• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Darker Image print runs

32 posts in this topic

I agree that many "limited editions" were just the original comic signed and possibly did include some bonus item like you mentioned a print, poster, trading card, etc. I can't tell you how many "limited edition" Comax comics I own that I purchased the autographed copy for a buck more if I remember correctly. Same with Everett Hartsoe with Razor, though I think some of those actually were true variants. I loved my indies back in the 80s and 90s.

RMA, I know you have devoted a lot of time and energy to these topics, but why would these variants be so beat to heck when I see a regular stream of nearly pristine regular overstock copies of these books in comic shop cheap-o boxes month after month. It seems that there is always another few long boxes of these around the corner. Were they particularly abusive of said variants?

As for the regular Darker Image #1, my guess is that the print run was about 500 million based on how many copies I see of it, which makes me sad because I was/am very fond of Maxx and Sam Kieth and I want to buy them, but there are limits. I already have like 10+ copies of every Kieth MCP cover, which is bordering on insanity if not already there.

Edited by the blob

On 5/1/2018 at 11:05 AM, the blob said:

RMA, I know you have devoted a lot of time and energy to these topics, but why would these variants be so beat to heck when I see a regular stream of nearly pristine regular overstock copies of these books in comic shop cheap-o boxes month after month. It seems that there is always another few long boxes of these around the corner. Were they particularly abusive of said variants?

Your statement here isn't quite clear...are you referring to the non-variants...?

If that's the case, it's because they printed 10 billion of them.

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 1:20 AM, RockMyAmadeus said:

Your statement here isn't quite clear...are you referring to the non-variants...?

Why are the variants abused? Is it your view that many were sitting in one place in storage owned by people who were abusive?

45 minutes ago, the blob said:
On 5/2/2018 at 10:20 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

Why are the variants abused? Is it your view that many were sitting in one place in storage owned by people who were abusive?

This is explained several posts back. The vast majority of these variants sat, mostly unprotected, in publisher boxes for many years. A small percentage did, in fact, end up in collector hands at or around the time they were printed...but a very small percentage. 1-5% at best.

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 6:12 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

This is explained several posts back. The vast majority of these variants sat, mostly unprotected, in publisher boxes for many years. A small percentage did, in fact, end up in collector hands at or around the time they were printed...but a very small percentage. 1-5% at best.

When did you secure possession of them?

On 5/1/2018 at 11:05 AM, the blob said:

I already have like 10+ copies of every Kieth MCP cover, which is bordering on insanity if not already there.

There. :sumo:

I disagree with the notion that the X-Men Deluxe #1 was a reprint. All editions for X-Men #1 were solicited at the same time. If you're classifying this as a reprint because it shipped later, then you have to classify all of the variants as reprints, as the covers shipped one per week, with the deluxe being last.

On 5/18/2018 at 9:59 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I disagree with the notion that the X-Men Deluxe #1 was a reprint. All editions for X-Men #1 were solicited at the same time. If you're classifying this as a reprint because it shipped later, then you have to classify all of the variants as reprints, as the covers shipped one per week, with the deluxe being last.

This was my recollection as well. I know when I put in my pre-order at the shop, I ordered all five of them up front, with the understanding that the first four were different covers and the final was an amalgamation of them all. It's been a while back, but I'm 99.9% sure that was the case.