• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it a bad idea to reholder all my books?
1 1

53 posts in this topic

I love the new case and label but I wonder if I should stick with the old case. The original CGC labels from way back seem to have a special history of being more strictly graded. I wonder if the case and label from just before the recent change will have collectible significance as well. 

I think the same feeling with older cases as i do with older cars,more class and a special place in history. The new cases do present better but being old fashion i like the past and not so much the future (thumbsu 

I doubt there’s any collectible significance to them apart from potentially being graded during a “strict” time period.  I still have “first generation” books and “red label moderns”.  I’m not spending the money to have them regarded/relabeled.  

Do what you want to do, of course.  I’d rather spend that money elsewhere.

It's odd.

After all the threads lately about people not wanting to send in books right now because cgc seems strict, that people still have this idea that older labels were stricter...(shrug)

6 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

It's odd.

After all the threads lately about people not wanting to send in books right now because cgc seems strict, that people still have this idea that older labels were stricter...(shrug)

Most books in the older slabs were graded Before pressing comics came into play.  :gossip: 

1 minute ago, nepatkm said:

Most books in the older slabs were graded Before pressing comics came into play.  :gossip: 

Ah that makes since (thumbsu just hadn't been mentioned yet....

I'll tell you one thing the newest slabs are much clearer & present better! No doubt about it. I had a couple of reholders done & the books look so much better in the new slab. The negative is that they're thicker, weigh just a bit more & take up a little more space. The presentation improvement is worth it in my view

5 minutes ago, nepatkm said:

Well since I'm a bit of a noob and only had one press from a pgx book when, and I then got it graded by cgc and it came went from 5.5 to 4.5..., how sure are we that pressing was not done back then?

Even CGC says the reason that they do not count it as a negative, is because it is not possible to see if it has been done.... ??? 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

3 minutes ago, deadleg said:

I don’t really see any cons other than the hit your wallet is going to take. It’s all up to you though. 

Yeah - if you're independently wealthy, you should get them reholdered every 60 days! :banana: 

7 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Well since I'm a bit of a noob and only had one press from a pgx book when I got it graded by cgc and came back from 5.5 to 4.5..., how sure are we that pressing was not done back then?

Even CGC says the reason that they do not count it as a negative, is because it is not possible to see if it has been done.... ??? 

They could have been, not as readily available to do. And I remember when it kind of started becoming a thing, many threads about it - and it wasn’t really welcomed as it is today. 

6 minutes ago, nepatkm said:

They could have been, not as readily available to do. And I remember when it kind of started becoming a thing, many threads about it - and it wasn’t really welcomed as it is today. 

Thanks! I get that cgc didn't exactly come up with the idea. I wonder if it was rumored here on the boards that pressing happened, and maybe cgc addressed it by saying....It's not detectable, there fore we'll sponsor it. :shy: I always thought that it was a if you can't beat them join them kind of thing. I also respected old labels, although I only have 1. I was on the fence about pressing, so I took a Pgx  (rather than old labels) but as you see that didn't work out lol

I was around for the 2nd gen labels, is it for certain that ccs started with the newest gen cases?

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

4 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Thanks! I get that cgc didn't exactly come up with the idea. I wonder if it was rumored here on the boards that pressing happened, and maybe cgc addressed it by saying....It's not detectable, there fore we'll sponsor it. :shy: I always thought that it was a if you can't beat them join them kind of thing. I also respected old labels, although I only have 1. I was on the fence about pressing, so I took a Pgx  (rather than old labels) but as you see that didn't work out lol

I was around for the 2nd gen labels, is it for certain that ccs started with the newest gen cases?

I believe pressing became more of a thing sometime after these labels ended ( I think of them as second , because universal labels were red / not blue at 1st )

DA292225-919F-4A74-8634-92707FF7CC0A.jpeg

10 minutes ago, nepatkm said:

I believe pressing became more of a thing sometime after these labels ended ( I think of them as second , because universal labels were red / not blue at 1st )

Modern labels were red first.  The others were always blue. 

9 minutes ago, nepatkm said:

That’s first gen.  When CGC first started they had blue & red universal labels.  Red was for books 1980 and newer.  Books older than 1980 were blue label.

And pressing was around (Reynold Jay, Ewert, etc were all pressing books).  It just wasn’t as rampant/common as it is now.   

28 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

lol

I was around for the 2nd gen labels.

is it for certain that ccs started with the newest gen cases?

What about cgc? When did they start with ccs? Is that a relatively new development?