• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CCS Evaluation - Approval / Rejection effectiveness

7 posts in this topic

Just seeking input on anyone that has used CCS review services.

What has your ratio been on books that were approved after evaluation actually having grade bumps? I know there is no guarantee but wouldn't CCS reputation be on the line for approving books that don't get grade bumps? Have been building a batch of books graded 2004-2010ish that I think are prime candidates for bumps based on visual inspection and grader notes (all higher value books) so thinking about submitting for review.

Edited by 1p36DSA

I'm 1 for 1 for 1 with them.

1 copper age 9.4 with OW/W was recommended for pressing and received both a grade bump and pq bump to 9.6 WP.

1 Sliver age 9.4 WP was recommended for pressing and got a grade decrease and pq decrease to 9.2 OW/WP

1 Silver age book got a walkthrough recommendation for pressing.

based on past results and high costs of grading walkthrough, what do you think I should do with that last one?

Always consider the defects. Something that has lots of bends would probably be a good candidate. Something with a lot of creases wouldn't be. You can't press tears. Also, anything brittle won't be considered or even if it's possibly brittle. If you comic has tears at the staple that looks to get detached, or detached staples already, most likely not going to be approved for pressing.

Also consider the monetary reward. If you can make a few hundred or few thousand on a grade bump, spending the $15 or whatever for the pressing is well worth the risk, even in the end if you don't get the bump. Most likely your book will look nicer in the same grade and may sell faster. Going off 2 books from Justafan doesn't tell you anything. You need to hear from someone submitting 100 books and see how their success rate is.

Edited by Philflound

I am personally underwhelmed with CCS as of late. I have gotten several books graded now that were pressed by them and the grader notes showed flaws that one would expect to be rectified with a pressing such as non-colorbreaking spine stress lines. Also, they are far more expensive than most other places. 

so why do people use them?  Convenience of being next door?  If a book is close, they aren't going to turn down money.  The key is to educate yourself on what can and can't be pressed.