• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it a bad idea to reholder all my books?
1 1

53 posts in this topic

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:

Out of the 350, you still have 350 in older cases?  That's some dedication from way back then. (thumbsu

That might be a more interesting story if you leave them the way they are...

You're right...not an accurate number. I'd say maybe 50-75 of those are in the new holders. But still...275ish is a lot of money.

1 hour ago, newshane said:

You're right...not an accurate number. I'd say maybe 50-75 of those are in the new holders. But still...275ish is a lot of money.

lolI don't want to diminish at all, but ya even at quick math, if it were even $10, at least $2750.... I can't imagine the shipping! But it is $15 A pop

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

2 minutes ago, musicmeta said:

Actually I think it's at least $15 a pop. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

No your correct, that was my "quick math" lol

Should have have said at least 2,750, but then you could decide that by 2 = 1,375...Lol

1375 + 2750 = $4,025, so at least that much not including form fees and shipping....:foryou:

2 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

lolI don't want to diminish at all, but ya even at quick math, if it were even $10, at least $2750.... I can't imagine the shipping! But it is $15 A pop

Shipping is HUGE man...there's the rub.

I just checked. It would cost $4859 (reholder fees+ invoice fee + return shipping via UPS ground) to have 275 slabs redone.

That's NOT including the cost of shipping them TO the CGC, Not to mention all of the packaging supplies that would be required.

So, yeah, I could buy a nice Hulk 181 for the price that it would take to get my run serviced.

Edited by newshane

3 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I think that anyone considering submitting all their books for reholder is absolutely crazy. It's a flat out waste of money. Show some fiscal responsibility.

I am a total nutjob.

But like I said, in the end the math wins. For me it's money best spend elsewhere.

That being said, I will definitely be sending all of my 9.9s back for reholders...along with some of the more valuable (or flat out awesome) issues in the run. I have quite a few unique books that could warrant the white-glove treatment. But as far as going crazy and having everything done? No way.

8 minutes ago, newshane said:

That being said, I will definitely be sending all of my 9.9s back for reholders...along with some of the more valuable (or flat out awesome) issues in the run. I have quite a few unique books that could warrant the white-glove treatment. But as far as going crazy and having everything done? No way.

As a word of caution, unless the case was damaged, I would not send a 9.9 back for a reholder. Too much risk for damage. What if the guy opening it up or the guy doing the encapsulation dings a corner. Sure, it will still have a 9.9 label but it may no longer be a 9.9 book. Also, though I like the look of the books in the new holders, I do not always like the way they are fitted in the inner well. They seem to encapsulate the book snug against an edge with a wedge applying pressure to hold it in place. Often the book looks 'stressed'. 

On 4/26/2018 at 6:38 AM, KPR Comics said:

When I see threads like this, I think of this.

-CGC Management

greedy gif.gif

+1

That's exactly why they generally update their labels every few years.

To catch all of the collectors with OCD who just need to have all of their slabs with the exact same labels.  :screwy:

And then you get the old cheapo collectors like me who still have their comics bagged in blocks in those old poly bags from 30 to 40+ years ago.  lol

I just had this exact same discussion with a good customer of mine...

Yes, it would be a silly idea and for all these random reasons...

- cost

- there are guys who only collect pre design change slabs

- old labels in most cases command more, with an old label white pager being the gold standard of graded comic books

- why would you put your comics through the rigours of reholdering?  Stress during, shipping, cracking of the slab and encapsulation.  

- what if your parcel got lost, sure it’s insured but do you wanna collect them all over again?  

-  what are the benefits, you hang them on your wall as art, or in a short box away from the elements?