• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Multiple covers
1 1

60 posts in this topic

Just to update everyone. I just had it graded. 1st cover 8.5, 2nd cover 9.2 3rd cover 9.4 4th cover 9.4 interior cover 9.4. Was hoping for higher, but good enough. I plan on putting it on Ebay soon. Have not received it yet. Should get it soon.  Any suggestions on how much I should start the bids at?

Edited by Rayhock

2 hours ago, Rayhock said:

Just to update everyone. I just had it graded. 1st cover 8.5, 2nd cover 9.2 3rd cover 9.4 4th cover 9.4 interior cover 9.4. Was hoping for higher, but good enough. I plan on putting it on Ebay soon. Have not received it yet. Should get it soon.  Any suggestions on how much I should start the bids at?

Not sure on price, but what grade ended up on the label in the upper left corner....? Probably 9.4, right? Not too shabby :foryou:

14 minutes ago, divad said:

From the pic on page 1, I'm surprised that it got an 8.5. Clearly irrelevant.

Yes, a very generous grade on the 8.5 but, as you stated, irrelevant. I wonder if CGC is generous in this situation to discourage the removal of the first cover ? I do think the eye appeal of that first cover will discourage some buyers.

50 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Yes, a very generous grade on the 8.5 but, as you stated, irrelevant. I wonder if CGC is generous in this situation to discourage the removal of the first cover ? I do think the eye appeal of that first cover will discourage some buyers.

That's an interesting observation, Bob. I would like to think they still maintain an impartial view regardless of how many covers the book has...(shrug)

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Sad thing is, it did originally have 7 covers. 

40 minutes ago, Rayhock said:

I don't think the front cover looks that bad.

I did not mean to imply it looked bad, it does not look bad. However, the big number will say 9.4 and the front cover is far from 9.4. Usually, with a 'normal' double cover, the two grades will be quite close, if not the same. In this case, there is a big disparity. 

I was young and not that knowledgeable about collecting. Basically, The first cover got in pretty bad shape so I removed it. I assume that is also how the other one got removed. Although I can't remember. I just know it had 7 covers when I brought it new at the store.

58 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

That's an interesting observation, Bob. I would like to think they still maintain an impartial view regardless of how many covers the book has...(shrug)

After further review, with the given pic of the front cover and all the glare, I cannot ascertain a grade. I seem to see something like 15 deep spine ticks but some of the tics may be glare. (shrug)

12 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

After further review, with the given pic of the front cover and all the glare, I cannot ascertain a grade. I seem to see something like 15 deep spine ticks but some of the tics may be glare. (shrug)

Yes, Sorry it isn't the best pic. At the time I was just trying to verify that I actually had it. I am pretty sure it is better then it looks in the pic. Still waiting for it to get back from being graded. Will post pics when it gets here.

12 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Here's something else to consider, BB: When grading a book with this many covers, it takes quite a bit of time and effort. You not only have to enter it all into the computer system (a chore all by itself) you also have to inspect each cover very carefully, because it's tougher to grade the interior covers (try it sometime, you'll see what I'm talking about). By the time you get done, you can actually forget what grade you gave the first cover, so unless you write it down somewhere you may have to start all over again...  lol 

2 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

Here's something else to consider, BB: When grading a book with this many covers, it takes quite a bit of time and effort. You not only have to enter it all into the computer system (a chore all by itself) you also have to inspect each cover very carefully, because it's tougher to grade the interior covers (try it sometime, you'll see what I'm talking about). By the time you get done, you can actually forget what grade you gave the first cover, so unless you write it down somewhere you may have to start all over again...  lol 

I hope the lol means that the above is total BS . . . 

1 minute ago, divad said:

I hope the lol means that the above is total BS . . . 

For any professional grader, multiple covers are similar to riding down the expressway at 75 miles per hour, and then suddenly seeing a sign that says "Road Construction: Next 47 miles. Expect delays." As a friend of mine used to say: "That's not funny ha-ha, that's funny sad."  

2 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

For any professional grader, multiple covers are similar to riding down the expressway at 75 miles per hour, and then suddenly seeing a sign that says "Road Construction: Next 47 miles. Expect delays." As a friend of mine used to say: "That's not funny ha-ha, that's funny sad."  

Define "professional grader" hm