• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How valuable are the Marvel Milestone versions of the Marvel key issues from the silver to bronze age go for with Stan Lee's Autograph
1 1

31 posts in this topic

People, I have something to ask.

How valuable are the Marvel Milesstone versions of the key comics from Marvel during the Silver to Bronze with Stan Lee's signature go for? 

For example, can "The Avengers #4 : Milestone edition"  or "Marvel secret wars #8 : Milestone edition" go for like $100-$999 or a Premium $1000-$4,999? 

I mean "The Avengers #4" can go for over $1000 with Stan Lee's signature because it's a key comic and he was the writer too.

1 hour ago, Convention dude94 said:

People, I have something to ask.

How valuable are the Marvel Milesstone versions of the key comics from Marvel during the Silver to Bronze with Stan Lee's signature go for? 

For example, can "The Avengers #4 : Milestone edition"  or "Marvel secret wars #8 : Milestone edition" go for like $100-$999 or a Premium $1000-$4,999? 

I mean "The Avengers #4" can go for over $1000 with Stan Lee's signature because it's a key comic and he was the writer too.

do searches of GPA (slabbed price guide) or ebay for sales data that has occurred already, just to get an idea.  Looks like it'll max out with maybe $600 for AF15 CGC SS 9.8, but most are way way less than that, even in 9.8.

If you're looking to make money, it probably not worth it unless you've got stacks of surefire AF 15 9.8's that you got for cheap.

Edited by revat

3 hours ago, revat said:

do searches of GPA (slabbed price guide) or ebay for sales data that has occurred already, just to get an idea.  Looks like it'll max out with maybe $600 for AF15 CGC SS 9.8, but most are way way less than that, even in 9.8.

If you're looking to make money, it probably not worth it unless you've got stacks of surefire AF 15 9.8's that you got for cheap.

Can it be the same for "Captain America #337" from 1987 signed by Stan Lee, with his own certificate of Authenticity?

57 minutes ago, Convention dude94 said:

Can it be the same for "Captain America #337" from 1987 signed by Stan Lee, with his own certificate of Authenticity?

Oh sorry i misunderstood

i thought we were talking Cgc ss

for raw in NM WITH COA, just take the price of the book and add $50 bucks and you’ve got a reasonable guess for a max value

also, I didn’t know there was cap 337 marvel milestone?

This is getting confusing, if you want to ask about the value of something specific, just post a picture

36 minutes ago, revat said:

This is getting confusing, if you want to ask about the value of something specific, just post a picture

I agree. It was a poorly written question by the OP embedded within a number of comments. I hate questions on valuation. They are usually requested by someone not wanting to do any research on their own.

I was talking about the just a reguluar comic that isn't a key issue or a reprint of a key issue, but with Stan Lee's autograph on it. And for this I was wanting to know if it is the same value as the key issue Marvel milestone reprints from the 90s values the same $100-$600 range if it's on a regular comic not a special one.

IMG-2312.JPG

IMG-2313.JPG

Edited by Convention dude94

5 minutes ago, Convention dude94 said:

I was talking about the just a reguluar comic that isn't a key issue or a reprint of a key issue, but with Stan Lee's autograph on it.

How did you get from 'How valuable are the Marvel Milesstone versions of the key comics from Marvel during the Silver to Bronze with Stan Lee's signature go for?' to I was just talking about a regular comic that isn't a key or a reprint of a key ?

This book will never be authenticated or recognized by CGC. It's maybe a 10 dollar comic with a suppossedly Stan Lee signature. I don't think this is worth the big bucks you want to hear.

1 hour ago, revat said:

Oh sorry i misunderstood

i thought we were talking Cgc ss

for raw in NM WITH COA, just take the price of the book and add $50 bucks and you’ve got a reasonable guess for a max value

also, I didn’t know there was cap 337 marvel milestone?

57 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

How did you get from 'How valuable are the Marvel Milesstone versions of the key comics from Marvel during the Silver to Bronze with Stan Lee's signature go for?' to I was just talking about a regular comic that isn't a key or a reprint of a key ?

This book will never be authenticated or recognized by CGC. It's maybe a 10 dollar comic with a suppossedly Stan Lee signature. I don't think this is worth the big bucks you want to hear.

Ok people I'm sorry let's get back on subject shall we...

So, revat. Are the other key issue Marvel milestone versions like the first four Avengers issues are less valuable even with Stan Lee's signature? Depending what company certified it? And what do you mean by "Looks like it'll max out with maybe $600 for AF15 CGC SS 9.8, but most are way way less than that, even in 9.8 ?" 

1 minute ago, Convention dude94 said:

Ok people I'm sorry let's get back on subject shall we...

So, revat. Are the other key issue Marvel milestone versions like the first four Avengers issues are less valuable even with Stan Lee's signature? Depending what company certified it? And what do you mean by "Looks like it'll max out with maybe $600 for AF15 CGC SS 9.8, but most are way way less than that, even in 9.8 ?" 

Still not sure I get the question.  But every marvel milestone is worth less than the AF 15 one. The comparison works as long as your comparing apples to apples.  Same grade, AF15 is worth more.  All signed by Stan and same grade, AF15 worth more.

none of them as far as I know are worth a $1000, with or without the sig. honestly look at eBay sold items to gauge prices.

also your questions continue to be very confusing.  Read them out loud to yourself.

Well do some research and some math

how much does it cost to buy a NM copy raw?

how much to get it signed graded and shipped there and back.  And how much does it take?  The answers can be found in this subforum and eBay to a lesser extents 

14 minutes ago, Convention dude94 said:

You are looking at asking prices, a lot different than Sold prices. The first one above has 0 bidders = nobody is interested at a starting bid of 279.00. The second, asking 299.95 , is a BIN price that obviously nobody is biting on. The key milestone editions with a sig is the poor man's way of participating in the marketplace. Collectors don't really want a copy but only 'settle' for a copy when they can't afford anything real. The big money does not seek these out. I would think the keys are worth more but an ordinary book like the CA 337, not so much. Sorry, I know it's not what you want to hear but real collectors don't seek these out.

BTW, I can ask 1,000 for a ham sandwich on E-Bay but that does not mean that's what they are selling for. Asked vs Sold, big difference.

Edited by Bomber-Bob

To piggy back off what Bob said, you’re wasting your money on speculating with those books.  I honestly wouldn’t take them for free.  What collectors are into does vary but in the big scheme of things these books aren’t just low hanging fruit but the fruit that fell off the tree.  Is every book I own worth thousands?  Absolutely not.  Will I ever get at least the money back I spent on some of them?  Probably not.  I bought them cause I wanted them.  “Collect what you like” seems to be the best advice I ever got when it came to collecting.  If you wanna make money buy key books and let them marinate.  Just my .02 cents for what it’s worth.

Edited by Parabellum

1 hour ago, Convention dude94 said:

Buy what you like, do the math to see what's worth it to you.  If you want to make money in some type of undiscovered flaw in the system, you're gonna have to discover it and exploit it on your own, and put in your own leg work, to the extent that its worth it.  If you like comics and are willing to put in the time, there's some money to be made, depending on how much you value your time.

But if you have too much money and are desperate to give it to Stan Lee and CGC, you could do some research on low-mid grade bronze/silver keys and see which ones might be profitable to buy raw and get Stan to sign, especially if you're willing to hold for the long run (my vote is for Daredevil 1 and other FF early issues that are not issue 1, for example).

But if you're just trying to justify a higher price for the Cap 337, that ship has sailed, gone to war with Spain, been sunk, been rediscovered, and is preserved in a maritime museum in Morocco.

Also just for your own reference, go on ebay completed listings and see how many sell for less than it would cost for the grading and the signature.  And see how many DON'T SELL AT ALL.  There's no Stan Lee magic bullet signature that increases the value enough in all but the keys, and even then, you gotta do some return on investment math, assuming one is capable of doing so.

Stan Lee's signature is not rare, there are literally tens of thousands of items signed by him, i seriously would not be surprised if he has reached over 500,000 items, but it does not mean its worthless, he puts a fair price on signing books now days last i checked he was charging 120 per sig, because of this the price stays at about $100 least, yes if he signs a key issue on the right place it can sell for much more, but on a mile stone, not really. Mile stones are cool to have but understand they are pretty worthless, they printed alot of them and they are fairly new, brand new they usually sell for no more than $40, so i would not be surprised to see your book signed by stan go for anymore than $150

I think that is generally true, but I also think that the Milestones signed by Jack Kirby with a COA fetch a few hundred dollars when they are also CGC certified and signed by Stan Lee.

It is well known that Kirby signed Milestone editions of FF1 and X-Men 1, So despite the fact that CGC does not certify his signature, it is also true that no one questions it.

So most people think it’s pretty cool and will pay up for these Milestones editions signed by both.

On 4/26/2018 at 8:02 AM, Aliens said:

Stan Lee's signature is not rare, there are literally tens of thousands of items signed by him, i seriously would not be surprised if he has reached over 500,000 items, but it does not mean its worthless, he puts a fair price on signing books now days last i checked he was charging 120 per sig, because of this the price stays at about $100 least, yes if he signs a key issue on the right place it can sell for much more, but on a mile stone, not really. Mile stones are cool to have but understand they are pretty worthless, they printed alot of them and they are fairly new, brand new they usually sell for no more than $40, so i would not be surprised to see your book signed by stan go for anymore than $150

Yeah but that is because people want to meet him not realizing they get two seconds with him. Once he passes away his signature won't be worth more than 30 in most cases.