• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Green Lantern #1

14 posts in this topic

Local comic shop has a Green Lantern #1 from 1960 slabbed. Shops asking for $400 for it. the grade is 2.0. It's an issue 1 and it looks decent enough. Girlfriend says to get it since I am a huge Hal Jordan fan but my buddies say to pass on it since its a 2.0. I know issue #1's for big superheroes don't come often. Just though i would ask for opinions of people who actually deal with rare books like this. If I bought it, it would be the rarest book I ever owned.

I have to say that's not a bad price for 2.0, in my opinion. You would definitely be paying more for a higher grade (probably looking at close to 1K or more). So if you are willing to pay more for a better copy, then probably pass. Although, if you can bargain with the seller to knock of a couple of bucks, that's even more reason to get it.  Good luck either way!

2c

5 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

Photos?  PQ = ?  

With only seeing the grade, I'd be tempted to save up and by a higher graded copy.

that's what my buddies are saying to do but then the gf says that ill never be able to afford to dump over 1k on a comic and issue #1's aren't cheap unless the quality is low. both sides make good arguments and that's why I'm indecisive at the moment.

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by lanternfan55

4 minutes ago, lanternfan55 said:

that's what my buddies are saying to do but then the gf says that ill never be able to afford to dump over 1k on a comic and issue #1's aren't cheap unless the quality is low. both sides make good arguments and that's why I'm indecisive at the moment.

s-l1600.jpg

Just to be clear...is your girlfriend saying that you'll never be able to save up enough to buy a higher graded copy OR is she saying that even if you do save up enough she won't let you buy a higher graded copy?  Big difference lol

Just now, pemart1966 said:

Just to be clear...is your girlfriend saying that you'll never be able to save up enough to buy a higher graded copy OR is she saying that even if you do save up enough she won't let you buy a higher graded copy?  Big difference lol

I don't think she would let me lol

6 minutes ago, lanternfan55 said:

I don't think she would let me lol

Then I would just save up now and invest in a higher grade copy just out of spite :devil:

Or tell her that a more expensive copy would someday come in handy to sell and help buy something that is also very expensive like a house, etc ;) the value can only go up!

It's really up to you and what you plan to do with it.  Myself, I have plenty of Keys that are lower grade and I'm fine with it because I don't intend to part with them.  To me they're more valuable to me as memories and the chase.  But, if your intention in the long run is to sell it and use it towards a house I'd save up for a higher grade.

FYI pics of slabs from the competition are a no-no around here. Might want to edit the pic so the thread doesn't get yanked.

If you want it, you should be able to bargain him down a bit and buy it. Don't worry about the grade you ultimately want but may never be able to afford; get in at a safe price that you can get back out of whole (if not a little better in the long run.) unless the LCS is in a major city, odds are he's only got a handful of regulars buying single books for hundreds. My 2c

12 hours ago, Readcomix said:

If you want it, you should be able to bargain him down a bit and buy it. Don't worry about the grade you ultimately want but may never be able to afford; get in at a safe price that you can get back out of whole (if not a little better in the long run.) unless the LCS is in a major city, odds are he's only got a handful of regulars buying single books for hundreds. My 2c

This is very good advice.