• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Starting to question CCS's pressing skills.
4 4

193 posts in this topic

On 5/2/2018 at 3:24 PM, Dr. Funance said:

No, this newbie has not disappeared, and I apologize if I did not research prior posts enough before asking. I asked an innocuous question regarding grading since I am new to the process, and did not intend to insult CCS or CGC. However, being a business professor, I do agree with Ryan regarding healthy competition and the fact that discussion among customers can provide businesses with valuable information they can use to improve customer service as needed.

That being said, I had no intention of inciting impolite discussion or arguments. I have had a couple of members send me private messages with recommendations, and I will leave it at that. I do appreciate all of the help and the opportunity to ask questions in CGC's forums.

You didn’t do anything wrong.  Some members get wrapped around the axle about people posting topics that have been covered but it happens all the time, by newbies and old hat.  

In my opinion it’s absolutely ridiculous to assume members can’t recommend third party pressing services.  I don’t think CGC is in the business of suffocating small business nor wants to be associated with the notion. People refer to the censorship of Voldy to support this idea but that entire scenario is due to legal ramifications for slanderous content present on an asset owned and managed by CGC.

Bottom line is CCS is getting a bed reputation because their service and quality of work doesn’t live up to what everyone has come to expect from CGC.  Instead of hiding that fact, talk about it and maybe CCS will step up their game.  I would say, in my experience, its a 1 in 3 ratio of good experiences to bad.

My recommendation is CFP Comics.  I’ve used more than a half dozen pressing services and none have compared.  I’ve had hundreds of books worked on by CFP and have never had a single disappointment.  

But remember, you can’t just send a book in and expect a grade bump.  You have to know what you’re doing when it comes to identifying books that will benefit from a clean and press.   

Edited by comicquant

1 hour ago, comicquant said:

Bottom line is CCS is getting a bed reputation because their service and quality of work doesn’t live up to what everyone has come to expect from CGC.  Instead of hiding that fact, talk about it and maybe CCS will step up their game.  I would say, in my experience, its a 1 in 3 ratio of good experiences to bad.

And where exactly did you get this very analytic statistic that CCS does a bad job 2 out of 3 times ? You have made it clear many times on the Boards that you love the work of Joey. That's fine, but why do you feel the need to push his services every chance you get here on the CGC Boards. Go on Facebook, rent a billboard, make a YouTube Video but I still feel it is disrespectful to promote here, especially when Harshen already said it will not be tolerated. BTW, any debate going on in this thread ended weeks ago. Why did you feel the need to post and start it up again ? Just to be clear, my comments do not reflect the quality of work of Joey or any other pressers. It's just showing respect to our hosts. I don't walk into Starbucks and tell their customers that Dunkin Donuts coffee is better, even though it is. Do you ?  Also, what exactly is a 'bed reputation'. I sense someone had too many margaritas tonight. I know I did !

52 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

And where exactly did you get this very analytic statistic that CCS does a bad job 2 out of 3 times ? You have made it clear many times on the Boards that you love the work of Joey. That's fine, but why do you feel the need to push his services every chance you get here on the CGC Boards. Go on Facebook, rent a billboard, make a YouTube Video but I still feel it is disrespectful to promote here, especially when Harshen already said it will not be tolerated. BTW, any debate going on in this thread ended weeks ago. Why did you feel the need to post and start it up again ? Just to be clear, my comments do not reflect the quality of work of Joey or any other pressers. It's just showing respect to our hosts. I don't walk into Starbucks and tell their customers that Dunkin Donuts coffee is better, even though it is. Do you ?  Also, what exactly is a 'bed reputation'. I sense someone had too many margaritas tonight. I know I did !

lol, if you don't know what a "bed reputation" is then you've never had enough margaritas.  I unfortunately, have had none tonight. 

The statistic you reference is based off conversations with people who have used them.  I've got emails, pm's, text messages etc discussing the topic.  In fact, I was being generous but...  There have been a few people who say the work was decent. 

And please Bob, don't talk about me bringing this topic up...  Another ratio for you to consider is I make 1 comment about pressing to your 10 (mostly negative).  I don't push anything, I confidently recommend the best service I'm aware of.  And frankly, its not your right nor your privilege to try to censor it.  If CGC has a problem with what I've said, they can remove the comments and terminate my account but I'd like to hope comic collecting is one of the few frontiers where fascism isn't tolerated.  I'm sure you've already reported it so we'll see how it plays out.  

I think you'll agree you'll want the best out there working on your books which is why I can confidently recommend Joe.  Thats the least I can do.  If you like Dunkin Donuts coffee more than you like Starbucks, give it a shot, you might feel like you've done something decent for those poor people drinking an inferior product when they could pay half as much for a better cup of Joe (See what I did there).  

As for Harshen's comments, well, I think they only substantiate the rumors of damage control.  Enjoy those margaritas Bob!

Edited by comicquant

3 minutes ago, comicquant said:

lol, if you don't know what a "bed reputation" is then you've never had enough margaritas.  I unfortunately, have had none tonight. 

The statistic you reference is based off conversations with people who have used them.  I've got emails, pm's, text messages etc discussing the topic.  In fact, I was being generous but...  There have been a few people who say the work was decent. 

And please Bob, don't talk about me bringing this topic up...  Another ratio for you to consider is I make 1 comment about pressing to your 10 (mostly negative).  I don't push anything, I confidently recommend the best service I'm aware of.  And frankly, its not your right nor your privilege to try to censor it.  If CGC has a problem with what I've said, they can remove the comments and terminate my account but I'd like to hope comic collecting is the one of the few frontiers where fascism isn't tolerated.  I'm sure you've already reported it so we'll see how it plays out.  

I think you'll agree you'll want the best out there working on your books which is why I can confidently recommend Joe.  Thats the least I can do.  If you like Dunkin Donuts coffee more than you like Starbucks, give it a shot, you might feel like you've done something decent for those poor people drinking an inferior product when they could pay half as much for a better cup of Joe (See what I did there).  

As for Harshen's comments, well, I think they only substantiate the rumors of damage control.  Enjoy those margaritas Bob!

- For the record, I did not report you, didn't even cross my mind.

- Regarding Joey, no argument, he has an excellent reputation. I am just suggesting that you make your recommendations in a private manner.

- As for your comment that it's not my right to censor your comment, I did not censor, I have no ability to censor. I only question whether it is in good taste.

- I don't feel like my comments on pressing are negative. I am negative on certain aspects of pressing but not on pressing per se. I don't think any of the seasoned pressers, like Joey himself, have a problem with my comments. If they do, I am not aware of it. 

- I didn't say you brought this topic up, I said you revived it, unnecessarily IMO. I asked why you felt compelled to do so.

- The margaritas are wearing off. I am in a weak and vulnerable state. Awaiting your knockout punch...........

7 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

- For the record, I did not report you, didn't even cross my mind.

- Regarding Joey, no argument, he has an excellent reputation. I am just suggesting that you make your recommendations in a private manner.

- As for your comment that it's not my right to censor your comment, I did not censor, I have no ability to censor. I only question whether it is in good taste.

- I don't feel like my comments on pressing are negative. I am negative on certain aspects of pressing but not on pressing per se. I don't think any of the seasoned pressers, like Joey himself, have a problem with my comments. If they do, I am not aware of it. 

- I didn't say you brought this topic up, I said you revived it, unnecessarily IMO. I asked why you felt compelled to do so.

- The margaritas are wearing off. I am in a weak and vulnerable state. Awaiting your knockout punch...........

I’d much rather join you in drinking margaritas and talk comics!

On 4/19/2018 at 3:00 PM, Darkwing7869 said:

I submitted about a dozen of older but still modern books to CGC with a stop off at CCS for a pressing. No 9.8s and the 9.6s I got had no grader notes but what was interesting were the 9.4 grader notes. For two of them, the only note that was said was "spine stress line spine". Would that not be something a pressing is designed to eliminate? No indication it was color-breaking or anything else. Just that single note. Anyone else feeling underwhelmed with CCS'S results?

I had another company press a Spawn 1 with bent corner, did not eliminate bend. After CCS, 9.8 CGC. I, for one, am sold.

I don't really understand why people are not allowed to say who their preferred presser is. It's not the same as saying the other pressers are bad, nor is it the same as encouraging others to use who you prefer. I prefer sharp cheese over Colby, but Colby is still good. I also have a preference for a certain carpet cleaner and oil change service, but I'm sure the others are just as competent.  I've personally used many pressers, and naturally I have a preference, but I'm not allowed to say who it is (unless it's CCS).

Can someone remind me what the definition of 'promoting' is?

Then again, these aren't my forums and I don't make the rules.

As far as 'bad taste' or 'rude' is concerned, I've seen the words 'subjective' and 'opinion' used many times on these boards. I believe those words apply here.

4 hours ago, Gaard said:

I don't really understand why people are not allowed to say who their preferred presser is. It's not the same as saying the other pressers are bad, nor is it the same as encouraging others to use who you prefer. I prefer sharp cheese over Colby, but Colby is still good. I also have a preference for a certain carpet cleaner and oil change service, but I'm sure the others are just as competent.  I've personally used many pressers, and naturally I have a preference, but I'm not allowed to say who it is (unless it's CCS).

Can someone remind me what the definition of 'promoting' is?

Then again, these aren't my forums and I don't make the rules.

As far as 'bad taste' or 'rude' is concerned, I've seen the words 'subjective' and 'opinion' used many times on these boards. I believe those words apply here.

I think a reasonable response to the question of pressing preferences is fine and acceptable. However, historically, the topic seems to get out of hand, often turning into a kudos thread for certain pressers. There once was a whole thread dedicated to praising Joey alone, which CGC removed and Harshen issued his statement. Recommending a presser is fine, It's the ad nauseum singing of praises that follows that's the problem. 

On 5/20/2018 at 9:14 AM, Bomber-Bob said:

I think a reasonable response to the question of pressing preferences is fine and acceptable. However, historically, the topic seems to get out of hand, often turning into a kudos thread for certain pressers. There once was a whole thread dedicated to praising Joey alone, which CGC removed and Harshen issued his statement. Recommending a presser is fine, It's the ad nauseum singing of praises that follows that's the problem. 

A lot of what you say is true Bob, but CGC allowed that thread to exist long after the merger with classics. What got all the threads about me pulled was when I was announced as the official pressing service for Voldy (which happened to be the biggest mistake of my professional pressing career, friendship with SB put aside) for the first two years of their existence. 

I’ve used Joey in the past...great customer service and he didn’t press the books he didn’t think it would help...I wouldn’t hesitate at all to recommend him...full disclosure, I haven’t used CCS...

10 hours ago, Valstof said:

How long does it take to get 2 books pressed?  2.5 months with no update so far... then they have to go back and get graded yet!  Form said days not months.

Remember that the days are business days (so that excludes weekends and holidays).  Current turnaround time is like 60 business days, which amounts to early December (or 3 months).

It doesn't take 2.5 months to press a book. But if the pressing service gets a lot of work it's very possible that there is 2.5 months worth of OTHER PEOPLE'S books ahead of yours when you submit.  Paying more is one way of making one's book a higher priority. Or as they say in NASCAR - "Speed costs money. How fast can you afford to go?" 

On September 12, 2018 at 7:21 PM, JollyComics said:

So far I know Matt Nelson is a professional restorer and his company merged with CGC that became CCS.

How the heck does he find his time to press or restore the comic book while he grades countless comic books?  That is two jobs for him.

I don't think he does pressing anymore, except on the truly big books. Just a guess, but I'd say CCS has a team of "underlings" that do the heavy lifting. I have to say that's diminished my faith in them. At one point you could be fairly certain that Nelson was the guy doing the work. Now, it's very unclear. 

I'd rather know exactly who is pressing my books, on the rare occasion I desire such a service.

3 hours ago, newshane said:

I don't think he does pressing anymore, except on the truly big books. Just a guess, but I'd say CCS has a team of "underlings" that do the heavy lifting. I have to say that's diminished my faith in them. At one point you could be fairly certain that Nelson was the guy doing the work. Now, it's very unclear. 

I'd rather know exactly who is pressing my books, on the rare occasion I desire such a service.

I have seen few threads about their concerns of their pressing jobs that damaged few important key issues. Before Matt became the grader, he did an excellent job with the pressing I had faith in him. Now the question is who took his job as the presser(s). That is my concern too.

Edited by JollyComics