• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Starting to question CCS's pressing skills.
4 4

193 posts in this topic

I submitted about a dozen of older but still modern books to CGC with a stop off at CCS for a pressing. No 9.8s and the 9.6s I got had no grader notes but what was interesting were the 9.4 grader notes. For two of them, the only note that was said was "spine stress line spine". Would that not be something a pressing is designed to eliminate? No indication it was color-breaking or anything else. Just that single note. Anyone else feeling underwhelmed with CCS'S results?

29 minutes ago, Darkwing7869 said:

I submitted about a dozen of older but still modern books to CGC with a stop off at CCS for a pressing. No 9.8s and the 9.6s I got had no grader notes but what was interesting were the 9.4 grader notes. For two of them, the only note that was said was "spine stress line spine". Would that not be something a pressing is designed to eliminate? No indication it was color-breaking or anything else. Just that single note. Anyone else feeling underwhelmed with CCS'S results?

I sent in an ASM 14 that I'm pretty sure was never even pressed.  I've only used CCS once and that was my experience. 

I think it would be impossible to agree or disagree with the grades without seeing each book. Pressing your books wont always net you a grade improvement in fact there have been many cases where pressing hurt the grade. All you can do is learn what a good pressing candidate looks like and send it off. Color breaks will never disappear so use that as a starting point in finding your "candidates".

10 hours ago, Ride the Tiger said:

I think it would be impossible to agree or disagree with the grades without seeing each book. Pressing your books wont always net you a grade improvement in fact there have been many cases where pressing hurt the grade. All you can do is learn what a good pressing candidate looks like and send it off. Color breaks will never disappear so use that as a starting point in finding your "candidates".

Its not so much about grade improvements. Its more about grader notes and what a pressing is expected to achieve. The grader notes on my 9.4s simply say "spine stress lines" none of which are color-breaking and this was AFTER getting it pressed by CCS. I always figured that one of the things that a pressing is supposed to achieve is eliminating non-colorbreaking stress lines. Thats why people get things pressed. Is it not?

The spine is probably the hardest of bends to remove. There is no guarantee they will come out. I think people who have taken their book apart and then pressed the spine have gotten slightly better results. But CCS does not take your book apart. Best candidates for pressing are the bends in the cover other than the spine. I think people expect automatically if there is no color break, their 9.6 will become a 9.8. Not so.

I guess you can always get a cheesy quarter bin book that has stress lines that don't break color and see what results you can achieve by pressing it yourself.

Edited by Philflound

"Spine stress lines" is one of those grader notes that don't tell you much. To begin with, if the area along the spine is white, you'll never see "color breaking" mentioned. Creases in white areas are the same.  Because white is the absence of color, you'll never see "color breaking" mentioned.  The paper fibers might be slightly damaged and show some stress lines. But it won't say color breaking.  And then there are some defects that despite sounding as though a press might fix won't respond to a press. 

If you don't have the books in hand yet, you should try not to form an opinion on the effectiveness of the pressing.  Wait to see the books. 

Edited by Tony S

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 5:51 PM, Tony S said:

"Spine stress lines" is one of those grader notes that don't tell you much. To begin with, if the area along the spine is white, you'll never see "color breaking" mentioned. Creases in white areas are the same.  Because white is the absence of color, you'll never see "color breaking" mentioned.  The paper fibers might be slightly damaged and show some stress lines. But it won't say color breaking.  And then there are some defects that despite sounding as though a press might fix won't respond to a press. 

If you don't have the books in hand yet, you should try not to form an opinion on the effectiveness of the pressing.  Wait to see the books. 

Does most everyone use CCS for pressing or is there someone else that you like to use? I know there are other services listed on the internet that will press comics and then send them in to CGC. I've never used any of them, however.

On 4/26/2018 at 2:21 PM, Dr. Funance said:

Thanks Pirate. That is what I am trying to do by asking other collectors about their experiences.

CCS is now part of CGC so it's been an unspoken rule that people do not promote competitors of CCS on the CGC boards.  A private message to some of the posters in this thread is a great way to get some insider info.

35 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

CCS is now part of CGC so it's been an unspoken rule that people do not promote competitors of CCS on the CGC boards.  A private message to some of the posters in this thread is a great way to get some insider info.

Why is this an unspoken Rule? That seems inconsistent with, for example, the numismatic thread(s). Isn't it a form of promotion for exploring other alternatives, considering criticism of the service is allowed? I would think the host welcomes fair and honest comments from users, as a barometer of what the host can do to improve and satisfy customers, so customers would not explore other alternatives.

9 minutes ago, Mr.Mcknowitall said:

Why is this an unspoken Rule? That seems inconsistent with, for example, the numismatic thread(s). Isn't it a form of promotion for exploring other alternatives, considering criticism of the service is allowed? I would think the host welcomes fair and honest comments from users, as a barometer of what the host can do to improve and satisfy customers, so customers would not explore other alternatives.

I think it's extrapolating from their banning the mention of other grading companies.  

What baffles me is how CCS service doesn't constitute a blatant conflict of interest assuming you're getting books graded by the same company that's fixing them up for you.  :screwy:

1 minute ago, s.krank said:

I think it's extrapolating from their banning the mention of other grading companies.  

What baffles me is how CCS service doesn't constitute a blatant conflict of interest assuming you're getting books graded by the same company that's fixing them up for you.  :screwy:

Thank you. I don't extrapolate that connection. Is CCS "grading"? While their activities may enhance (or not according to some comments already) a Grade, it does not seem to me that our Host would not want open discussion about their abilities, or lack thereof.

Reading the numismatic threads, such an unspoken policy extrapolated from a ban for mentioning competitors certainly clashes with such an extrapolation.

I would be very surprised if the Host does not, unspoken or not, benefit from an commentary good or bad about the service.

The Macy's Rule: send them across the street if we can't do it. Good business, and incentive to get better.

Interesting that such an unspoken rule exists, these days.

10 minutes ago, s.krank said:

Not the most logical illogic I have come across, but close.lol

6 hours ago, Mr.Mcknowitall said:

Thank you. I don't extrapolate that connection. Is CCS "grading"?

No.  It's restoration, conservation, dry cleaning,  pressing ect.  (Some consider pressing restoration)

On 4/26/2018 at 1:21 PM, Dr. Funance said:

Thanks Pirate. That is what I am trying to do by asking other collectors about their experiences.

I'm sure your intentions are honorable but the topic of pressing service recommendations is in poor taste to discuss here. The topic always ends badly. Please consider dropping the discussion. It's not about violating rules per se but simply being polite to our host. 

Edited by Bomber-Bob