• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wait, that's pronounced how?
1 1

106 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Turtle said:

For those who mentioned Thanos, I asked that very question a few years ago.  (thumbsu

And still today i hear instead of thanos as in apple, thanos as in open your mouth and say th--awe-nose. :pullhair:

Who knew there were so many ways....

8 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

I'm confused about how you've broken that out. 

Tha (like ant)?  Tha (like thaw)?  Tha (like flay)?

Nos (like nose)?  Nos (like the thing that makes your car go faster pronounced 'nawse')?

You’re right.  I was terrible at describing what I meant.  It drives me crazy when people say thaw-nose.

13 minutes ago, DocHoppus182 said:

It drives me crazy when people say thaw-nose.

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

thanos as in open your mouth and say th--awe-nose. :pullhair:

It sounds very British.  Like they've gentrified it someway and are sticking their noses up in the air when they say it.

"Honey, that Silver Surfer is fighting that Thawww-nose character again.  What a drab fight this will turn out to be."  :martini:

3 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

It sounds very British.  Like they've gentrified it someway and are sticking their noses up in the air when they say it.

"Honey, that Silver Surfer is fighting that Thawww-nose character again.  What a drab fight this will turn out to be."  :martini:

It's possibly a very snobbish pronunciation here, whereas I'm from an area where a lot of hard, sudden glottal stops are used in the accent. Maybe down south somewhere, or Cheshire, maybe? 

Strangely, it sounds more American to me.

3 hours ago, SteppinRazor said:

Thanos is a greek name, pronounced Thah' nos (short o, hard s)

I've always said it with a 'noss' rather than 'nose' ending. Occasionally 'nozz'.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 24/04/2018 at 7:01 PM, Cocomonkey said:

With the second Venom trailer's baffling pronunciation of the word "symbiote" (and I know it's technically acceptable, but it still sounds awful), it got me thinking...

What comic-related name/term did you always pronounce one way in your head, only to find out it was pronounced differently later (through an adaptation, or learning the generally accepted way)?

For example, as I grew up reading X-Men comics, I always pronounced it "Mag-net-o" (because, you know, magnets and magnetism). Only to find out with X-Men: TAS that it was apparently "Mag-neat-o"

Great thread Coco! I did a similar one last year. Great minds think alike!

Wonder who'll try next year. If we're all here that is.... 

(thumbsu

6 hours ago, Jayman said:

Is it Kay-Zar or Kah-Zar? (shrug)

IMG_5492.JPG

I always thought it was the latter, until I read that the American pronunciation tends to be Kay-Zar.

57 minutes ago, Erndog said:

How do people pronounce Mephisto?

Depends. In 'One More Day' it's pronounced 'MyGodthissucksto'.

1 hour ago, Ken Aldred said:

I always thought it was the latter, until I read that the American pronunciation tends to be Kay-Zar.

I always read it as Kah-Zar myself...

10 minutes ago, Jayman said:

I always pronounced it Meh-fist-toe (shrug)

Me too.

7 minutes ago, Jayman said:

I always read it as Kah-Zar myself...

Me too.