• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NAME WRITTEN ON COVER IN MARKER
1 1

9 posts in this topic

So does anyone have a solution for me? I submitted to Razor no. 1 to CGC to be graded. It came back with the following notes "light bends to cover" usually reserved for a 9.2 or 9.4 grade. However, it was graded as 8.5 due to NAME WRITTEN ON COVER IN MARKER. This was a bagged copy of RAZOR #1 with a COA as 500/3000 signed copies by Everett Hartsoe. Okay, I get that CGC does not verify signatures but why does that mean that signatures are severely penalized in grading??? So now I have a misgraded rare comic with a COA in an accompanied bag. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

10 hours ago, jgrives22 said:

So does anyone have a solution for me? I submitted to Razor no. 1 to CGC to be graded. It came back with the following notes "light bends to cover" usually reserved for a 9.2 or 9.4 grade. However, it was graded as 8.5 due to NAME WRITTEN ON COVER IN MARKER. This was a bagged copy of RAZOR #1 with a COA as 500/3000 signed copies by Everett Hartsoe. Okay, I get that CGC does not verify signatures but why does that mean that signatures are severely penalized in grading??? So now I have a misgraded rare comic with a COA in an accompanied bag. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Not being a signature authentication service unless a CGC representative eye-witnesses a signature written on the book with their own eyes, the CGC notes reflect exactly what they slabbed. A book with a name written on the cover. Take heart. Although I take every COA that accompanies a signature with a grain of salt, I have no doubt that when the CGC encapsulates a signed book with their yellow signature series label, that autograph is authentic. The only way that the CGC can ensure that type of integrity is to slab only items their reps witness being signed with the yellow label. There are marvel movie forged cast posters all over ebay with fake COAs that aren't worth the paper they're printed on. A COA still leaves an element of doubt. Many times, a COA is a knock off. Fake. A real COA is typically based on an opinion of authenticity. The CGC leaves nothing to chance. Only witnessed signatures are slabbed in their signature series slabs, the ultimate guarantee of authenticity, COA notwithstanding.

Edited by James J Johnson

1 hour ago, Jaydogrules said:

You could always ask them to grade it under their "Qualified" criteria  (green label).

-J.

Normally they do this with a high grade book, which leads me to suspect the flaws of the book itself will keep it in this range. I have a feeling he will be less happy with a Green 9.0 than a Blue 8.5 .

On 4/20/2018 at 8:55 AM, jgrives22 said:

No great solutions will be forthcoming. This is simply what happens when you submit an already signed book to CGC. Also, I don't think your book was 'severely' penalized for the signature, otherwise they would have put it in a Green Qualified Label. I suspect your book was maybe a 9.0ish so they gave you an 8.5 Blue. Maybe a corner was dinged or bent and you didn't notice it through the bag. That's all it would take to downgrade it to this range. Perhaps you can get it pressed and resubmit but I don't think it's worth the expense.

A book that high should be qualified. OP doesn't mention whether or not he has a blue or green label. Just because you have a few spine dings that you think should be a 9.2 or 9.4 doesn't rule out other defects. Do you have grader notes? Possibly a small stain or crease somewhere on the cover? Several bends would definitely lower it to an 8.5. You said this was bagged? Dynamic Forces? Or was it polybagged? Polybag would most likely leave a vertical line.

Edited by Philflound

On 4/22/2018 at 10:13 AM, Grendel72 said:

Why should a signature when not witnessed by cgc bring a book down a grade (in general) and not at all when it has been witnessed. The authenticity of the signature should have no bearing on the grade. 

Unwitnessed signatures are essentially "writing on the cover".  If you request a blue label on such a book, you'll usually end up with a grade no higher than about 6.0. So CGC has a green (qualified) label for just such books.  The numeric grade is the same as if there was no signature counting as a defect.  But a green label. 

As others have noted, the book the OP posts up about most likely is - and should be - a green label book . If it's a blue label the OP in fact got a gift grade. It should have been much lower than 8.5 as a blue label. 

This issue comes up on these boards regularly. COA's don't mean anything.