• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I have a question. Is "The Amazing Spider-man #252" count as a key comic to go for above $1000 or $4,999 if Stan Lee's autograph is on it?
3 3

31 posts in this topic

90 Day avg on 9.8 Stan Lee SS is $775.

Last Sale was over 900.

A blue label 9.8 will run you just over 500.  

Is Stan’s sig a $2-400 premium?  For me, no.  As someone else said, his sig is on everything.  

I’m not really a big SS fan to begin with. Less so when it’s a sig on a book that someone didn’t directly work on.

Stan sig on ASM 52?  Cool

Stan on ASM 252?  Not so much

On 4/21/2018 at 5:11 AM, Mercury Man said:

I predict the fixed value will not be what people have paid for it at a Convention or Private Signing over the last oh......20 years. 

Oh I agree. In fact his autograph may even deter many buyers in the future.

On 4/20/2018 at 5:46 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

It's an extremely common, overvalued issue. There are 875 Universal 9.8s and 255 Signature Series 9.8s in the census. There are probably thousands of raw 9.8s out there.

Reminds me of this comic broker that used to be active in the hobby.

Being a former coin collector who was used to collecting rolls of coins, he told me that he picked up 50 copies of this issue due to all of the advanced hype on the book.  Not sure if it worked out for him though since the book really didn't move up all that much considering all of the uber HG copies sitting out there.  (shrug)

On 4/20/2018 at 3:43 PM, Convention dude94 said:

Hi.

I know I never posted in the forum on CGC before but I am asking for information I would like to know from some comic book experts or people that know them.

Is "The Amazing Spider-man #252" from 1984 any special to be a key comic that can go above $1,000-$4,999 if you have Stan Lee's autograph on there? And what is the best variant to be worth more? The original or the Mark Jewelers? 

I would like to know because this the 50% first appearance of Venom. And I happened to find a CGC'ed copy of it on ebay selling for $9,300 now. 

I'd pay more for an unsigned copy.

I get all the not wanting his sig on books he didn’t write but you can’t deny it’s adding a ton of value and people want it. He is the creator of Spider-Man so it’s less wierd than on an x23 book at least. 

Books I know have way more value when you have his sig Along with the actual writers and artists: Spider-Man 300 and 129. Also likely to go up more when he passes away.