• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ToS 39, restored or not?

9 posts in this topic

You need to get a full picture of the inside of the front cover/first page and inside back cover/last page. Only way to tell if there's color touch for sure from pics. The 12 and the circle look a little suspect to me.

And those tears on the edge looked to be sealed/glued so that would be restored there I believe.

Edited by Finhead

This is color touched (amateur). It's very visible, especially in that first (top) panel on the left, if you look at the blue and black areas, it's done amateurishly. The blue not well matched and I'd be surprised if there wasn't bleed through to the inside because it does not look like acrylic. As pointed out already, the 12 c ring is touched as is the number 1 at midway, a felt-tip stroke across the number. There's a lot more there, too numerous to mention. It appears to be felt tip. It's definitely not pro work on a whole.

Edited by James J Johnson

41 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

It also has Rusty Staples with migration. Looks pretty bad. Between the CT, tear seals, and terrible staples, I would not purchase this book. 

It would have to be a tremendous bargain price, a deal he couldn't refuse. If left alone, that color touch is going to further migrate outward thus change color and become even more unattractive. If all the color touch is removed and redone correctly, by a pro, including all the other issues to be addressed like the wheat paste or Elmer's glue closed right edge tears, what's left behind will require a massive resto job = extensive. Costly, lots of hours and for what. Best is to leave it alone and let the chips fall where they may, but as stated, this has to be a fantastic bargain to do that. Can't pay a serious price for this, maybe 20% of unrestored VG price at the most. TOS 39 is a common key. No problem finding another. Which is my best advice, a +1 with Bomber-Bob. Pass and keep looking.