• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask the “Blazing One”???
4 4

259 posts in this topic

I get complaints that they are too dark and I get complaints that they are too light.

I have tried numerous settings,  I do NOT have enough time to go back and forth on every book.

I have been playing around with settings,  read Vue scans manual but frankly even with my tech background I have no idea what they are talking about when tweaking this or tweaking that.

Doing the best I can

Every time I change a setting for one book the next one comes out different.  

While I'm glad vue scan has enabled me to use an older scanner I really miss that scanners software.

Edited by blazingbob

1 hour ago, Primetime said:

Bob, is this thread decreasing your work productivity? :popcorn:

50 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

No

Of course not as I am sure that he sees this as a nice break from some of the more boring and mundane parts of his workday and might actually even help to re-energize himself.  hm

7 minutes ago, bronze johnny said:

Bob,

What's the first comic book you remember reading as a kid back in the '90s?

john

I think Bob is older then you think. 

6 minutes ago, bronze johnny said:

Bob,

What's the first comic book you remember reading as a kid back in the '90s?

john

LOL,  that question would have been more "back in the 70's".  I was buying off the newstand in 73 and I did not have a "first book" that I read make a lasting impression.  I found bronze age a bit lacking and went to work cutting lawns etc so that I could go to conventions and buy back issues.

Just now, bronze johnny said:

He may be younger than you think...

I've met him and I think he is at least my age (if not a bit older) and I was a kid in the late 70s and early 80s.

Just now, blazingbob said:

LOL,  that question would have been more "back in the 70's".  I was buying off the newstand in 73 and I did not have a "first book" that I read make a lasting impression.  I found bronze age a bit lacking and went to work cutting lawns etc so that I could go to conventions and buy back issues.

Ok, so you were about 4 or 5 years old when you bought your first comic. 

1 minute ago, 1Cool said:

I've met him and I think he is at least my age (if not a bit older) and I was a kid in the late 70s and early 80s.

It's a joke. Bob found it funny and so did I. You're young too!

1 hour ago, shane1956 said:

Bob, what are your views on FF#48 in 9.2 and higher? Will the demand grow ? Is the Surfer now second chair to Black Panther and FF #52? Up until the Movie were they ever really close?

Lets put FF #48 into perspective.  When you go to a convention today and see a stack of new issues at a modern booth and you get to flip through them to pick the best copy that is what FF #48 used to be.  

The book is common.  Silver Surfer is cool now.  If Disney makes a great FF movie with the Silver Surfer/Galactus or even by himself the book will continue to be in demand.

I feel that both FF #48 and #52 can have a lot of high grade copies come to market if a certain price point is hit.  All it takes is one new GPA high and off to the races.  

Black Panther is still riding on a great movie.  

Edited by blazingbob

If a customer is nicer to you are you more likely to be swayed on a dropping on a price or do you take emotion out of it? 

And what’s the most shocked you have been when dealing with a customer? Say looking at someone thinking why is he talking to me about my FF 1 then he  just pulls out a wedge of cash. 

If a customer is nice then I'm more apt to be a little more transparent when trying to work out a price that works for the both of us.  However,  I run a business.  If I can work with them I will,  if I can't I will tell them.  It is not personal though some think that is the case.

If a customer is nice and complaining about things I can't control like their currency exchange rate I'm not exactly sure what I can do about that.  

I don't tolerate liars or "collector's" who ask for a bigger discount then sell the book a week later.  

I've learned over the years to be very careful about profiling a customer.  

I have customers that have failed the "look" test and pulled out a large wad of cash and pay for the book.

Edited by blazingbob

Bob---I was somewhat surprised to hear that you don't have a personal collection of books that you will not sell. My question for you is this: Is there any book that you've sold that you wish you had kept? 

No.  Since my business is high grade comics I generally get to buy and sell high grade copies of issues I've owned before.

People seem to forget or are not aware that sometimes a big collection being brought to the market creates a cross current of interest.  Look at what Jon Berk's collection sale brought to the market.  Under copies get sold,  books that haven't been seen before are displayed and sold.  Market numbers and perceptions are changed.  

When I sold my collection the FF market was kind of thin.  I learned a lot from the sale of my collection and it continues to serve me well to this day.    

Edited by blazingbob