• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Free Comic Book Day May 5th
1 1

54 posts in this topic

Am I the only one who has almost zero interest in this? The book line up looks pretty dismal this year. Because I am a fan of the show, I always pick up the Bongo Simpsons one. But other than that, I really can't see much that I even want for free. This might be the first year I totally pass unless my granddaughters want to go. 

Anything I am missing? Any recomendations? Or, should I just stay home?

FCBD always coincides with the Kentucky Derby (first Saturday in May) so, since we live in Louisville, the Missus and I always leave town that weekend, to get away from the mess. (We also had our first date on Derby Day, so it's extra special.)

So, I am pretty much never in town for FCBD, which means I  mostly miss out on the free books and sales at my LCS. I wouldn't mind hitting up the sale (usually 25-40% off, something like that) but I don't mind missing the FCBD books. On the occasion that I am around a comic shop on that day, or if they still have books left after I get back to town, I'll usually pick up whatever Archie book came out, which I'll give a look and then give to my niece.

If you’re into anime I’d recommend the my hero academia and ghost in the shell. Not sure if either ties into the actual story of the anime, but I think they’re worthy. I’m a tad biased though.

I think turn out usually depends on personal interests really. If nothing peaks interest, then your truly not missing out considering they’re free. The sales are usually decent if you’ve been waiting to get something.

I’ll be going and taking my niece to get some books for the both of us. A good way to introduce her to the hobby.

Anime doesn't appeal to me personally so I probably wouldn't do that. Spiderman is a favorite character but the current stuff just leaves me flat. I read the "Riverdale" last year and was very disapointed with it. So, I might take my grand daughters, 2-1/2 and 4. Although they can't read, they like some of the characters so I can see them wanting Superhero Girls, Frozen and Sponge Bob. I don't buy much in my local store except supplies any more and those are never on sale. As are new comics. 

As much as I want to promote the medium, I don't want to just be a "taker". Just don't see much that gets me motivated. 

I’m excited for the hoopla around the “free comics” —the discounts in store items and back issues, free sketches by local artists, and boxes and boxes of $1 books ( mostly recent issues ) and my daughter loves getting the free comics so yeah, I still like it ??:banana:

21 minutes ago, nepatkm said:

I’m excited for the hoopla around the “free comics” —the discounts in store items and back issues, free sketches by local artists, and boxes and boxes of $1 books ( mostly recent issues ) and my daughter loves getting the free comics so yeah, I still like it ??:banana:

This is what appeals to me as well. A local lcs has a few nice books on the walls and he usually does 25% off on FCBD. I plan on getting there early and hopefully spending some cash. 

History of Tank Girl 

Strangers in Paradise

World's Greatest Cartoonists

Star Wars Adventures

Shadowman

Nightmare Before Christmas

And apparently large store variants are a thing now (e.g. Mile High), but not worrying those. Also... the Lady Mechanika, same book different cover for 3 years running it seems. 

I'll hit the three area stores I patronize- Turning Page, Collector's Edge, & Lost World of Wonders and grab ~8-10 books. 

For me the best part is waiting in line with fellow fans and all the excitement of the day. 

Don't forget to thank the stores, as FCBD isn't free! 

22 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Am I the only one who has almost zero interest in this? The book line up looks pretty dismal this year. Because I am a fan of the show, I always pick up the Bongo Simpsons one. But other than that, I really can't see much that I even want for free. This might be the first year I totally pass unless my granddaughters want to go. 

Anything I am missing? Any recomendations? Or, should I just stay home?

I happened upon "Free Comic Book Day" last year and one of the freebies was this book I can't find now, "Space Cop" or something like that. Very minimalistic and I loved it. Turned me on to this fellow's work so I gotta give a thumbs up to Free Comic Book Day. Here, let me try to scour the bookcase and find what I'm talking about.

Oh, found it. "Moon Cop" by Tom Gauld. Excellent!

On 4/28/2018 at 11:33 AM, oldmilwaukee6er said:

History of Tank Girl 

Strangers in Paradise

World's Greatest Cartoonists

Star Wars Adventures

Shadowman

Nightmare Before Christmas

And apparently large store variants are a thing now (e.g. Mile High), but not worrying those. Also... the Lady Mechanika, same book different cover for 3 years running it seems. 

I'll hit the three area stores I patronize- Turning Page, Collector's Edge, & Lost World of Wonders and grab ~8-10 books. 

For me the best part is waiting in line with fellow fans and all the excitement of the day. 

Don't forget to thank the stores, as FCBD isn't free! 

How's LWW on FCBD?  Not sure if I want to hit one or Kowabunga in Oconomowoc.  Though Kowabunga is having their Grand Re-Opening Sale so I might hit that up to get some of the other deals they'll be offering.

The spongebob book last year was hilarious. Loved how Bob taught Mr Krabs the error of his ways in trying to flip comics lol

The I hate Image book last year was a big hit for me. Nothing too exciting this year. But great looking books for kids. Personally I’m excited for 35% off hardcovers at my local. I always stock up heavy.

On 4/27/2018 at 11:05 PM, Robot Man said:

Sadly, the 3 comic book stores around me have no back issues...:sorry:

Pretty much the same for me, which is why I’m driving about an hour south of where I live to find some back issues that actually might be worth while for me. 

On 4/30/2018 at 7:57 PM, AJD said:

The best thing about FCBD around here is all the excited kids in the store. Great to see.

Yes!  I don't buy regular books anymore but both my kids are always happy to hit Free Comic Book Day.  The shop closest to me does it up really well - popcorn, hot dogs, hamburgers, tents with folks painting faces.  Last year they had a couple of really wicked Cosplay folks as Darth Vader and some Stormtroopers and another awesome Dalek so my kids got pictures with them.

And they put out 40 or so long boxes of dollar comics and 50-75% off a subset of TPBs so it's not uncommon to see kids leave with piles of stuff for under $20.  They've really turned it into an event.  Heck, you have to park a distance away and walk to the store it's so damn busy on FCBD.

The actual Free Comics?  Eh - I'm with everybody else.  Most years I grab stuff I otherwise wouldn't look at and try something new.  The Marvel/DC fare I've passed on.

Edited by roach04
Grammar

On 4/27/2018 at 8:05 PM, Robot Man said:

Sadly, the 3 comic book stores around me have no back issues...:sorry:

:idea:   Well, I guess you could consign your personal collection to them and then they would have lots of truly collectible and vintage back issues to discount and sell on FCBD.  (thumbsu  lol

Edited by lou_fine