• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wait, that's pronounced how?
1 1

106 posts in this topic

With the second Venom trailer's baffling pronunciation of the word "symbiote" (and I know it's technically acceptable, but it still sounds awful), it got me thinking...

What comic-related name/term did you always pronounce one way in your head, only to find out it was pronounced differently later (through an adaptation, or learning the generally accepted way)?

For example, as I grew up reading X-Men comics, I always pronounced it "Mag-net-o" (because, you know, magnets and magnetism). Only to find out with X-Men: TAS that it was apparently "Mag-neat-o"

21 minutes ago, Cocomonkey said:

What comic-related name/term did you always pronounce one way in your head, only to find out it was pronounced differently later (through an adaptation, or learning the generally accepted way)?

Shadowman (from Valiant) is Jack Boniface - which I pronounced "bony-face" in my head. It's "bonn-if-iss" when you make it a New Orleans name (which is correct for the story).

My favorite example of dumb pronunciation that I heard back-in-the-day was "Gen13" which a dealer trying to get me to buy it was calling "Gwen13".

I had a chat with Lewis Larosa about this. He was asked to do a Thanos commission at NC Comic Con and he asked me if I had any comics on me with Thanos (Thane-os) for a reference. He kind of chuckled and asked if that was how I said his name. I said no I usually pronounced it Than-os. He then brought up Magneto and said he pronounced it Mag-neat-o but he knew others that pronounced it Mag-net-o. I never thought there would be a conversation about symbiote though.

23 minutes ago, fullerjason said:

I never thought there would be a conversation about symbiote though.

All words with "bio" have the possibility of having the "bio" emphasized.  The broader connection to "biology" can easily keep "bio" away from "bee-o".

1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Sienkiewicz is NOT pronounced "sink-o-wits."

It's pronounced sin-kev-itch.

My wife the uncomic fan had a bad encounter with him years ago trying to get a signature or something for my son.  She calls him stinkovich to this day 16 years later.  He is the only comic person she has heard of besides stan lee.