• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask the “Blazing One”???
4 4

259 posts in this topic

Bob

During the first C2E2, you ripped me a new one when I foolishly put a box on your boxes.

After you calmed down did you think the following?

1) greggy's Canadian so that sucker is going to apologize regardless.

2) greggy's respectful in person and that sucker is going to apologize regardless.

3) Man, I was too rough on him.

4) Man, that was good practice for my future confrontation with Doug Schmell at NYCC

5) Why are all Canadians insufficiently_thoughtful_persons like Jim McCallum?

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 6:53 PM, blazingbob said:

No.  Since my business is high grade comics I generally get to buy and sell high grade copies of issues I've owned before.

People seem to forget or are not aware that sometimes a big collection being brought to the market creates a cross current of interest.  Look at what Jon Berk's collection sale brought to the market.  Under copies get sold,  books that haven't been seen before are displayed and sold.  Market numbers and perceptions are changed.  

When I sold my collection the FF market was kind of thin.  I learned a lot from the sale of my collection and it continues to serve me well to this day.    

That's a very refreshing attitude, Bob. It's unfortunate that even if we keep our favorite books, we only get to enjoy owning them for a limited time. Thanks for the insightful reply! 

14 hours ago, greggy said:

Bob

During the first C2E2, you ripped me a new one when I foolishly put a box on your boxes.

After you calmed down did you think the following?

1) greggy's Canadian so that sucker is going to apologize regardless.

2) greggy's respectful in person and that sucker is going to apologize regardless.

3) Man, I was too rough on him.

4) Man, that was good practice for my future confrontation with Doug Schmell at NYCC

5) Why are all Canadians insufficiently_thoughtful_persons like Jim McCallum?

1).  I never really knew at first that you were Canadian.

2).  You are respectful in person.  

3).  I might have been too rough on you.

4).  You have never conducted business at my booth though some other Canadian(s) seemed to have forgotten to read the dealer manual on that one.

5).  You have never taken out a couple of rows of my wall books while helping me at a show like Jim has.  Still love him but letting him take down books has been deleted from his job resume.

Edited by blazingbob

Hey Bob!  Love this thread -- SO much better than clicking hopefully on 'Rants and Raves'.  :shy:

What's your favorite SA book(s) to see and appreciate in really high grade, a copy that's bright and glossy in addition to structurally sound?  I have my own list, but wondered about yours.

Dan

3 hours ago, Drummy said:

Hey Bob!  Love this thread -- SO much better than clicking hopefully on 'Rants and Raves'.  :shy:

What's your favorite SA book(s) to see and appreciate in really high grade, a copy that's bright and glossy in addition to structurally sound?  I have my own list, but wondered about yours.

Dan

FF #16 well centered and striking colors is a great book.

FF #5 in high grade with a great spine is always a awesome book.

Hulk #1 in 9.0 or better definitely gets my attention.

Journey into Mystery #84 in high grade.

While not a Silver age book I loved seeing the 9.6 Batman #49 Genie cover.  Batman #44 is also a great book 

10 hours ago, blazingbob said:

FF #16 well centered and striking colors is a great book.

FF #5 in high grade with a great spine is always a awesome book.

Hulk #1 in 9.0 or better definitely gets my attention.

Journey into Mystery #84 in high grade.

While not a Silver age book I loved seeing the 9.6 Batman #49 Genie cover.  Batman #44 is also a great book 

(sung to the tune of "California Girls")

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

Bob - 

When you started collecting back issues, what was the first “big time” book you remember buying?  We’re you always a high grade only collector or did you “work your way up”?

4 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

Bob - 

When you started collecting back issues, what was the first “big time” book you remember buying?  We’re you always a high grade only collector or did you “work your way up”?

FF #2 VF was the first big book as I believe I stated earlier in this thread.

Was the first Phil Seuling show in NY I went to.

We didn't have comic stores in my neighborhood,  new issues were sold at stationary stores.  Back issues were the monthly/big comic books shows which were only in NYC, mailing away for comic catalogs with your (SASE - Self addressed stamped envelope) or the big monthly newspaper that you could call dealers and buy from.  When I advised in it I had to type up my ad on a Royal typewriter.  I couldn't afford a professional ad. 

Edited by blazingbob

Did you do much business with Jay Maybruck?  Did you ever notice him sniffling a lot during a deal?

One of my more profound early comic book memories was at a Philly con in the late 80s and he was sniffling the entire con and I thought that he must've had quite a cold.  At one point during the show he knocked into his wall and lots of books came tumbling down and he had a major temper tantrum.  Everyone pretty much avoided his booth for the next hour. 

I never did business with Jay Maybruck of Sparkle City comics.  I was not collecting during the Sparkle City heyday.  I got back into comics after Joe Vernault split from Jay and started JHV.  For all the years that I've known Joe he doesn't discuss Jay.  Any tidbits I get from him about Jay are nothing exciting to write about.   Vinny did a very long and extensive interview with Jay.  Jay did call me when the "New" Sparkle city hired him.  I told him to never call me again.  

I'm sure there was a lot of powder deals done in the 80's.

Edited by blazingbob

8 hours ago, blazingbob said:

Vinny did a very long and extensive interview with Jay.

I listened to the entire thing and it may have been the most entertaining comic book related thing I'd ever listened to. I believe there were 3 or 4 interviews.

Did a Google search for it and couldn't find it any longer. Don't know if it was deleted from the internet or not.

1 hour ago, namisgr said:

It's conspicuously gone from their archive.

http://www.comiczoneradio.com/all-interviews.html

It's been gone for a while. I went to re-read it about a year ago and it was no longer there. A lot of reputable folks who are still active in the market were mentioned. If I had to guess, I would imagine  one or more of them may have objected to being associated with his controversies and the link was pulled. It was a wild interview and would make a decent Indy movie. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

22 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

It's been gone for a while. I went to re-read it about a year ago and it was no longer there. A lot of reputable folks who are still active in the market were mentioned. If I had to guess, I would imagine  one or more of them may have objected to being associated with his controversies and the link was pulled. It was a wild interview and would make a decent Indy movie. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

That was my thinking as well.

But listening to it, it was a CRAZY recollection of a comic dealer partying like a rock star (and I'm talking Motley Crue level of partying lol )

27 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

Just because you party like a rock star does not give you a pass or NOT make you accountable for your actions. 

Of course not. Everyone should always be accountable.

But I think what jimjum12 was saying was that some people must have complained about it being out there in public.

You'd have to ask Vinny why he pulled it from his episodes. We're just speculating.

Hi Bob,

What's the best book you ever read about comic books?

If there's one book to have in one's comic book reference library besides the unpublished Storms of the Century: Insight from the Greatest Comic Book Dealer, what would it be? 

Thx,

John