• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So...why DID they second print Batman Adventures #13 and #14...?

39 posts in this topic

Just now, FlyingDonut said:

That must be it. Now on to eBay to find the 16. The 14 is an appearance of the "Ventriloquist", so there's a little demand for it.

Maybe. I'm not so sure. I'll have to dig them out at some point and see. 

But that set that David Buck posted is fantastic. That box must have been huge. I've never seen a collection like that. Now I need one.

Did you see where it says "Batman Adventures #1 Silver Edition"...? 

28 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

OK. The 16 is weird:

Four! versions.

The other three are the Direct, newsstand, and collector's pack (which you knew.)

I would love to find out more about this giant collectors pack.

What is the BA #1 Silver? Is there anything special about the Mask of the Phantasm? When was it made? Was it officially licensed? (it would have to be, but......) 

If someone has a copy handy, check out the ads, and lets see if we can match them up to a later date.

7 minutes ago, David Buck said:

I don't think that one is anything special though - just this:

DC Silver Edition Batman Adventures (1992) 1

Ah yes...ok, I have that one. Helps to see it to jog the memory.

They also did this one:

s-l1600.jpg

And the rest of the set...plus a few others.

I *think* that would have been...God, I don't remember anymore...1994? 1995? I remember when they came out.

Of course, they were dirty reprints, and nobody wanted those. ;)

Thanks David Buck! 20 posts in 13 years. You're a quiet one! :D

15 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Ah yes...ok, I have that one. Helps to see it to jog the memory.

They also did this one:

s-l1600.jpg

And the rest of the set...plus a few others.

I *think* that would have been...God, I don't remember anymore...1994? 1995? I remember when they came out.

Of course, they were dirty reprints, and nobody wanted those. ;)

Thanks David Buck! 20 posts in 13 years. You're a quiet one! :D

You're welcome - I joined up a long time back but didn't come on here again for years - I love finding obscure DC items - much more interesting than run of the mill books - so when I can help with info. I do 

Edited by David Buck

30 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

They also did this one:

s-l1600.jpg

And the Man of Steel series as well (although I assume you knew):

5ae0f65ae6339_manofsteel.jpg.2a5dc703b0ef96e5647d414d6d61c77d.jpg

Has anyone made a comprehensive list of the Silver Editions?

17 minutes ago, Brock said:

And the Man of Steel series as well (although I assume you knew):

5ae0f65ae6339_manofsteel.jpg.2a5dc703b0ef96e5647d414d6d61c77d.jpg

Has anyone made a comprehensive list of the Silver Editions?

Yeah, they did several of those. I would imagine that the $1.95 cover price means that it was in 1995. 1996 seems too late, but maybe. By 1997, standard comics went to $2.25.

I'd have to pull one out to see.

I don't know of a list of them, but....I have the feeling there weren't a lot of them.

Wow, what a great thread, exactly the sort of thing these boards are great at! Thanks, I pulled the 16 IInd at my LCS a few months ago and had been puzzling on its origins. Now I want one of those crazy huge packs too!

22 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

OK. The 16 is weird:

Four! versions.

The #16 with the Bat UPC that isn’t marked II could have been from a pre-DCU 20 pack. #17 is the earliest known DCU of BTAS. Star Trek books from multipacks have the Star Trek symbol in the UPC. 

Edited by mysterio

5 minutes ago, mysterio said:

The #16 with the Bat UPC that isn’t marked II could have been from a pre-DCU 20 pack. #17 is the earliest known DCU of BTAS. Star Trek books from multipacks have the Star Trek symbol in the UPC. 

I don't know that that's quite accurate. The cover marking program for the DCUs began with the Jan 94 cover dates, with others which were reprinted as necessary from previous issues always having that cover marking (DCU or other.) 

There are several Batman collector pack "DCUs" that have the bat symbol. Same as the Zero Hour "DCUs" with the zero hour symbol. You guys have been including them in your DCU counts, right...?

In any event, both the #14 and #16 "first prints" with the bat symbol or bullet are collector pack copies.

Interesting also that the set contains the Batman The Collected Adventures vol.1 TPB in the bottom window which is not mentioned on the sticker - actually second thoughts - that's probably the bottom line which I thought was part of the Mask of The Phantasm adaptation description

Edited by David Buck

49 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I don't know that that's quite accurate. The cover marking program for the DCUs began with the Jan 94 cover dates, with others which were reprinted as necessary from previous issues always having that cover marking (DCU or other.) 

There are several Batman collector pack "DCUs" that have the bat symbol. Same as the Zero Hour "DCUs" with the zero hour symbol. You guys have been including them in your DCU counts, right...?

In any event, both the #14 and #16 "first prints" with the bat symbol or bullet are collector pack copies.

I'm not clear on what you found potentially inaccurate about my post. DCUs (and I mean this in the literal sense, not simply as collector pack books) do start with Jan 1994 (with obvious reprinted exceptions like the Death of Superman/Funeral books). They are often preceded by a DC Bullet issue in the month immediately prior (Batman #502 bullet right before Batman #503 as the 1st DCU issue).

You're correct that there are other UPC styles/symbols that can be found in various collector packs. Collector packs don't have to have DCU UPCs. These BTAS books have the bat symbol UPC and are from collector packs. DCUs are specific types of variants (why I referred to them in the literal sense above). As far as we know, all DCUs came in collector packs, but not all collector pack books are considered DCUs (these bat symbol books would not be, in my opinion). Zero Hour books with the symbol are Zero Hour variants that came from collector packs, but are not DCUs in the strict sense.

Does that help clarify my post?

These are three of these collector pack variants with the specific UPC types we referenced. I know that @RockMyAmadeus is familiar with these, but I post them for those who are not.

Top is DCU (DC Universe), middle is DC Bullet, bottom is Zero Hour. All are from collector packs, but these variants are often not considered identical by those who collect these.

Action714.jpg

WW81.jpg

ZeroHour03var.jpg

Edited by mysterio

11 minutes ago, mysterio said:

I'm not clear on what you found potentially inaccurate about my post. DCUs (and I mean this in the literal sense, not simply as collector pack books) do start with Jan 1994 (with obvious reprinted exceptions like the Death of Superman/Funeral books). They are often preceded by a DC Bullet issue in the month immediately prior (Batman #502 bullet right before Batman #503 as the 1st DCU issue).

You're correct that there are other UPC styles/symbols that can be found in various collector packs. Collector packs don't have to have DCU UPCs. These BTAS books have the bat symbol UPC and are from collector packs. DCUs are specific types of variants (why I referred to them in the literal sense above). As far as we know, all DCUs came in collector packs, but not all collector pack books are considered DCUs (these bat symbol books would not be, in my opinion). Zero Hour books with the symbol are Zero Hour variants that came from collector packs, but are not DCUs in the strict sense.

What I found potentially inaccurate was the idea that they came from PRE-DCU 20 packs.I think it's quite safe to say that, in the case of these two, that wasn't the case.

My point about cover markings is that the DC bullet...or any other non-UPC logo in the UPC box (that is, neither Direct nor newsstand) are Collector pack books. 

I see (and did not know) that there were DCU only classifiers. In my mind, they're all part of the same group of issues, specially made for the collector packs of the mid-90s.

I consider the bullet issues and the zero hour issues...and any others...to be "DCU" editions, or, more correctly, "collector pack" editions, made for the same purpose, often at the same time, and distinguishable by cover markings from the regular Direct or newsstand releases.

It's too bad we didn't have a message board community that could document these as they came out.

2 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:
19 minutes ago, mysterio said:

What I found potentially inaccurate was the idea that they came from PRE-DCU 20 packs.I think it's quite safe to say that, in the case of these two, that wasn't the case.

My point about cover markings is that the DC bullet...or any other non-UPC logo in the UPC box (that is, neither Direct nor newsstand) are Collector pack books. 

I see (and did not know) that there were DCU only classifiers. In my mind, they're all part of the same group of issues, specially made for the collector packs of the mid-90s.

I consider the bullet issues and the zero hour issues...and any others...to be "DCU" editions, or, more correctly, "collector pack" editions, made for the same purpose, often at the same time, and distinguishable by cover markings from the regular Direct or newsstand releases.

It's too bad we didn't have a message board community that could document these as they came out.

I think we just misinterpreted each other because I was using DCU in the strict sense, and you in the loose sense as meaning all collector pack books. There were collector packs that did not contain any books with DCU style UPCs, which in my mind is a pre-DCU collector pack. That is all I meant. I collect all these variants, and tend to refer to them sensu stricto.