• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can someone clarify this PayPal situation
1 1

25 posts in this topic

On 3/30 I purchased a CGC Spidey 129 from a dealer. As of today it hasn't arrived. Seller informs me the pay pal payment didn't clear until 4/13( I sent it 4/2). I've never heard of not shipping until PP clears. In fact, I often choose the pay after delivery service. Is this something new or just a bad seller?

Sounds like you used an e-check which for all intents and purposes is the same as a regular check. If you don't have enough in your bank account, it won't clear. I wouldn't have shipped you that book either until it cleared as the seller would be out book and money if it didn't clear. PP even tells you not to ship until it clears. 

22 minutes ago, LordRahl said:

Sounds like you used an e-check which for all intents and purposes is the same as a regular check. If you don't have enough in your bank account, it won't clear. I wouldn't have shipped you that book either until it cleared as the seller would be out book and money if it didn't clear. PP even tells you not to ship until it clears. 

+1

22 minutes ago, LordRahl said:

+1

Can sellers set how they accept payment? I paid through Paypal doing nothing different than the other 1500 transactions I have. I don't care that he waited, it bothers me that the communications were lacking, although he claims he emailed me. 

30 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Can sellers set how they accept payment? I paid through Paypal doing nothing different than the other 1500 transactions I have. I don't care that he waited, it bothers me that the communications were lacking, although he claims he emailed me. 

It is not the seller who decides on the e-cheque. Please refer to this link

https://www.paypal.com/uk/selfhelp/article/Why-has-my-payment-been-sent-as-an-eCheque-FAQ962

Did you check your PayPal account whether there were funds as the time you paid or whether payment was made as an e-Cheque 

normally when I receive an e-Cheque I don’t reach out to the buyer as I assume they know but maybe I should going forward I: case the buyer is not aware

14 hours ago, shadroch said:

You're the one that sent the e-check dude. What is he supposed to communicate with you about? PP tells him not to ship until your check clears. It's somehow his fault you didn't know what you were doing?

I didn't send an echeck

. What part of " I didn't send an echeck" don't you get. I paid ,using my  Wells Fargo debit card, just as I have paid for 67 transactions this year and over 200 last year. 

As a matter of fact, a second transaction with same dealer made several days later went thru and shipped the next day. The only difference I see is one transaction was for $150 and the other was almost $2000.  Is there a dollar amount that changes a regular transaction to an echeck?

On a separate note, do people routinely keep thousands in their PayPal accounts?

Hi. I was under the impression that an echeck is issued by Paypal automatically (the user wouldn't have issued the echeck directly themselves) when an account uses a bank source only and does not have a credit card also linked with the bank account on Paypal.

If you do have a credit card linked also, check to see if the expiration date on the card that shows on Paypal hasn't expired and needs to be updated.

If the bank and credit card info are accurate on Paypal and this is the first time experiencing the echeck, I would contact Paypal to see what's up.

Edited by DanCooper

I checked the expiration dates on both my debit and backup credit card. That's not an issue. I think the seller is playing games and simply didn't ship it in a timely fashion. That wouldn't have been an issue if he'd responded.

31 minutes ago, shadroch said:

I checked the expiration dates on both my debit and backup credit card. That's not an issue. I think the seller is playing games and simply didn't ship it in a timely fashion. That wouldn't have been an issue if he'd responded.

Is it possible for you to check on this payment from your account and see how it was issued to the seller?

Is it a new seller? Sometimes their payments will be held for a certain amount of time, but I thought it was usually pending successful delivery, which obviously was not the order of this transaction. 

An e-cheque still strikes me as the more likely answer, considering the timeframe. I just don't know how. 

13 minutes ago, shadroch said:
1 hour ago, DeadOne said:

Is it possible for you to check on this payment from your account and see how it was issued to the seller?

Sure, what would I look for?

I'm going from memory from what I've seen on my account so bear with me if my descriptions doesn't line up.

Once you log into your PayPal go to "Activity". When that opens up  you should see a list of transactions either Pending or Completed. Find the one from the transaction you're inquiring about and click on it to expand it. Somewhere in there it should say how it was paid. If I remember correctly, it should reference an echeck  somewhere in there if paid by echeck or it should list the last 4 digits of the card number if paid by a credit card.

I think either the seller is being less than honest or somehow PP messed up and issued the payment mistakenly by echeck. Like you said, you've paid the same way before without issue.

Edited by DeadOne

It actually says Pay after Delivery, and the money is still in the account linked to the debit card. It's scheduled to come out April 25th. 

I'm going to have a little chat with the seller. I thought I had found a solid guy.

3 minutes ago, shadroch said:

It actually says Pay after Delivery, and the money is still in the account linked to the debit card. It's scheduled to come out April 25th. 

I'm going to have a little chat with the seller. I thought I had found a solid guy.

I would.
I never really thought about how Pay After Delivery is notified to a seller. I'll have to read up on it.