• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How valuable are the Marvel Milestone versions of the Marvel key issues from the silver to bronze age go for with Stan Lee's Autograph
1 1

31 posts in this topic

On 4/23/2018 at 7:26 PM, Convention dude94 said:

I was talking about the just a reguluar comic that isn't a key issue or a reprint of a key issue, but with Stan Lee's autograph on it. And for this I was wanting to know if it is the same value as the key issue Marvel milestone reprints from the 90s values the same $100-$600 range if it's on a regular comic not a special one.

IMG-2312.JPG

IMG-2313.JPG

I'd put a valuation of this at $100-200, based upon the fact that a strong majority of collectors refrain from COA's they're too easy to invalidate and are at times worth less than the paper they're printed on.  I get it this is from Stan Lee's Authorized Dealer, even having the sealed hologram, but most investors would opt for the CGC Signature Series.  If you put something like this up on eBay for auction, I'd speculate it goes for the lower side of $150.  

Then, although this is a homage cover, it's a book that has very little to do with Stan Lee, and it's a fairly common book with nothing outstanding about it.

I'd say the Marvel Masterworks reprints of works by Stan Lee which he actually originally wrote are better ways to go, as they're directly relevant to Stan Lee.  Most of the collecting world can't afford any of the 1st Appearance Key's, so getting a reprint that is symbolic of what Stan created does have mass appeal, affordable (right now) and fairly desirable as an investment as well as aeshetically as a collectible. 

8 hours ago, BeholdersEye said:

I'd put a valuation of this at $100-200, based upon the fact that a strong majority of collectors refrain from COA's they're too easy to invalidate and are at times worth less than the paper they're printed on.  I get it this is from Stan Lee's Authorized Dealer, even having the sealed hologram, but most investors would opt for the CGC Signature Series.  If you put something like this up on eBay for auction, I'd speculate it goes for the lower side of $150.  

Then, although this is a homage cover, it's a book that has very little to do with Stan Lee, and it's a fairly common book with nothing outstanding about it.

I'd say the Marvel Masterworks reprints of works by Stan Lee which he actually originally wrote are better ways to go, as they're directly relevant to Stan Lee.  Most of the collecting world can't afford any of the 1st Appearance Key's, so getting a reprint that is symbolic of what Stan created does have mass appeal, affordable (right now) and fairly desirable as an investment as well as aeshetically as a collectible. 

:whatthe: some of the comics w/coa can go for that much, but this is a NOTHING comic, even as a cover swipe, its a really dumb looking cover swipe.  ZERO chance it goes for even $100. 

how come the OPs of these silly questions never come back and say, "Thank you" for basically doing all the leg-work for them, much of which is so God D@mn common sense you wonder if it's not the coin guys coming over here and trolling us.

10 hours ago, revat said:

:whatthe: some of the comics w/coa can go for that much, but this is a NOTHING comic, even as a cover swipe, its a really dumb looking cover swipe.  ZERO chance it goes for even $100. 

Definitely right about a nothing comic other than being a good read it's main uses are toilet paper and cleaning glass windows.

This is a perfect example of the ten of thousands of signatures on items that hold little to no value and items that make you shake your head.

It would be like having Stan Lee sign a magazine that has Hugh Hefner is on the cover that came out after his death.

8 hours ago, Convention dude94 said:

not the worst thing ever, if that's what you're looking for.  But I wouldn't be optimistic about making money on it later...

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 3:47 AM, Convention dude94 said:

It's tough to get a grade on a comic when it's still in the bag and you've got one picture taken at an angle to go on.  However, it's pretty clear that it has a few imperfections along the spine and a pretty large crunch along the bottom.  I'm thinking 8.0 in a best case scenario?

In any case, what is your goal here.  Are you looking for something for your personal collection?  Something to display on a wall?  To put away for years as an investment?  Something to turn a profit?  Your posting style makes it tough to determine exactly what you're looking for. 

On 8/16/2018 at 2:47 AM, Convention dude94 said:

Sorry but IMO, this would be a complete waste of money. The only chance with a book like this is in a high grade CGC slab, something this example will never be.

22 hours ago, revat said:

not the worst thing ever, if that's what you're looking for.  But I wouldn't be optimistic about making money on it later...

It's almost the worst thing ever. That is just an awful signature.  Stan used to have such a clean, tight sig.  The market will eventually differentiate among the nice tight well placed signatures and the blobbish abominations that have been cranked out the last two years (and some prior to that obviously).

1 hour ago, seanfingh said:
On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 8:55 AM, revat said:

It's almost the worst thing ever. That is just an awful signature.  Stan used to have such a clean, tight sig.  The market will eventually differentiate among the nice tight well placed signatures and the blobbish abominations that have been cranked out the last two years (and some prior to that obviously).

Watch the Gerard Butler movie called Gods of Egypt, that is the worst thing ever.