• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jim Starlin Article - The Creator of Avengers: Infinity War Villain Thanos Hates Marvel Comics’ Guts

28 posts in this topic

The article goes through Starlin's history at Marvel, what he's done there, and why he's left so many times only to come back.  Also, it provides a snapshot of why he's at odds with Marvel publishing now.

The Creator of Avengers: Infinity War Villain Thanos Hates Marvel Comics’ Guts

(The link works)

Edited by Lucky Baru

3 hours ago, Lucky Baru said:

The article goes through Starlin's history at Marvel, what he's done there, and why he's left so many times only to come back.  Also, it provides a snapshot of why he's at odds with Marvel publishing now.

The Creator of Avengers: Infinity War Villain Thanos Hates Marvel Comics’ Guts

(The link works)

looks like good reading for later one - thanks :foryou:

Starlin actually looks happy in those pictures.  Shocked.  After meeting him briefly he comes across as quite the grump and he definetely seemed like the type of guy who is just never happy.  Maybe the comic industry has wore him down.

Edited by 1Cool

6 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Starkin actually looks happy in those pictures.  Shocked.  After meeting him briefly he comes across as quite the grump and he definetely seemed like the type of guy who is just never happy.  Maybe the comic industry has wore him down.

Maybe he just had to deal with you. 

30 minutes ago, greggy said:

Nope, as he didn't do any lame X-mens that needed to be signed, jerkwad

What did you think of Starlin?  You also seem grumpy all the time so I assume you guys would get along great.

Just to be clear, Starlin's displeasure is with the publishing arm, Marvel Comics. He now seems fine with Marvel Studios.

Good to see Starlin's happy and finally getting fairly compensated for Thanos!

"But Starlin’s excitement is also tied to the fact that the films are a payday for him. He doesn’t get into details, but says he was able to negotiate an arrangement to get a certain amount of money for non-comics uses of Thanos when Disney bought Marvel in 2009. However, in January 2017, he wrote a Facebook post saying he got paid more for the use of his lesser-known DC character Anatoli Knyazev in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice than he did for all the uses of Thanos in the Marvel movies as of then, combined. According to Starlin, that led Disney to renegotiate the agreement, which he now calls “a fairly fair deal.”"

http://www.vulture.com/2018/04/jim-starlin-creator-of-infinity-war-thanos-hates-marvel.html

He just seems perpetually unhappy. You got him a Coke? He wanted Diet. You bought him lunch? He doesn't like the painting on the wall at the cafe, so you have to change seats twice. 

Just one of THOSE people. 

I wonder if Starlin (and possibly Roy Thomas) are willing to cut a similarly "fairly fair deal" with the Kirby estate...

Starlin: That was the one exception where there was some long term plotting on Thanos. Kirby had done the New Gods, which I thought was terrific. He was over at DC at the time. I came up with some things that were inspired by that. You’d think that Thanos was inspired by Darkseid, but that was not the case when I showed up. In my first Thanos drawings, if he looked like anybody, it was Metron. I had all these different gods and things I wanted to do, which became Thanos and the Titans. Roy [Thomas] took one look at the guy in the Metron-like chair and said : “Beef him up! If you’re going to steal one of the New Gods, at least rip off Darkseid, the really good one!(Comic Book Artist #2, TwoMorrows, June, 1998)

:whistle:

Edited by jools&jim

On 4/24/2018 at 7:58 PM, 1Cool said:

Starlin actually looks happy in those pictures.  Shocked.  After meeting him briefly he comes across as quite the grump and he definetely seemed like the type of guy who is just never happy.  Maybe the comic industry has wore him down.

Pretty sure the comic industry wears EVERYONE down... like Jim Shooter... that guy got screwed over so many times 

Well, let's be honest. Thanos is a better, more nuanced, version of Darkseid, so Starlin can't totally be enraged he hasn't gotten $100 million for the idea he lifted from Kirby/DC. True, Gamora, et al. are his babies too and don't appear to be clones of other characters. I am hoping his contributions to the MCU have at least gotten him a 7 figure payout in addition to whatever they paid him back in the day. Marvel is making too much money from movies for us to hear about another Dave Cockrum situation, a guy who helped create half the new X-Men, getting wiped out by medical bills.

Having just watched Infinity War, I do feel that Starlin’s creator credit should’ve been more prominent, such as ‘Based on characters created by Stan Lee, Jack Kirby and Jim Starlin’, rather than being somewhat more buried away, much later on.