• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Multiple covers
1 1

60 posts in this topic

Thanks. I am just concerned about being able to sell it for a profit.  Would I be able to sell it more than the cost of having it graded? If it didn't have the extra covers, I wouldn't buy it from a dollar box.

Shadroch, I would certainly consider your offer. Maybe I should just put in on eBay and see what I get. Or maybe the sales board. I am new here, so have not even seen the sales board yet.

Edited by Rayhock
Random word was inserted for some reason.

Get it graded. If I'm not mistaken CGC will grade the highest cover (I know they do that with double covers, not sure how they'll treat a higher cover count) but if that is correct and it is a NM copy than your chances of getting a 9.8 are actually quite high. If you do get a 9.8 on this you could get up to several hundreds for this as this random non key book demonstrates 

IMG_5207.PNG

I have an Avengers 294 with 2 covers (seems like the closest comparison to your situation, in regards to desirability of a normal version of the comic), that I got graded. Came back 9.4. I've been offered $50 on eBay, so I think it's fair to say that you should have no problem recovering grading costs. 

I'd recommend getting it signed if you can. Then you have a SS slab on which a cover can still be removed if the buyer doesn't like sigs, and still have a complete unsigned book beneath the top cover. Use a pen that doesn't bleed through the paper.

fwiw 

People really do seek them out. If it was graded and comfortably priced it would sell, but get it graded now and have a momento....the age and time may make it a better after a while :)

I would get it graded. It looks like the outer cover has several spine dings. If the inner covers are better, then you can possibly get a 9.8 or even higher. Each cover is listed on the label with their respective cover grade.

The overall grade of the book most of the time is the highest cover grade. Exception to this is if a book interior has flaws that would lower the overall book below the highest cover grade. Things like large or multiple tears, centerfold detached, or coupon/mvs stamp cut out are examples where a comic would grade lower than the cover grades. Some people have that misconception that the highest cover grade will be the overall grade. 

BTW: the interior cover is not always the higher grade. Interior touches the page, which usually will lead to tanning on the interior cover where the other cover interiors remain white or close to it. The middle covers usually will be the best, especially on older books. The most I've seen is 7 covers.

Edited by Philflound