• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just met Chuck Rozanski at coffee shop
1 1

102 posts in this topic

Great story, Kav.

I met Chuck years ago at the Bmore Comic Con.  As luck would have it, I had my portfolio with me which contained a page of art from 3 Geeks where they met Chuck.  I showed it to him and asked if he would sign it.  He obliged.  

788F1B41-1479-4B03-A719-BD0801A7CB82.jpeg

Edited by chrisco37

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I have talked to Chuck many times over the years. Yes, he's a showman, a bit off the hook and his prices... Well that's legendary from the start. Although, I did not mind buying Church books (most $25. Or less) at double guide way back in the '70's. I have always found him to be friendly, engaging, and very willing to talk about the collection he found. In fact, a little humble at times. He is truly a "comic guy" and still has a great love for the medium. He gets a bad rap in my opinion for how people perceive how he obtained the collection. I suspect that many if not most of us would have scooped up those books and drove off into the night with hearts pounding. At least he was smart enough to parlay it into a successful business. I am a lot more glad he got it than someone like the db from Storage Wars that recently stumbled into that huge collection recently. 

Now, would I do business with him now? Most probably not. If you see him somewhere, go up to him and say hi. He really is a kick to talk to and very friendly. 

I agree nice guy, prices however are from another planet....

On 4/21/2018 at 2:30 PM, kav said:

That and this is the guy who made the single largest discovery in the history of comics.  Like some Indiana Jones figure.  I asked him what did it FEEL like to see all those books what did it smell like etc but time was short and I couldnt grill him like I wanted to.

what city were you in ??... just wondering ... not Denver i assume ??

2 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

what city were you in ??... just wondering ... not Denver i assume ??

Sacramento.  He was going to some diversity thing.

1 hour ago, kav said:

chuck2.jpg

Those are the frozen chicken boxes they used before long boxes came around.

cool pic. Never saw that one before :applause:

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 11:01 AM, kav said:

I was at coffee shop as usual with comics and someone said nice comics then I looked over and it was Chuck Rosanski!  He only had a few minutes so I started asking him about the mile high collection he said he originally was considering buying the collection it was mostly mid low grade sci fi and horror stuff so he made offer then they said you'll have to take the rest he said what they opened a locked closet and all he could see was white-5 foot by 3 foot closet stacked with white page books.  He also said no the oldest books weren't at the bottom it was all completely random.  I had always thought the mile high collection was a basement or shed full of comics but no it was that closet.

Was he making that hand signal under the bathroom stall?

Just now, lizards2 said:

Was he making that hand signal under the bathroom stall?

jaw-dropping.gif

9 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

I agree nice guy, prices however are from another planet....

The prices are compensatory. To make up for giving away what now is worth incalculable millions for a song. It's the comic book equivalent of the Lenape Indians selling Manhattan to Peter Minuit for 60 guilder worth of baubles, bangles, beads, and getting a swift kick in the buns for a tip!

3 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Which Wood God? This one?

Rifleman10(RiflemanHasWood).jpg

The thing is, that’s no longer the most inappropriate photo cover I’ve ever seen, now that I’ve been alerted to the existence of an especially-disturbing clown cover.

On 4/21/2018 at 2:01 PM, kav said:

I was at coffee head shop as usual with comics and someone said nice comics then I looked over and it was Chuck Rosanski!  He only had a few minutes so I started asking him about the mile high collection he said he originally was considering buying the collection it was mostly mid low grade sci fi and horror stuff so he made offer then they said you'll have to take the rest he said what they opened a locked closet and all he could see was white-5 foot by 3 foot closet stacked with white page books.  He also said no the oldest books weren't at the bottom it was all completely random.  I had always thought the mile high collection was a basement or shed full of comics but no it was that closet.