• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

does tape affect a CGC comic book
1 1

19 posts in this topic

hey guys i know that tape leaves a nasty residue and yellowing onto comics after sitting for a while on the book, but what if you get a book graded, or what if CGC nots "tape on spine of cover" or "tape on centerfold" can this tape still affect the book even when graded and if so how can you stop it from happening thanks

3 hours ago, Aliens said:

hey guys i know that tape leaves a nasty residue and yellowing onto comics after sitting for a while on the book, but what if you get a book graded, or what if CGC nots "tape on spine of cover" or "tape on centerfold" can this tape still affect the book even when graded and if so how can you stop it from happening thanks

Usually, the tape is there to cover up a flaw, seal a spine split or tear, attach a cover or centerfold, etc. CGC will see the flaw that the tape is attempting to hide and grade it with the flaw. As you stated, the tape, even if removed, will leave a residue or discoloration that will negatively affect the grade, sometimes big time. So basically, yes, the presence of tape will hurt the grade. Not sure what you mean by how can you stop 'it' from happening. What is 'it' ? Personally, I avoid any books with tape.

1 minute ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Usually, the tape is there to cover up a flaw, seal a spine split or tear, attach a cover or centerfold, etc. CGC will see the flaw that the tape is attempting to hide and grade it with the flaw. As you stated, the tape, even if removed, will leave a residue or discoloration that will negatively affect the grade, sometimes big time. So basically, yes, the presence of tape will hurt the grade. Not sure what you mean by how can you stop 'it' from happening. What is 'it' ? Personally, I avoid any books with tape.

8.5 Universal is the highest CGC graded instance I've ever seen for an early Bronze age book with inside cover tape. It looked to be at least 9.4 through the plastic.

Depends on the size of the tape. Not all tape hides flaws, that's definitely not true. Sometimes a piece of tape accidentally sticks to the cover and owner decides to leave it instead of pulling it off and leaving a tape pull. Yes, most tape is used to seal tears. Tape detracts slightly or greatly from the grade if there was no tape, depending on the size again. Very small probably won't affect anything, especially if it's in lower grade. An entire spine taped, even if not completely split will drop a grade much more. Sometimes it's better if the tape has dried and come off and leaves just a stain/residue.

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 9:34 PM, Philflound said:

Depends on the size of the tape. Not all tape hides flaws, that's definitely not true. Sometimes a piece of tape accidentally sticks to the cover and owner decides to leave it instead of pulling it off and leaving a tape pull. Yes, most tape is used to seal tears. Tape detracts slightly or greatly from the grade if there was no tape, depending on the size again. Very small probably won't affect anything, especially if it's in lower grade. An entire spine taped, even if not completely split will drop a grade much more. Sometimes it's better if the tape has dried and come off and leaves just a stain/residue.

...and I've seen cases where someone taped the entire spine just to "prevent it from splitting..." :screwy:

Think the most tape I've ever seen is when I had my store over 20 years ago. Someone came in with an Avengers #1. The entire front was covered with strip after strip of scotch tape going from top to bottom. Not one spot was uncovered. Guy said he wanted to preserve it. Well, he did for a time. At least until it dries up and falls off.

1 hour ago, Philflound said:

Think the most tape I've ever seen is when I had my store over 20 years ago. Someone came in with an Avengers #1. The entire front was covered with strip after strip of scotch tape going from top to bottom. Not one spot was uncovered. Guy said he wanted to preserve it. Well, he did for a time. At least until it dries up and falls off.

:facepalm: !!!

9 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

...and I've seen cases where someone taped the entire spine just to "prevent it from splitting..." :screwy:

5 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

:facepalm: !!!

An early comic and book dealer from the 40s and 50s, one of the pioneers of the comic hobby from the sales standpoint, used to put masking tape on the spines, needed or not, as a split preventive measure! I'm not sure if it was the artist/writer Capt, Biljo White. That name sticks out in my mind in respect to that. On all, or the majority of the books he re-sold, for a penny, nickel, or dime, he taped the spines. I remember seeing a picture of the Biljo/White Action 1 that he taped up. Looked real nice, except for the masking taped spine.  :tonofbricks:.

Edited by James J Johnson

6 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

An early comic and book dealer from the 40s and 50s, one of the pioneers of the comic hobby from the sales standpoint, used to put masking tape on the spines, needed or not, as a split preventive measure! I'm not sure if it was the artist/writer Capt, Biljo White. That name sticks out in my mind in respect to that. On all, or the majority of the books he re-sold, for a penny, nickel, or dime, he taped the spines. I remember seeing a picture of the Biljo/White Action 1 that he taped up. Looked real nice, except for the masking taped spine.  :tonofbricks:.

Pop Hollinger.

9 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

To quote an old EC phrase: "Good Lord!" 

I have used tape numerous times on early books that are a .5 Poor or 1.0 Fair (All Raw) to keep them from falling apart even more when handled.

Tape is not going to affect a book in this grade and I personally have no issue with it.

14 hours ago, marvelmaniac said:

I have used tape numerous times on early books that are a .5 Poor or 1.0 Fair (All Raw) to keep them from falling apart even more when handled.

Tape is not going to affect a book in this grade and I personally have no issue with it.

Tape is bad, no exceptions! 

14 hours ago, marvelmaniac said:

Shame on you! Tape erodes paper!