• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So...why DID they second print Batman Adventures #13 and #14...?

39 posts in this topic

Theories, guesses, anything is welcome. Why did they second print these two? Sales, of course, wouldn't justify it, but collector's packs might. But...at that time, they were already selling 20 packs, so they certainly could have printed enough for those...and the 20 packs contain first printings, same as #12, #11, etc.

The original Batman Adventures art contest might have passed, too, which...if anyone cared...might have created a problem for DC...or it might not.

They're interesting little relics, aren't they?

s-l1600.jpg

1 minute ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Theories, guesses, anything is welcome. Why did they second print these two? Sales, of course, wouldn't justify it, but collector's packs might. But...at that time, they were already selling 20 packs, so they certainly could have printed enough for those...and the 20 packs contain first printings, same as #12, #11, etc.

The original Batman Adventures art contest might have passed, too, which...if anyone cared...might have created a problem for DC...or it might not.

s-l1600.jpg

Never saw this, cool book. I love 2nd printings.

One of the beauties of the vast wasteland that was the 1990's in comics is that it created a lot of tiny little niches for people to explore, books that would never have gotten produced under other circumstances, which makes the era rich for finding hidden gems like this. 

Are they worth anything? SHOULD they be worth anything? Probably not, to both questions. It's simply cool to find "something different" amidst the acres and acres and acres of standard comics of the era. People can throw Batman #492 at you by the pallet...but the third printing...? Now it gets a little trickier.

7 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

s-l1600.jpg

There is also a DC Bullet variant of #14 that came in one of those 20 packs, so those collections (at least those sealed with this book as one of the books on the outside) wouldn’t appear to be the source of the second print. 

The Bullet variant is pretty difficult to find, and I’ve never seen a second print of any of the BTAS books despite looking for just these kinds of rarities when I’m box diving. 

Edited by mysterio

Never seen this, but it strikes me that there's no price on it. It must have been included with something else - as part of a set, or maybe a board game like the Pressman X-Men or something? Because just from the look of it, it does not appear to have been meant to be sold individually. 

2 hours ago, Crimebuster said:

Never seen this, but it strikes me that there's no price on it. It must have been included with something else - as part of a set, or maybe a board game like the Pressman X-Men or something? Because just from the look of it, it does not appear to have been meant to be sold individually. 

+1

I have a high grade copy of this tucked away somewhere.

A buck and a memory will get me a cup of coffee, but I'm about 80% sure that this book came from a 10-pack of DC Comics that was given to me by a business partner around 1993. I do remember that one book in the pack was Flash #94 (2nd print) - which has a cover price - but I think this was another.

File this one away as "possible" rather than "confirmed" though... i have a very large collection, and remembering one book from 25+ years ago is definitely problematic.

Edited by Brock

4 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Only DC and the printer know for sure.

:baiting:

The printer probably has no idea. They don't ask why when they receive an order. They just print.

It's possible not even DC knows at this point. I wonder what it would take to convince them to get an archivist's permission to dive through their records...

hm

I wonder if they brought their records out to CA....

30 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

The printer probably has no idea. They don't ask why when they receive an order. They just print.

It's possible not even DC knows at this point. I wonder what it would take to convince them to get an archivist's permission to dive through their records...

hm

I wonder if they brought their records out to CA....

I have one of those 20 packs from that time period unopened. I could pull that apart and look.

9 minutes ago, Brock said:

I have a high grade copy of this tucked away somewhere.

A buck and a memory will get me a cup of coffee, but I'm about 80% sure that this book came from a 10-pack of DC Comics that was given to me by a business partner around 1993. I do remember that one book in the pack was Flash #94 (2nd print) - which has a cover price - but I think this was another.

File this one away as "possible" rather than "confirmed" though... i have a very large collection, and remembering one book from 25+ years ago is definitely problematic.

Hey, anything is welcome. Theorizing out loud may jar other memories. This community has pretty well explained the reason for the vast majority of these books, but these two remain a mystery. While there are certainly similar books, there is absolutely nothing else from DC that is exactly like these two. What made these two special? Why would they be printed with no cover price? They certainly weren't printed because of demand; not even the fairly well selling #1 or #7 got that treatment.

3 hours ago, Crimebuster said:

Yes, that's certainly a clue. 

How many of you have never heard of and/or seen this before this thread? I ran across one of these a couple of years ago, and was completely dumbfounded that such a book would exist.

By the way....if anyone's interested, the picture I posted is of a copy for sale on eBay at the moment, and not by me, and it's fairly cheap, all things considered.

1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Hey, anything is welcome. Theorizing out loud may jar other memories. This community has pretty well explained the reason for the vast majority of these books, but these two remain a mystery. While there are certainly similar books, there is absolutely nothing else from DC that is exactly like these two. What made these two special? Why would they be printed with no cover price? They certainly weren't printed because of demand; not even the fairly well selling #1 or #7 got that treatment.

Yes, that's certainly a clue. 

How many of you have never heard of and/or seen this before this thread? I ran across one of these a couple of years ago, and was completely dumbfounded that such a book would exist.

By the way....if anyone's interested, the picture I posted is of a copy for sale on eBay at the moment, and not by me, and it's fairly cheap, all things considered.

The GCD doesn't list the second print of 13 but does of 14. Do you have a copy of the 13?

35 minutes ago, David Buck said:

This Set was on ebay a couple of years back - has Batman Adventures 14 & 16 - the #16 pictured is a second print - this is also the set where the coloring book in comic format originates 

batmanset1.JPG

batmanset2.jpg

batmanset3.jpg

EXCELLENT! I had no idea about #16!

(Or, I'm confusing #13 with #16, and have one. Either way.)

Thank you! That's a FANTASTIC find! I've never seen a package like it!

Edited by RockMyAmadeus
The rain in Spain stays mainly on the plain.

Just now, RockMyAmadeus said:

EXCELLENT! I had no idea about #16!

(Or, I'm confusing #13 with #16, and have one. Either way.)

Thank you! That's a FANTASTIC find! I've never see a package like it!

That must be it. Now on to eBay to find the 16. The 14 is an appearance of the "Ventriloquist", so there's a little demand for it.