• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #799 Printing Defect???

20 posts in this topic

Hi All!

After making the rounds at my LCSs I noticed that every single copy of the regular edition has the same defect: a very fine and subtle semicircle indentation on the bottom right corner of the front page. At first I assumed it was a damaged copy when I looked at my 1st copy, but every single one had it. Same at every shop I visited.

Does anyone have copies WITHOUT it? I was planning on submitting my copies to CGC, but I won't do so if these puppies are going to be dinged for a production flaw while there are copies out there without the error.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by KEY ISSUES Comics

4 hours ago, KEY ISSUES Comics said:

Hi All!

After making the rounds at my LCSs I noticed that every single copy of the regular edition has the same defect: a very fine and sublet semicircle indentation on the bottom right corner of the front page. At first I assumed it was a damaged copy when I looked at my 1st copy, but every single one had it. Same at every shop I visited.

Does anyone have copies WITHOUT it? I was planning on submitting my copies to CGC, but I won't do so if these puppies are going to be dinged for a production flaw while there are copies out there without the error.

Thanks in advance!

My single copy is perfect.

27 minutes ago, KEY ISSUES Comics said:

Are you certain? It's rather subtle.

What part of the world are you in out of curiosity?

Canada but I'm in the part that doesn't get defective books.  :baiting:

Now that you made me actually look :blush:  .....this 'circle' seems to follow the colour change on the cover, I'll go with optical illusion but either way I don't care too much about it.  

3 minutes ago, bababooey said:

Canada but I'm in the part that doesn't get defective books.  :baiting:

Now that you made me actually look :blush:  .....this 'circle' seems to follow the colour change on the cover, I'll go with optical illusion but either way I don't care too much about it.  

I'll triple check mine again. Thanks!

all the ones at flashack comics in VA have them. very hard to see. you have to hold the comic at an angle to the light and allow the glare to shine on the area to see it. it's about a 1/2" semicircle but doesn't break color. I've seen cgc overlook bigger/more noticeable flaws on. 9.8. this is likely production related.

6 hours ago, justafan said:

all the ones at flashack comics in VA have them. very hard to see. you have to hold the comic at an angle to the light and allow the glare to shine on the area to see it. it's about a 1/2" semicircle but doesn't break color. I've seen cgc overlook bigger/more noticeable flaws on. 9.8. this is likely production related.

Yeah, that's it alright. It's even difficult to see when you know it's there! I'll try and post a photo shortly.

If I’m not mistaken what it is being referred to happens as the books are coming off the printer. I’ve only ever heard them referred to as “printer grabs” which leave the semi circle indentation the OP mentioned. The times I’ve noticed them it’s either been on the top or the lower corner of the front of the books. 

Hopefully someone with some printing experience can chime in to fully explain how it happens.  

2 minutes ago, IntoAnother said:

If I’m not mistaken what it is being referred to happens as the books are coming off the printer. I’ve only ever heard them referred to as “printer grabs” which leave the semi circle indentation the OP mentioned. The times I’ve noticed them it’s either been on the top or the lower corner of the front of the books. 

Hopefully someone with some printing experience can chime in to fully explain how it happens.  

That was my guess too. Just wondering if CGC will kill copies with it.

36 minutes ago, KEY ISSUES Comics said:

That was my guess too. Just wondering if CGC will kill copies with it.

I’d suggest giving them a call then. Based on the limited feedback in this thread it doesn’t sound as if the defect is common enough to be looked the other way on, which can be the case with other production related issues that are more common with other print runs. 

22 minutes ago, IntoAnother said:

I’d suggest giving them a call then. Based on the limited feedback in this thread it doesn’t sound as if the defect is common enough to be looked the other way on, which can be the case with other production related issues that are more common with other print runs. 

Thanks!

My copy here in KY had it and every copy I saw at the bookstore (about 20 I looked through) had it too.  I noticed it before I saw your pic.  I've seen CGC ignore this in the past but it depends on the grader I guess (my guess is that a lot of copies will have it it not maybe all...or at least a big batch of them will but it's non-color breaking and definitely press-out-able).  Not a big deal I don't think and I'm pretty OCD :)

Thanks for the pic, KIC!!!

On April 23, 2018 at 9:14 PM, Sensei Ryan said:

My copy here in KY had it and every copy I saw at the bookstore (about 20 I looked through) had it too.  I noticed it before I saw your pic.  I've seen CGC ignore this in the past but it depends on the grader I guess (my guess is that a lot of copies will have it it not maybe all...or at least a big batch of them will but it's non-color breaking and definitely press-out-able).  Not a big deal I don't think and I'm pretty OCD :)

Thanks for the pic, KIC!!!

My pleasure.

You may not think it's a "big deal", but I'm not risking CGC thinking it is, so I kept them out of latest submission. :wink: