• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Likelyhood of these CGC cracks to effect comic condition?

17 posts in this topic

Just received this comic book from an Ebay seller and the insufficiently_thoughtful_person didn't wrap it properly and it got damaged in transit. Hes an insufficiently_thoughtful_person but I still feel for the guy since if I ask for a refund, the postal service will probably stiff him with insurance. What are the odds that the book itself is damaged with case damage like this? I am considering asking the seller for a partial refund of $500 so I can send this book back to CGC for a new case. Thoughts?

30849204_10156064045428145_630478089_o.jpg

30947279_10156064045443145_1509009385_o.jpg

First off, I'm sorry this happened to you.  Are you sure it is the seller's fault and not the USPS?  If improperly packed then I understand your frustration toward them.  If not, then maybe the PO is to blame.

At any rate, based on your pics (and not being able to look at it in person) it's hard to tell if any damage at all occurred to the book itself.  Can you post better pics of the spot where the bigger crack is?  If no damage is on the book (that you can tell) a $500 refund seems like a lot to ask for when all it would cost is a re-holder free.  Granted, if there IS damage there will be a loss in value and your partial refund amount might be more justified.

Basically we need more info - what is the CGC grade on the book to begin with.  If it's a 9.0 or higher than a $500 refund due to damage could also be not enough.  You need to try to ascertain if damage occurred to the book first and foremost.

Sorry again for your troubles :(

Ouch, that's nasty. I suspect the book is probably fine but without seeing it in hand it's difficult to say. I'm sure the impact hit the inner well pretty hard. Can you see any indentation on the comic itself ? There's also the possibility the book had a violent shift inside the slab and left some damage along an edge somewhere. You would have to study the book in hand against the original pics. If you send this back in, CGC will probably need to regrade it. Personally, I wouldn't chance it and simply get a refund.

2 minutes ago, Sensei Ryan said:

a $500 refund seems like a lot to ask for when all it would cost is a re-holder free.  

I don't think CGC would simply reholder the book. I think they would need to regrade it. If the grade went down, 500 would probably not cover it. IMO, it's a risk to keep it.

Thanks for the responses. I have had another close look and it is extremely hard to tell if the book itself is damaged. it's a 7.0 graded Amazing Spider-man 14. First Green Goblin. So I would love to keep this book. I have attached another image, there seem to be some decent damage on the top left of the book (not from the delivery) but it makes me concerned that it isn't a 7.0 rating. Thoughts? Oh and just to clarify more, the "UPS" (I'm in Australia so we have "POST") is totally at fault here BUT if the seller wrapped it better it could of been avoided. 

30922081_10156064107348145_1463663675_o.jpg

Edited by GroundRex

5 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I don't think CGC would simply reholder the book. I think they would need to regrade it. If the grade went down, 500 would probably not cover it. IMO, it's a risk to keep it.

It depends on how bad the damage is to the case but yes, they could regrade it so I agree with you that the OP should probably just reship the book back (in better packing) to the seller and ask for a full refund just to be safe.  Too many 'ifs' in the scenario to worry about damage to the book and best to just return and let the seller deal with it.

To answer the OP's question about the corner, with this being a 'restored' graded 7.0 that damage doesn't look too bad for the grade/age of the book, I don't think.  Once again, without seeing the entire front and back cover it's hard to say that that doesn't equal a 7.0. If that's the only rough corner it absolutely could pass for a 7.0 but keep in mind the book is restored which off-sets the grade anyway, IMO.

Good luck on what you decide to do!

15 minutes ago, GroundRex said:

T30922081_10156064107348145_1463663675_o.jpg

That top left looks like the book is wedged snugly into the corner. It's hard to tell but it also looks like that corner has a crunch. If so, this is a case of SCS (Shaken Comic Syndrome) which occurs when the book has moved inside the inner well. Sometimes this can result in damage at the staple areas, worst case detachment at the staples. There's just so many maybe's here. Send it back.  BTW, IMO, this is on the seller. He could have/should have double boxed with lots of padding. You have to ship with the worst case scenario in mind.

One last question instead of making a new thread! 

Does having a Marvel comic that is CGC signed by stan lee but not written by him devalue a comic? For example the first Deadpool appearance. If that was signed by stan lee would that decrease its value or not? Thanks heaps!

Here's my view on the ASM #14. It depends how much you want it. If it was your lifelong dream (or yearlong dream) to own this comic, keep it. If the grade matters, keep it as it is. If the case matters more, get it re-holdered (accepting the re-grading risk). If the whole thing matters rather less, send it back for a refund. eBay always sides with buyers in cases like this. Then use the refund money buy another comic. I feel for the seller in instances like this as I believe you do, but (using only your interpretation) it seems they were the author of their own misfortune. Un-necessary bother/expense/heartache for both of you. I'm sorry this happened. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

8 hours ago, GroundRex said:

One last question instead of making a new thread! 

Does having a Marvel comic that is CGC signed by stan lee but not written by him devalue a comic? For example the first Deadpool appearance. If that was signed by stan lee would that decrease its value or not? Thanks heaps!

Why would you have him sign a book he had nothing to do with?

in reference to your damaged book, did the seller fully insure it through USPS.  If he did you could file a claim with them.  I have never had any issues getting $$$ from a claim.

10 hours ago, Parabellum said:

Why would you have him sign a book he had nothing to do with?

in reference to your damaged book, did the seller fully insure it through USPS.  If he did you could file a claim with them.  I have never had any issues getting $$$ from a claim.

Not me personally but i have purchased books with his signature that he didn't write. I guess in essence he has something to do with every marvel book since most say Stan Lee presents. Thanks for the reply!

You're a brave man, buying that book with that single cruddy photo in the ebay listing! (Assuming it's this one https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/amazing-spiderman-14-cgc-7-first-appearance-green-goblin-and-hulk-appearance-/232714540755  )

I note that the flash from his camera 'accidentally' washed out that top left corner... meh

It was also severely overpriced. Heritage sold a 7.5 unrestored for US$2091 (A$2,270) just a couple of moths ago ( https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/the-amazing-spider-man-14-marvel-1964-cgc-vf-75-off-white-to-white-pages/a/121808-14218.s )

Here's my advice - take advantage of the cracked case to save yourself from a bad deal, and return it (registered post) for a refund. 2c

26 minutes ago, AJD said:

You're a brave man, buying that book with that single cruddy photo in the ebay listing! (Assuming it's this one https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/amazing-spiderman-14-cgc-7-first-appearance-green-goblin-and-hulk-appearance-/232714540755  )

I note that the flash from his camera 'accidentally' washed out that top left corner... meh

It was also severely overpriced. Heritage sold a 7.5 unrestored for US$2091 (A$2,270) just a couple of moths ago ( https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/the-amazing-spider-man-14-marvel-1964-cgc-vf-75-off-white-to-white-pages/a/121808-14218.s )

Here's my advice - take advantage of the cracked case to save yourself from a bad deal, and return it (registered post) for a refund. 2c

+1 That was a bad buy. Send it back. Now !!!

1 hour ago, AJD said:

After I made this post I actually did more research on the book and completely missed the fact that it was restored. If it wasn't restored I still would of gladly paid the extra money to own the book since it's hard to find in Australia for a decent price. But yes the cracks are a huge blessing in disguise and one that won't happen again. I am fairly new to collecting CGC comics and struggle to find a solid answer to the value of a comic. Just today someone on my local buy swap sell was selling a comic for $400, I jumped on ebay and saw that that price was pretty consistent with what else was on eBay and even though I talked him down to $300 I'm still not sure I got a good price. ALSO I just clicked that ebay link and it said It sold for $3000. I actually only bought it for $2100 AU which is $1600 US. Thoughts?

Edited by GroundRex

15 minutes ago, GroundRex said:

After I made this post I actually did more research on the book and completely missed the fact that it was restored. If it wasn't restored I still would of gladly paid the extra money to own the book since it's hard to find in Australia for a decent price. But yes the cracks are a huge blessing in disguise and one that won't happen again. I am fairly new to collecting CGC comics and struggle to find a solid answer to the value of a comic. Just today someone on my local buy swap sell was selling a comic for $400, I jumped on ebay and saw that that price was pretty consistent with what else was on eBay and even though I talked him down to $300 I'm still not sure I got a good price. ALSO I just clicked that ebay link and it said It sold for $3000. I actually only bought it for $2100 AU which is $1600 US. Thoughts?

1600 US would get you about a 6.5 Blue Universal (not restored). I think you still over paid, by a lot.  Send it back. Now.

1 minute ago, Bomber-Bob said:

1600 US would get you about a 6.5 Blue Universal (not restored). I think you still over paid, by a lot.  Send it back. Now.

I am sending it back tomorrow. Like I said it was a blessing in disguise. 

9 hours ago, GroundRex said:

If it wasn't restored I still would of gladly paid the extra money to own the book since it's hard to find in Australia for a decent price.

As someone who has been collecting American comics in Australia for over a decade now, can I gently suggest that you're thinking about that the wrong way? Yes, the books are hard to find in Australia (but keep looking, I have had some excellent local buys) but you shouldn't pay any more premium to get them locally than the cost of shipping them from the US. Some sellers here will do that, and all of the big dealers will. The postage costs from My Comic Shop in Texas are very reasonable (about US$15), so look at their extensive stock and see what you can find.