• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Darker Image print runs

32 posts in this topic

Apologies if this has been discussed earlier, but I'm wondering about print runs for Darker Image # 1. Specifically, the relative print runs of:

# 1 (regular)

# 1 (regular, newsstand)

# 1 (gold)

# 1 (black and white/platinum)

# 1 (ashcan)

Any details regarding distribution or allocations would help too. Was # 1 gold a 1:50? 1:100?

In part, I'm asking because I suspect that today # 1 gold is actually harder to find than # 1 (B+W), but that doesn't make sense to me.

(And similar to how I think Supreme # 1 -- newsstand, without the foil -- is much harder to find than Supreme # 1 Gold.)

Edited by Gatsby77

Cap City sales numbers for Darker Image #1 *might* be in JJM's Krause catalog.

Otherwise, that info wasn't public.

The numbers bandied around for DI B&W (or "Platinum", as it was called back then) and gold were 5,000 each. I have no way of knowing if those numbers are accurate.

Neither are particularly rare. I bought an entire case of golds (150) and have about 140 left.

B&Ws are harder to find, in my experience, but not much harder.

I don't recall any sort of allocation numbers for these books. I believe they were for sale at Image booths throughout 1993. I suspect they may have been a "1 per store" deal. I know that the distributor I worked for had multiple copies of Maxx #1 Glow, because that was also a 1 per store issue, and he simply kept them. He was distributing to card shops that could not have cared less about them, and wouldn't know what to do with them if they had them.

However...the great volume of these books in the hands of individual entities, whether it be Steve Schanes, or the Image offices, leads me to believe that these were made for and sold at conventions, rather than store allocations, because in 1993, a "1 per store" store allocation would have resulted in a complete distribution (much like Spiderman #1 Platinum, which was a thank you gift to retailers in 1990 who ordered Spiderman #1)...there were, after all, nearly 10,000 Diamond accounts alone in 1993, and that was just Diamond. That doesn't preclude an allocation based on orders, though. It very well could have been 1 for every hundred regular copies ordered (recognizing that this was long before the variant incentive program, and these variants weren't available for order, or even generally known, prior to publication.)

Looking up Ebay offerings on gold and black and white versions, there seem to be more of these at about 8 total of each. The newsstand and ashcan seem to be about 6 each, though the ashcan is priced the highest of all. I think the newsstand is much harder to get than the gold or black and white. I did a specific search on ns though so regular listings may have newsstand copies without putting such in title.

https://rarecomics.wordpress.com/2017/01/04/darker-image-1-newsstand-1-95-cover-price-variant-1st-maxx-appearance/

But it turns out that Image Comics was not exclusive to the direct market, and newsstand copies do exist.  However, the number of them is so minuscule as to be practically invisible…  According to Chuck Rozanski, they do indeed exist but were a mere 1% of Image’s distribution!

4 minutes ago, Carl Elvis said:

https://rarecomics.wordpress.com/2017/01/04/darker-image-1-newsstand-1-95-cover-price-variant-1st-maxx-appearance/

But it turns out that Image Comics was not exclusive to the direct market, and newsstand copies do exist.  However, the number of them is so minuscule as to be practically invisible…  According to Chuck Rozanski, they do indeed exist but were a mere 1% of Image’s distribution!

Of course they exist. They're on Ebay right now. :)

I've been picking up Image newsstands for 2 years now pretty much every time I see them. I don't discriminate any title, but will pass on beat up copies of stuff.

Suffice it to say that, even with all of that, the gold and platinum versions are still far, far more "scarce" than the newsstand version. And that's true even when we consider ultra high grade: most of the golds were destroyed...irrevocably...by the heat seal on the bag they came in.

Some of the heat seals left deep indentations that can't be pressed out of the embossed, cardstock cover...and some of them took the ink right off. 

So forgot many examples of 9.8s of that particular book.

Don't believe the uninformed hype. 

I did a quick calculation in my head before I went to sleep last night, and came up with the following. At the time DI #1 was published, there were less than 60 total variants that had ever been published. Ever. That's fewer variants than ASM #666 or Godzilla #1 (2011.) And more than a 1/3rd of those were encompassed by a single title: Deadworld. Take that out, and you have fewer than 40.

(For the purposes of this discussion, the definition of "variant" is a book that was published with a purposely made difference distinguishing it from the "regular" item, for sale in the same market, at the same time, and marketed based ON that distinction, which would exclude the price variants, the "back cover variants" from Gold Key of the late 60's, and the various DC "purple" variants of the early 70's, as well as reprints, which were considered rubbish until the early 21st century.)

In roughly chronological order:

Turtles #3

Adventurers #1

Man of Steel #1

Justice League #3

Firestorm #61

Critters #22

Deadworld #5-25 (21)

Legends of the Dark Knight #1 (4)

Sandman #8

Dark Horse Presents #36

Spiderman #1 Silver & Platinum

Cry For Dawn #6, 7, 8, 9 Executive Editions

X-Men #1 (4...Deluxe Edition is a REPRINT)

Archer & Armstrong #0 Gold

Unity #0 Red

Eternal Warrior #1 Gold

Unity #1 Gold & Platinum

Dark Horse Presents: Aliens Platinum

Wildcats #1 Gold

Robocop Vs. Terminator #1 Platinum

Brigade #1 Gold

Hard Corps #1 Gold

Superman #75 Platinum

Predator vs. Magnus Robot Fighter #1 Platinum

Youngblood #0 Gold

Magnus #21 Gold

Did I miss any...?

And, as mentioned, the vast majority of these were distributed according to the designs of the publisher. They were most certainly not "ordering incentives", because there was no way for a publisher to gather all the disparate information from disparate distributors to determine who got what and how.

Some were simply sent out without any advance notice, as is the case with LOTDK #1, Adventurers #1, and Dark Horse Presents #36. Some were mistakes that turned into variants, like Turtles #3. Some were orderable as variants, like Deadworld, Spiderman #1 Silver, or X-Men #1. Some were gifts from the publisher, like Spiderman #1 Platinum or Dark Horse Presents Aliens: Platinum. Some were made to be handed out or sold at conventions, like most of the Image variants.

Of course, 1993 would see the big explosion of variants, and there would be more variants published that year than all previous years combined...but we weren't quite there yet.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus
The ants in France stay mainly on the plants.

Actually you are wrong with your statement about incentive variants in the 1990s. I used to have a store from 1993-1997 and I remember having to order so many copies of the regular issue to get one variant. One item I do remember is the Venom Lethal Protector #1. I ordered I believe 50 copies to get one gold. I remember this distinctly because since I did not pay for the incentive book, I used to raffle it to my customers. I think there were Valiant books like this too. Don't quote me on that one, but the Venom is a definite. Since it was so long ago, I can't remember much.

Posted this before reading your latest reply. But you are choosing not to include any deluxe vs regular editions in your list? There were plenty of those. I don't know if Sandman 8 would be a variant. I don't know the history behind why they changed the whole editorial thing, but that doesn't seem to be an incentive for anything.

Edited by Philflound

9 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Did I miss any...?

Man of Rust #1 1986 Blackthorne - A and B covers parody Man of Steel

Rust #1 1992 Adventure Comics - regular and gold foil cover

I think they fit your definition.

5 hours ago, Philflound said:

Actually you are wrong with your statement about incentive variants in the 1990s. I used to have a store from 1993-1997 and I remember having to order so many copies of the regular issue to get one variant. One item I do remember is the Venom Lethal Protector #1. I ordered I believe 50 copies to get one gold. I remember this distinctly because since I did not pay for the incentive book, I used to raffle it to my customers. I think there were Valiant books like this too. Don't quote me on that one, but the Venom is a definite. Since it was so long ago, I can't remember much.

Posted this before reading your latest reply. But you are choosing not to include any deluxe vs regular editions in your list? There were plenty of those. I don't know if Sandman 8 would be a variant. I don't know the history behind why they changed the whole editorial thing, but that doesn't seem to be an incentive for anything.

That's not correct. Venom Lethal Protector #1 Gold was a gift variant, for stores that ordered so and so many copies. It was not an ordering incentive. And that wasn't the first time a publisher had rewarded things to retailers for ordering so and so many. For instance...every store that ordered so many copies of X-Men #1 received a silver hologram card. For every store that ordered so many MORE copies got the gold hologram card.

I think...not sure at all, but I think...those numbers were 100 and 500.

600491.jpg

There's a difference., and it's an important one.

If you have any documentation that says otherwise, please provide it.

The mechanism for having ordering incentives simply didn't exist in 1993. These were given out as the result of orders, not to increase more orders. Can you imagine, the logistical nightmare of tracking incentive orders from the 20 to 30 national distributors that existed in 1993, not to mention the hundreds of sub-distributors? What if retailers ordered from multiple distributors (and some did, for varying reasons)...? That program could only be effectively enacted once there was only ONE national distributor: Diamond. Diamond tracks all those incentives, they tell the publishers how many to print, and the publisher gives the order to the printer. The publishers deal solely with Diamond. 

There were major problems with distribution in the early 90s already, which is why the Distribution Wars took place. Can anyone imagine the chaos if they threw incentive ordering into the mix...? People would be screaming bloody murder.

No, the publishers simply kept track of what the distributors ordered, and sent them enough of the variants to cover them, telling the distributors that they were gifts to retailers who ordered such and such amounts.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

I think there were Valiant books like this too. Don't quote me on that one, but the Venom is a definite. Since it was so long ago, I can't remember much.

No, none of the Valiant golds and other variants were ordering incentives. They were, like the others, gift books, to be handed out to stores or fans as Valiant saw fit.

There aren't very many before 1993. They would qualify, but I can't think of any from March of 1993 or earlier. There are tons and tons of them from 1993, 1994, 1995...but before then, hardly any. Example: Amazing Spiderman #358 was the first "gatefold" issue in the run. But the newsstand version was also a gatefold. ASM #365 was the first hologram issue in the run....but the newsstand, aside from the UPC and price box, was identical. Same with #375. It's not until we get to issue #388 (1994) that we have a deluxe version, and non-deluxe version that was different.

Same with FF. #358 was the first "gimmick" variant, but the newsstand was the same. #371 was the same as well. Same with #375. It's not until we get to #387 that you have a deluxe version and a regular.

I suppose we can add Eclipso: The Darkness Within #1, since this was made both with, and without, the gem. 

Wildcats #2 wouldn't qualify, because the Direct edition and the newsstand were sold in different markets, and one wasn't designed to be a variant of the other.

If you have any other examples from Mar 1993 or before, please feel free to share them.

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 1:14 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

I did a quick calculation in my head before I went to sleep last night, and came up with the following. At the time DI #1 was published, there were less than 60 total variants that had ever been published. Ever. That's fewer variants than ASM #666 or Godzilla #1 (2011.) And more than a 1/3rd of those were encompassed by a single title: Deadworld. Take that out, and you have fewer than 40.

(For the purposes of this discussion, the definition of "variant" is a book that was published with a purposely made difference distinguishing it from the "regular" item, for sale in the same market, at the same time, and marketed based ON that distinction, which would exclude the price variants, the "back cover variants" from Gold Key of the late 60's, and the various DC "purple" variants of the early 70's, as well as reprints, which were considered rubbish until the early 21st century.)

In roughly chronological order:

Turtles #3

Adventurers #1

Man of Steel #1

Justice League #3

Firestorm #61

Critters #22

Deadworld #5-25 (21)

Legends of the Dark Knight #1 (4)

Sandman #8

Dark Horse Presents #36

Spiderman #1 Silver & Platinum

Cry For Dawn #6, 7, 8, 9 Executive Editions

X-Men #1 (4...Deluxe Edition is a REPRINT)

Archer & Armstrong #0 Gold

Unity #0 Red

Eternal Warrior #1 Gold

Unity #1 Gold & Platinum

Dark Horse Presents: Aliens Platinum

Wildcats #1 Gold

Robocop Vs. Terminator #1 Platinum

Brigade #1 Gold

Hard Corps #1 Gold

Superman #75 Platinum

Predator vs. Magnus Robot Fighter #1 Platinum

Youngblood #0 Gold

Magnus #21 Gold

Did I miss any...?

And, as mentioned, the vast majority of these were distributed according to the designs of the publisher. They were most certainly not "ordering incentives", because there was no way for a publisher to gather all the disparate information from disparate distributors to determine who got what and how.

Some were simply sent out without any advance notice, as is the case with LOTDK #1, Adventurers #1, and Dark Horse Presents #36. Some were mistakes that turned into variants, like Turtles #3. Some were orderable as variants, like Deadworld, Spiderman #1 Silver, or X-Men #1. Some were gifts from the publisher, like Spiderman #1 Platinum or Dark Horse Presents Aliens: Platinum. Some were made to be handed out or sold at conventions, like most of the Image variants.

Of course, 1993 would see the big explosion of variants, and there would be more variants published that year than all previous years combined...but we weren't quite there yet.

Nexus Magazine #1 - Signed/numbered of 500 - sold at same time as regular #1.  This pre-dates all of them.

Eagle Special Edition #1 (2500 copies) - Slightly different cover and signed/numbered inside

Thundermace #1 B&W Cover (1000 copies) - Was sent to retailers in advance of the regular color version.  

What about the Milestone Platinums - Hardware, Static?  

The Neal Adams Continuity Books -  Valeria the She Bat #1 (I think there were two variants here - one with an acetate cover and one with a white cover), Deathwatch 2000 #0? 

3 hours ago, comiconxion said:

Nexus Magazine #1 - Signed/numbered of 500 - sold at same time as regular #1.  This pre-dates all of them.

Eagle Special Edition #1 (2500 copies) - Slightly different cover and signed/numbered inside

Thundermace #1 B&W Cover (1000 copies) - Was sent to retailers in advance of the regular color version.  

What about the Milestone Platinums - Hardware, Static?  

The Neal Adams Continuity Books -  Valeria the She Bat #1 (I think there were two variants here - one with an acetate cover and one with a white cover), Deathwatch 2000 #0? 

Nexus, if I'm not mistaken, is not a variant. It's just a signed and  numbered edition.

Got a pic of the Eagle Special Edition?

Thundermace #1 works. (That's obscure!)

The Milestones all came out in 1993, just after DI #1.

Valeria, Deathwatch in 1993 after DI #1.

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 8:36 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

Nexus, if I'm not mistaken, is not a variant. It's just a signed and  numbered edition.

Got a pic of the Eagle Special Edition?

Thundermace #1 works. (That's obscure!)

The Milestones all came out in 1993, just after DI #1.

Valeria, Deathwatch in 1993 after DI #1.

I had always thought that the Nexus #1 Special Edition had a different inside front cover, but I just dug out my copy and found that in fact it does seem to be the same as the regular edition, just signed in the bottom area by the creators.  What is different about this edition is that it comes with a special limited print, but that's not a cover variant.  I guess that was the cheaper way of creating a variant edition when they didn't want to print a different cover.  Although the Special Editions originally sold for $5 vs. $1.95, they didn't bother to change the cover price.  

Nexus1_Inside_Cover.jpg

Nexus1_Print.jpg