• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Action Comics 1 - Silver Foil

33 posts in this topic

Curious if people here saw the silver foil of Action 1 being done by New Zealand Mint.  It's not the full book, but I got an email from CGC on it for their special label for it.  

I thought it seemed really cool and was thinking about picking one up.

768_1352_2306.jpg

unnamed.jpg

'I'm sorry, pal, it's a reprint. Best I can do is 8 bucks.'

19 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I bought 100 of those. I'm gonna be rich.

When my uncle passed, I tried to help my aunt sell some of his collection. She gave me his Pac-Man machine straight up, and I gave her some cash for his Playboys, though they weren't really worth anything. Did well selling his model cars, Hot Wheels , and the like. But for some reason he was also really into those collectible plates, Danbury Mint, etc and we couldn't GIVE those things away. It looked like he'd been part of a subscription club or something in the late 70's, maybe early 80's, and got a plate every month. He'd never touched them, they were still sealed in the cardboard mailers, dead mint, beautiful shape. Couldn't sell them for the cost of shipping, could barely sell them for a buck at a yard sale.

Giving special labels for such things cheapens the Brand. It is not necessary, it is a stupidmoneygrab. It is sort of disappointing that CGC would do this, and labeling it early release to boot, as if there is gold in them hills, is legitimizing a monetary importance to something that isn't. Sheesh. Even Franklin Mint would pass on this.

From time to time this same type of thing has happened with supposed numismatic pieces. It is not necessary and adds noting to the collecting community, and misleads the unknowing new collector that would be trapped by these types of baubles.

I would expect CGC to have more respect for their audience and collector base.

Maybe I should send my old Chuck Taylors to CGC that my girlfriend had drawn Mighty Mouse on (in color) and hope for a 10.:idea:

2 hours ago, F For Fake said:

But for some reason he was also really into those collectible plates, Danbury Mint, etc and we couldn't GIVE those things away. It looked like he'd been part of a subscription club or something in the late 70's, maybe early 80's, and got a plate every month. He'd never touched them, they were still sealed in the cardboard mailers, dead mint, beautiful shape. Couldn't sell them for the cost of shipping, could barely sell them for a buck at a yard sale.

There's a key difference from other types of collectibles... no one ever enjoyed collectible plates. There's no nostalgia.  People don't understand why we would pay $100 or $10,000 for a comic book, but it's because we enjoyed these characters, we always wanted some books, we finally have the chance to get them, they have somehow survived in higher grade, it's a common interest and memories that we share with lots of other people.  Pac-Man machines, Playboys, model cars, Hot Wheels... remember those?  Yep, spent a lot of time with a few of those in the days when I didn't have too many responsibilities.

Collectible plates, Danbury Mint items, who remembers playing with those as a kid?  No one.  So who wants them now?  Same answer.

30 minutes ago, valiantman said:

There's a key difference from other types of collectibles... no one ever enjoyed collectible plates. There's no nostalgia.  People don't understand why we would pay $100 or $10,000 for a comic book, but it's because we enjoyed these characters, we always wanted some books, we finally have the chance to get them, they have somehow survived in higher grade, it's a common interest and memories that we share with lots of other people.  Pac-Man machines, Playboys, model cars, Hot Wheels... remember those?  Yep, spent a lot of time with a few of those in the days when I didn't have too many responsibilities.

Collectible plates, Danbury Mint items, who remembers playing with those as a kid?  No one.  So who wants them now?  Same answer.

So to summarize, manufactured collectible?

43 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Yeah, I'm not sure what got him started on collecting them. It was a series of German plates, and he was big on his German heritage, so that may have been the appeal, I'm not sure. Or he thought they'd be worth something. Again, no idea, as he'd left them sitting in his basement untouched for decades. Part of my motivation for liquidating big heavy chunks of my collection. I don't want my wife stuck with having to move this junk when I'm gone.

When I talk about "what I do", I invariably say that I am a "collectibles dealer." And I'll be honest, being a "collectibles dealer" is a lot more respectable than being a "comic book dealer", though, in my view, I am neither. But explaining pressing and Sig Series and the like gets into the weeds that most people won't understand, and eyes start to glaze over.

In any event, people usually go "ooo, that's cool!" and they then talk about their own collectibles experience, or the experience of a collector they know. And I will use that conversation as a springboard into collectibles in general, and why they form such an important part in Western civilization, and the reason is because something that someone defines as a "collectible" is so because that thing, or genre, is tied to positive experiences and feelings in their lives. 

It doesn't necessarily have to be tied to childhood, but childhood is obviously when most people make their longest lasting memories. So, if someone traded Yankees cards in the mid-50s with their friends, and that was a positive experience for them, there's a much higher chance that they'll be interested in obtaining those items later in life. They are a touchstone, a time machine, to good feelings and memories of positive experiences.

The reason "manufactured collectibles" like those plates and Franklin Mint products...and anything else like that...rarely becomes attached to any sort of positive feelings or experiences. People who buy them usually buy them because they become convinced they will be "worth money", not because they spent time with their mom, or grandmother, hanging up those plates on the wall as a kid (though, certainly, some of them do.) 

Anything made "as a collector's item" almost certainly never will be, Marvel's cover copy aside, because without that connection to the past in some way, no one will ever spend anything worthwhile pursuing them later. Buying them, keeping them in "mint condition", storing them away, and never looking at them again creates no positive memories or experiences. Without that, there's little hope for value in the future.