• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Starting to question CCS's pressing skills.
4 4

193 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, kimik said:

You should see what some sellers (and a large dealer) are doing to books by pressing their own books now. On some books I have gotten extra bits and pieces of things pressed into the covers as well since they are not bothering to clean the press bed or the book. Just a quick pancake to flatten it and then onto the customer.

Yep, I often see that pebbling on books - a clear sign it was pressed with a dirty press, or the book was not properly cleaned first.

Just now, DS Comics said:

Yep, I often see that pebbling on books - a clear sign it was pressed with a dirty press, or the book was not properly cleaned first.

The sad thing is even after they have been made aware of the issue they just keep doing it. I have stopped buying from the dealer as a result. When you get the books, you have to press them even if you were not intending to just to undo the damage. It is not worth it.

7 hours ago, MatterEaterLad said:

Has CCS ever posted about their staff? (At least since they've been under the CGC umbrella). 

It would be helpful or at least informative if the website had a page of "Here's our qualified staff with XX years of experience" so we know who's doing the work.

If Matt's no longer there, is it a crew of experts? Is it an intern in a closet? A little transparency wouldn't hurt.

All I can picture is some character like Ryan from The Office. Sitting in a closet pumping out a press with comics stacked op top of each other :insane:. I feel like maybe the people who clean and press the books are interns, but I feel uneasy about that thought. Some credentials should be necessary I believe.  

4 hours ago, DS Comics said:

Imprinting whatever is on a dirty platen is not pebbling. It's just bad workmanship. To be honest, I cannot see pebbling happen in both examples unless the book or platen would be covered in sand. 

7 minutes ago, joeypost said:

Imprinting whatever is on a dirty platen is not pebbling. It's just bad workmanship. To be honest, I cannot see pebbling happen in both examples unless the book or platen would be covered in sand. 

Well to me, pebbling refers to any amount of pebbly pattern, small bumps/divots on a comic cover from improper pressing.  It can be just a couple small areas when a press or the book is not clean, or it can be across the entire cover, like often happens when people press books directly on the grid-patterned foam bottom of most t-shirt presses, or they use a bumpy, non-smooth material on top or bottom of the book.  When it looks like small pebbles have been pressed into the book, to me that's pebbling.  Some is obviously more severe than others, but I think pebbling can refer to all of this.  I'm fine if you want to come up with a bunch of different terms for each specific instance based on the number of "pebbles" there are, but pebbling seems to cover this whole category for me. 

1 minute ago, DS Comics said:

Well to me, pebbling refers to any amount of pebbly pattern, small bumps/divots on a comic cover from improper pressing.  It can be just a couple small areas when a press or the book is not clean, or it can be across the entire cover, like often happens when people press books directly on the grid-patterned foam bottom of most t-shirt presses, or they use a bumpy, non-smooth material on top or bottom of the book.  When it looks like small pebbles have been pressed into the book, to me that's pebbling.  Some is obviously more severe than others, but I think pebbling can refer to all of this.  I'm fine if you want to come up with a bunch of different terms for each specific instance based on the number of "pebbles" there are, but pebbling seems to cover this whole category for me. 

Thank you for explaining your definition. I do agree with you in some cases. 

11 minutes ago, joeypost said:

Thank you for explaining your definition. I do agree with you in some cases. 

I actually think of the word "cobbling" when i see the entire cover with a bumpy pattern, reminiscent of a cobblestone street.  And really, if there is a small piece of dirt on the press or the book that makes a single impression, that seems literally like a pebbling from a literal pebble lol.  The joys of language, another art form that is fun to play with! 👍

6 hours ago, telerites said:

Geez, I'm behind.  When did Matt leave?  Did he move to grading with CGC?  

I hate to say but even when Matt was there, I felt CCS had problems.  

It was my impression that he's a full time grader now. I think he would have to be. If he were working for CCS and also for CGC as a grader it would be a huge conflict of interest for him to be grading his own work at CCS. 

22 minutes ago, MatterEaterLad said:

It was my impression that he's a full time grader now. I think he would have to be. If he were working for CCS and also for CGC as a grader it would be a huge conflict of interest for him to be grading his own work at CCS. 

Last interview I watched with him (a month or two ago), he said he was more management than anything these days, that he really wasnt grading books that often anymore.  My guess is he works on certain things at CCS, like a consv or resto issue, and may step in to grade a big book at CGC, but otherwise he's pretty much in a boss role. 🤷‍♂️