• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What should be graded?
1 1

39 posts in this topic

Hey there guys, new member here and I got a question for you.

So I have an entire Blackest night set with all the tie-ins. I know it would cost me hundreds to have them all graded but I also have a full set of the Green Lantern/Star Trek crossover and a few select others. My question is what (or how) do I select what should be graded? Surely I shouldn't send every lantern comic I own out to be graded.

Just curious what should be considered grade worthy.

1 hour ago, speedcake said:

or grade whatever you want if it makes you happy :D

Why are you asking? Your question is lacking context

Been collecting comics for a while and I have been wanting to get pretty serious about it. Was told that I should start getting some of my comics graded for maximum selling potential later. 

3 minutes ago, lanternfan55 said:
1 hour ago, speedcake said:

or grade whatever you want if it makes you happy :D

Why are you asking? Your question is lacking context

Been collecting comics for a while and I have been wanting to get pretty serious about it. Was told that I should start getting some of my comics graded for maximum selling potential later. 

not that krap

8 minutes ago, lanternfan55 said:
33 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

not that krap

well others I was thinking was the first appearance of Kyle Rayner, the death of Hal Jordan with the foil varient cover and The death of Superman with the tombstone cover

Are you Stu-ing me? lol

You can always have them graded later if you want to sell them and feel it will improve your overall profit, I suppose. I doubt the grading services would go out of business suddenly and if they did, who would care if anything was graded at that point. In other words, there is very little need to grade these books any time soon. Some might push the archiving aspect but similar results can be achieved without paying for grading services. There might be an insurance reason as well but probably not for the books you mention.

Lots of people like to get their books graded. Nothing wrong with it but it doesn't mean they are "more serious" collectors- just that they like having the graded copies.

2 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

.I doubt the grading services would go out of business suddenly and if they did, who would care if anything was graded at that point.

I meant to ask about that. When it comes to grading, If a grading company goes out of business, are the grades worthless?

The grade is based on a standard that the company sets.  As long as the company isn't discredited like one of the competitors, the grade will be fine.

I just happened upon Blackest Night and the spinoffs in a collection.  It's a very good read, but I don't see much demand for it.  If Dex-Starr shows up in a movie one day, you'll want to grade that particular issue so that you can sell it, but many of the old collections are sitting happily in mylar.  My suggestion is not to slab anything until you can answer more questions than you can ask.

consider the cost of stabbing and then also look into the value of the book itself. There is no point to grading a 10 dollar comic. It won't help you sell it in the future.

My "cut off" for value of book is $150.00 before I consider grading.

15 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

consider the cost of stabbing and then also look into the value of the book itself. There is no point to grading a 10 dollar comic. It won't help you sell it in the future.

My "cut off" for value of book is $150.00 before I consider grading.

Hey calm down. He just wants to get some books graded. 

Edited by deadleg