• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it a bad idea to reholder all my books?
1 1

53 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

That’s first gen.  When CGC first started they had blue & red universal labels.  Red was for books 1980 and newer.  Books older than 1980 were blue label.

And pressing was around (Reynold Jay, Ewert, etc were all pressing books).  It just wasn’t as rampant/common as it is now.   

I consider this 2nd ( my opinion only ) when moderns changed from red to blue. 

B4909661-9955-4A7E-B0B4-88DE65D882C7.jpeg

Well none the less...

No one meant to hijack the thread....

It's A personal choice to remove the old cases.....depends on need and want.... I also think all cases might be eventually recycled so to speak. I don't really know, because I don't know how big grading was back then... or of there were "tons" graded...

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

3 hours ago, deadleg said:

@snownado How many books were you looking to get reholdered? 

Ten of them. I'd probably send one or two here and there over time. I really love the clarity of the new cases and I have mostly original sketch covers. Sounds to me, from all the comments, that the more recent previous case and label aren't really getting much nostalgic love. I'm fine with that. I appreciate all the feedback from everyone. It's a huge help.

Edited by snownado

Has CGC changed its stance on NO discounting for reholdering in any form of bulk tiers?

Like: 10,20,25,40,50,75,100, etc 

I have over 575 slabs with I believe, serial numbers starting in 2001 up until a few months ago. I’d love to get a good chunk of them reholdered into the “new-old, new” (maybe another new?) holders. I love some of the OG red old label goodness and actually, some from each era or versions (...corrected versions) thereafter. There are certain runs, slabs I display and just individual titles and books I’d like visually and structurally in this newest incarnation of holders. 

Edited by Icculus308win

A perfect Father’s Day or B-day or Christmas present from my Wife and kids. Seriously, I’m at the point of not needing anything new or added in so many arenas - it would be a much appreciated and meaningful gift to me and for my kids when they inherit these books. 

(Including they fill out submission form and have packed and send:)

Edited by Icculus308win

lol 

I did that through the years in less bulk with 50 and 100 and I think stopped at 250 and the answer was nothing offered at that time.  

At this juncture in time, I don’t need or want all, but still have a good chunk I’d like to do. 

(They could have made more money off me, cause I’d be doing the same thing now with these newest holders. Because first time, imho they really enhance the clarity and eye appeal of the books)

Edited by Icculus308win
Better sentence

9 hours ago, greggy said:

Modern labels were red first.  The others were always blue. 

I got the impression that "red labels" were CGC's "prototype" label/phase, it that true? Not many red labels from my understanding.

I liked being able to 'fix' the newton rings (using an envelope) on the old slabs. These days there's pretty much nothing you can do about them ... and, from what I've seen, they're a lot worse.

20 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

That’s first gen.  When CGC first started they had blue & red universal labels.  Red was for books 1980 and newer.  Books older than 1980 were blue label.

Actually, it was 1975-current (at the time, 2000-2001)

Edited by valiantman
added the 2003 answer from Gemma

I am in the process of getting a few books re-holdered because of cracked or chip cases mostly.  A couple for eye appeal as the new cases make a comic book look a lot better.  I did an Express Drop off at the Fan Days Expo in Dallas.  
Re-holdering is expensive so I won't do it often and only if I can do Express Drop off so I can at least save a little money on shipping. 

I love the new holders.Far superior to any previous design, in my opinion. 

I've seriously thought about reholdering my entire Spawn run, but at 350 books, it gets quite expensive. I wish that the CGC offered bulk discounts.

The real expense would be shipping them down there, and paying for shipping back.

I've thought about taking a 2 week vacation to south Florida. I could take them down all at once, drop them off, and (hopefully) pick them back up.

But my last reholder (just last month) took 5 weeks! :whatthe:

But I always go back to the thought that I could take that money and buy some really, really cool books with it. :)

10 minutes ago, newshane said:

I love the new holders.Far superior to any previous design, in my opinion. 

I've seriously thought about reholdering my entire Spawn run, but at 350 books, it gets quite expensive. I wish that the CGC offered bulk discounts.

The real expense would be shipping them down there, and paying for shipping back.

I've thought about taking a 2 week vacation to south Florida. I could take them down all at once, drop them off, and (hopefully) pick them back up.

But my last reholder (just last month) took 5 weeks! :whatthe:

But I always go back to the thought that I could take that money and buy some really, really cool books with it. :)

lol  Yes,  with the money you spend to JUST re-holder some comics, I could actually spend that money to get some comics graded instead.

Just now, musicmeta said:

lol  Yes,  with the money you spend to JUST re-holder some comics, I could actually spend that money to get some comics graded instead.

I agree BUT...

everything would match! :cry:

And I really do like the new slabs much better. The older ones feel like toys in comparison.

2 minutes ago, newshane said:

I agree BUT...

everything would match! :cry:

And I really do like the new slabs much better. The older ones feel like toys in comparison.

Out of the 350, you still have 350 in older cases?  That's some dedication from way back then. (thumbsu

That might be a more interesting story if you leave them the way they are...