• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I have a question. Is "The Amazing Spider-man #252" count as a key comic to go for above $1000 or $4,999 if Stan Lee's autograph is on it?
3 3

31 posts in this topic

Hi.

I know I never posted in the forum on CGC before but I am asking for information I would like to know from some comic book experts or people that know them.

Is "The Amazing Spider-man #252" from 1984 any special to be a key comic that can go above $1,000-$4,999 if you have Stan Lee's autograph on there? And what is the best variant to be worth more? The original or the Mark Jewelers? 

I would like to know because this the 50% first appearance of Venom. And I happened to find a CGC'ed copy of it on ebay selling for $9,300 now. 

Edited by Convention dude94

1 hour ago, Convention dude94 said:

Hi.

I know I never posted in the forum on CGC before but I am asking for information I would like to know from some comic book experts or people that know them.

Is "The Amazing Spider-man #252" from 1984 any special to be a key comic that can go above $1,000-$4,999 if you have Stan Lee's autograph on there? And what is the best variant to be worth more? The original or the Mark Jewelers? 

I would like to know because this the 50% first appearance of Venom. And I happened to find a CGC'ed copy of it on ebay selling for $9,300 now. 

Great first post. WTTB!

Edited by creaturefan95
war is hell

Hello @Convention dude94  and welcome!

Here is an example from eBore for you to consider:

252.thumb.PNG.618d461742e3b032abe4ad7f7a40811c.PNG

As you can see, it hasn't sold. 

If it had a Mark Jewelers insert, it may go for slightly more than a copy without one. Or it may not. If it had a Pizzazz insert in it, it would be a fake. Maybe see if you could get Stan to sign it in blood? That seems to be the latest thing. Or poo. Although that may actually affect the value in a negative way, as people tend not to like poo on their comics, even if it came from a famous arse. 

Quick question - are you over the age of 12? I have an issue with people mocking newbies if they are young children. If you are a fully fledged adult though, and have a full set of sandwiches in your picnic basket, would you mind if I mercilessly mocked you too?

P.S. Please reply. We're all getting slightly fed up with one time questioners (thumbsu

3 hours ago, Convention dude94 said:

Hi.

It's The first appearance of the black suit, tied with I think a Marvel Team Up #141. So no venom appearance. Is it going up in value? Yes, and 9.8 is a high grade. Is it a cover swipe from amazing fantasy 15, the first appearance of Spiderman? Yes, and maybe the only reason that Stan Lee's signature offers any bonus. Other than that, if it is worth it to you then go for it, but no I wouldn't offer up a grand for it...

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

It's an extremely common, overvalued issue. There are 875 Universal 9.8s and 255 Signature Series 9.8s in the census. There are probably thousands of raw 9.8s out there.

That said, Stan's autograph may eventually have a fixed value, regardless of what it's on. I have no idea what that value will be twenty years from now when he's no longer with us. However, he has autographed many, many comics and continues to do so. so his autograph is by no means scarce.

Edited by jimbo_7071

5 hours ago, Convention dude94 said:

Hi.

I believe the copy listing on eBay for $9300 is a 9.8 double cover. 

2 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

It's The first appearance of the black suit, tied with I think a Marvel Team Up #141. So no venom appearance. Is it going up in value? Yes, and 9.8 is a high grade. Is it a cover swipe from amazing fantasy 15, the first appearance of Spiderman? Yes, and maybe the only reason that Stan Lee's signature offers any bonus. Other than that, if it is worth it to you then go for it, but no I wouldn't offer up a grand for it...

Ok, but is it a key comic? I mean it's the introduction to the black suit.

11 minutes ago, Convention dude94 said:

Yes it is a key.... less copies had the mark jeweler insert, so if there are a lot of copies in high grade, which there seems to be as this book takes off, then a mark jeweler "might" be unique enough to guarantee it would resell etc so definitely a key but there are a lot of "unique" or at least different aspects out there. Some may be into the newsstand, the regular, the Canadian price variant, the multiple cover, the signed, that's the ones I know of.... yes it is a key though, and this is all just extra info to help you on your search. :foryou:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

11 hours ago, jimbo_7071 said:

That said, Stan's autograph may eventually have a fixed value, regardless of what it's on. I have no idea what that value will be twenty years from now when he's no longer with us.

I predict the fixed value will not be what people have paid for it at a Convention or Private Signing over the last oh......20 years. 

Edited by Mercury Man