• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to determine grading tier?

13 posts in this topic

I apologize if this is covered somewhere else, but I can't find at all in a Google search for figure it out from the site. I have some modern age comics I want to submit. Nothing crazy, things like Wolverine #1, Amazing Spider-Man #300, My books might be worth as low as $100 ungraded, or up to $800 (at the very top level) once graded and if sold on ebay. I can't figure out what tier to submit them under. Can I submit them all using the Modern tier?  Someone told me that Max Value ($200) is pretty much just for insurance purposes, and I can use that if I am okay if I only receive $200 if the book is damaged? Based on ebay auctions, there is a possibility that the books could sell for over $400. So does that mean I need to use the much higher priced Standard  Tier?

I guess what I am asking, is what determines value and which tier I am required to use. Thanks for any help.  

1 hour ago, SBRobin said:

I apologize if this is covered somewhere else, but I can't find at all in a Google search for figure it out from the site. I have some modern age comics I want to submit. Nothing crazy, things like Wolverine #1, Amazing Spider-Man #300, My books might be worth as low as $100 ungraded, or up to $800 (at the very top level) once graded and if sold on ebay. I can't figure out what tier to submit them under. Can I submit them all using the Modern tier?  Someone told me that Max Value ($200) is pretty much just for insurance purposes, and I can use that if I am okay if I only receive $200 if the book is damaged? Based on ebay auctions, there is a possibility that the books could sell for over $400. So does that mean I need to use the much higher priced Standard  Tier?

I guess what I am asking, is what determines value and which tier I am required to use. Thanks for any help.  

You can use the Modern Tier. If CGC determines, after grading, that the value is too high for the tier they will bump you. And you are correct on the insurance aspect. Good luck on your submissions !

Thank you very much for the quick response. So I assume on the submission form I just list the max value of $200 next to each comic for "Declared Value?" Looks like that gives me a total of $180 for grading on six books. Does that sound right? And should I use Domestic US Registered Mail or do you guys recommend Fedex/UPS? I don't want them to come back all bent up. 

Your books will not get bent up since they are sealed in a very sturdy hard plastic case. The only way you'll get damage is if the package is damaged and the case is cracked and even then your book still may not be damaged. If your comics look pretty much mint, you may want to go with the higher tier, but I can't say how many people think their books look NM and they end up a 7.0 - 8.0 at best. So unless a 9.8 sells for well over $1000, throw them in the modern if they are books 1975 or later and like Bob says, they'll possibly get bumped if they turn out to be 9.8s.

It's rare for CGC to bump up modern's to a higher tier. CGC's own advertisement for rolling the modern tier back to 1975 is a picture of a Giant Size X-Men 1 in 9.6. That's a book worth over $3000.  People are sending in ASM 300's, New Mutants 98 and NYX 3 all the time as modern tier submissions. 

Your question about shipping is actually more important.  FedEx and UPS shipments have $100 in insurance. The entire box - not each comic. Loss or damage is uncommon - but not unheard of.  IF FedEx or UPS were to lose or damage your package of say six books the best you would get is a note from the carrier saying "we're sorry" and a check for $100.  So using FedEx or UPS  comes down to your aversion to risk.  As the saying goes, the fact the odds were 1 in 1000 doesn't mean much if YOU are the one. 

If you declare each book at $200, send in say six books and use Registered Mail, your package travels back to you insured for $1200.  But equally important is how Registered Mail works.  Where loss or damage is uncommon with FedEx and UPS, it's virtually unheard of with Registered mail. This is the service jewelers use to ship diamond rings.  Registered mail is packaged so as to be tamper evident, it doesn't travel with other classes of mail, when it's not actually moving it's locked up.  So you might still be under insured at $1200 for your package of six books. But you 12x more insurance than $100 AND you are using the service that gets as close to "for certain" as is humanly possible. Registered Mail costs more and takes longer, but it's worth it. 

Use the modern tier, list each book at $200 and have the books returned by Registered Mail.  And welcome to the boards! 

Edited by Tony S

Thank you again!  I have just one more question, and then I'm going to submit. I want to include a 1971 comic. Since it's not eligible for modern, is the only difference (other than turnaround) between sending it standard or economy how much I want it insured for? It would only be worth maybe a max of $500. 

3 hours ago, SBRobin said:

Thank you again!  I have just one more question, and then I'm going to submit. I want to include a 1971 comic. Since it's not eligible for modern, is the only difference (other than turnaround) between sending it standard or economy how much I want it insured for? It would only be worth maybe a max of $500. 

To answer your question, the tier you select is more than just about the insurance. The turnaround time is different. You will wait longer on the economy than the standard. Mostly because of the shipping, my advice is don't do one inexpensive book in a submission.

On 2/11/2022 at 4:30 PM, Cthulhu Guy said:

I have a Spawn 174, 175, 165 they are pretty much over 1k on ebay and they pretty modern, what tier should i use. 

Your options are modern, modern fast track, or standard.   The tier will reflect your insured value, how much they charge you and how long it takes to get graded and returned.  

On 8/7/2022 at 3:34 PM, Badgerdwarf said:

I have Secret Wars 1 and its in pretty decent condition from what I can tell...would I just go modern with that?

Yes, modern would work just fine.  If it gets a 9.8 CGC will likely bump you to a higher tier.  But if that happens be happy! 

On 8/8/2022 at 8:31 PM, Tony S said:

Yes, modern would work just fine.  If it gets a 9.8 CGC will likely bump you to a higher tier.  But if that happens be happy! 

Cool thanks...as soon as I get my kit I have a lot to get graded

Good morning.. Anyone out there have any idea what Avengers #4 Raw 3.5 grade should be submitted into CGC?  GoCollect FMV is showing $1,450, but ComicspriceGuide is showing $780.00.

Can this book be submitted into Standard tier? Max value is $1,000 or will CGC regard this book as Express with $3k max since the FMV is $1,450?

Thanks in advance.