the SCIENCE of applying heat, pressure and sometimes moisture to successfully press a comic. You need to develope your SKILL to consistently press a comic the right way each and every time. It becomes an ART when you come across a stubborn or unique book where proven methods aren't working but you get creative and achieve the results you want anyways. It's still a learning process for even the pressers that have done it for years and handled hundreds/thousands of books.

And then there is cleaning which can be a real art!

Yeah cause erasing dirt with an eraser is someone becoming the next Michaelagelo 

On 5/5/2018 at 1:36 PM, The Lions Den said:

LOL. Of course it's a climate controlled space where people grade comic books---LOTS of comic books. Which must be carefully removed from lots of well-packaged packages. And sorted. And entered into a computer system. And bar-coded. And placed carefully in boxes. And given to the appropriate people. And have the pages and every other minute defect inspected. And enter in any information that makes the book "special." And arrive at a suitable grade (not as easy as you might think). And type in grader notes. And placed carefully back in the right box. And sent to encapsulation. And have the correct labels printed. And have them heat sealed. And encapsulated. And carefully inspected again (and redone if necessary) before they're sent to the shipping department. And packaged. And shipped to the correct address. And done in a certain amount of time, especially if the customer paid more to have them done quicker. And they keep coming, an endless stream of books, demanding your undivided attention, until your head pounds and your eyes feel like somebody threw sand in them, until your back is sore and your butt is numb. And that's a good day. I've done a lot of jobs in my life, my friend. I've cleaned out filthy ditches, worked on oil rig equipment, worked midnight shift in a printing factory, worked in a bottling facility, cleaned out large vats full of foul mud and slime, cleaned out huge thermal oil heaters full of caustic ash, worked in the restaurant business, gas stations, fast food establishments, you name it. The toughest job I've ever had was working for CGC...and that's a fact. They're also the best group of people I've ever worked with, and I'm extremely proud to call them my friends.

Pssshhh...Perhaps the most tedious job you have ever had. Toughest? I used to deliver beer. Cases and cases and kegs after kegs into the worst dives, crawl spaces and basements. I used to landscape and build rock gardens and planted trees and shrubs. Dug in solid clay with a pickax. Hit it with all my might and dislodge a 6"x6" chunk. Plowed snow in blizzards and dug out when I got stuck. I'd grade books over that in air conditioning any day.

1 hour ago, Randall Ries said:

Pssshhh...Perhaps the most tedious job you have ever had. Toughest? I used to deliver beer. Cases and cases and kegs after kegs into the worst dives, crawl spaces and basements. I used to landscape and build rock gardens and planted trees and shrubs. Dug in solid clay with a pickax. Hit it with all my might and dislodge a 6"x6" chunk. Plowed snow in blizzards and dug out when I got stuck. I'd grade books over that in air conditioning any day.

You win!   :golfclap:

4 hours ago, Kevin76 said:

Yeah cause erasing dirt with an eraser is someone becoming the next Michaelagelo 

You’d be surprised by how many take an eraser to all the edges of a white back cover, only to come away with “moderate amount of light eraser marks to all back cover edges” as a graders note and a lower graded book.

Edited by Timely

6 hours ago, Timely said:

You’d be surprised by how many take an eraser to all the edges of a white back cover, only to come away with “moderate amount of light eraser marks to all back cover edges” as a graders note and a lower graded book.

Agreed. I get in many books that were cleaned up by DIYers, and the dry cleaning added more damage than it removed.