• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR (SPOILERS)
5 5

365 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

Tell him that the stucco is just a covering over the big bricks (cinder blocks) which are heavier than the old kind of little bricks, so you house is actually stronger...and show him a cinder block;)

That's too much for a 2-year old, so we just lie and tell him our house is brick.  :blush:  Something more detailed like that should work next year. 

Dang all they needed was a biologist to explain population curves to Thanos and how halving a population does nothing as it will regenerate in a few generations.  

On 5/15/2018 at 7:28 AM, fantastic_four said:

Can someone help me out with the lesson of the Three Little Pigs?  My 2-year old has been begging us for months now to move into a brick house so that the Big Bad Wolf doesn't blow our house down.  :ohnoez:

If I recall, the story mentions how the first two pigs were lazy and took the easier way out - building their houses out of sticks and straw - as compared to the third pig who built his house out of bricks, which required much more work.  So hard work pays off.  (Like the grasshopper and the ants)

Edited by Unca Ben

On 5/14/2018 at 3:37 PM, Chuck Gower said:

I know. I haven't been the same since Jim Shooter killed Ferro Lad in 1966.

On 5/15/2018 at 10:04 AM, Straw-Man said:

it took alot of professional therapy for me to get past that one.

Or when Chameleon Boy's pet, Proty, sacrificed his life to bring back the dead Lightening Lad - who had been previously killed off.  And later, Lightening Lad loses his arm to the Super Moby-Dick of space.  And Triplicate Girl became Duo Damsel.  :cry:
That young Jim Shooter sure knew how to shake things up.  Those early Legion stories were among my favorites at DC.  Things happened, just like at Marvel.

Edited by Unca Ben

4 hours ago, Unca Ben said:
On 5/15/2018 at 10:28 AM, fantastic_four said:

Can someone help me out with the lesson of the Three Little Pigs?  My 2-year old has been begging us for months now to move into a brick house so that the Big Bad Wolf doesn't blow our house down.  :ohnoez:

If I recall, the story mentions how the first two pigs were lazy and took the easier way out - building their houses out of sticks and straw - as compared to the third pig who built his house out of bricks, which required much more work.  So hard work pays off.  (Like the grasshopper and the ants)

Who's the Big Bad Wolf in that?  Nature?  Capitalism?  All the evil in the world?

On 5/15/2018 at 12:21 PM, awe4one said:

OK...we’re far enough in the Avengers Infinity War run that I’m going to give my theory on what happened. Stop here if you don’t want the movie spoiled....

When Iron Man and Spider-Man was trying to grab the Gauntlet off Thanos and Mantis couldn’t put Thanos to sleep, Starlord acted like a complete jerk trying to interrogate Thanos about the whereabouts of Gamora. My take?

Starlord was trying to distract Thanos while Stark replaced one of the stones, probably the Reality Stone, with a fake one; generated by Stark’s new nanotechnology armor. Thanos bailed quickly when Strange too easily just gave up his stone and immediately got in a fight to get Vision’s stone. When he got what he thought was the last stone, Thor went ballistic on him before Thanos snapped his fingers and half the universe died. Thanos then immediately bailed out. Thanos never realized he still didn’t have all the stones when he did the deed and Dr Strange conjured up a massive spell, with the help of the Reality stone, to make it look like all the heroes died. Thanos was tricked and all those who “died” are probably sitting in one of Strange’s dimensions before he brings them back. That’s what I think happened...

Very interesting theory. I thought you were going to refer to Stark''s simulated Virtual Reality hologram that he showcases in the opening of Civil War where he's young talking to his parents in a hologram on stage at MIT. maybe he could use that altered VR to trick Thanos in the next movie. 

8 hours ago, Unca Ben said:

Or when Chameleon Boy's pet, Proty, sacrificed his life to bring back the dead Lightening Lad - who had been previously killed off.  And later, Lightening Lad loses his arm to the Super Moby-Dick of space.  And Triplicate Girl became Duo Damsel.  :cry:
That young Jim Shooter sure knew how to shake things up.  Those early Legion stories were among my favorites at DC.  Things happened, just like at Marvel.

And I believe that post-Crisis, it was revealed that Proty took Garth's place, and Garth actually had died. Could be wrong about that, it's been a while.

19 hours ago, kav said:

Dang all they needed was a biologist to explain population curves to Thanos and how halving a population does nothing as it will regenerate in a few generations.  

It wasn't just the population reduction in Thanos' plan.  It was the "cataclysmic event" that generates a religion-level reminder forever. 

"Remember that time that God Thanos wanted to warn us about overpopulation and resource depletion? He killed everyone but one family in a boat half our planet.  We shouldn't anger him again."

13 minutes ago, valiantman said:

It wasn't just the population reduction in Thanos' plan.  It was the "cataclysmic event" that generates a religion-level reminder forever. 

"Remember that time that God Thanos wanted to warn us about overpopulation and resource depletion? He killed everyone but one family in a boat half our planet.  We shouldn't anger him again."

Then he should have stated that instead of blathering on about limited resources.  Plus he doesnt need to have to rely on people being afraid to anger him when he can accomplish whatever he wants by snapping his fingers.  

Edited by kav

1 minute ago, kav said:

Then he should have stated that instead of blathering on about limited resources.

True, but The Phantom Menace was a major box office smash because of the trade ship blockade, so you gotta pump the limited resources dialogue to ensure the big win. :kidaround:

On 5/14/2018 at 11:13 AM, Ares said:

Think of it.. most of the people dissolving have movies comming up..

Evans, Helmsorth, Downy want out and they all survived (Wink)

I have been thinking of it. :grin:

If everyone we saw dissolve actually survived and everyone who "survived" is actually now in the Soul Stone, then those who "think they survived" are probably wishing that they had been the ones who died after watching their friends die instead.  Once they find out that their friends are actually still alive (in the real world), they would be much more willing to sacrifice themselves if given the chance.  

Summary:  Everyone who dissolved is still alive in the "real world"... and everyone who "survived" is in the Soul Stone with the possibility of stopping Thanos (who is also in the Soul Stone).  Those who "survived" will stop Thanos by sacrificing themselves, knowing it is their choice and that the friends they "lost" (and had to watch dissolve away) will be alive and safe (again). 

I like it.

I had taken a break for a,long while from any more superhero films and most tv shows so IJust watched it for the first time (on Netflix)..  I could not believe they could integrate so many characters so successfully and tell a great story. The sequel will get me back into the theater!

9 minutes ago, PovertyRow said:

I had taken a break for a,long while from any more superhero films and most tv shows so IJust watched it for the first time (on Netflix)..  I could not believe they could integrate so many characters so successfully and tell a great story. The sequel will get me back into the theater!

Filmed entirely in I-MAX.

:whee:

4 hours ago, Gaard said:

I just rewatched IW last night. I may be late to the party, but has it been revealed why Hulk refused to 'show'?

Some have speculated it’s because actors often build-in minimum screen time requirements into their contracts, and being a CGI hulk doesn’t count towards that requirement...so they were forced to show more “actual” Mark Ruffalo.

Personally I think above is BS and it was simply a strategic plot device and we’ll be seeing hulk show himself at a pivotal moment in the next film...

1 hour ago, Callaway29 said:

Some have speculated it’s because actors often build-in minimum screen time requirements into their contracts, and being a CGI hulk doesn’t count towards that requirement...so they were forced to show more “actual” Mark Ruffalo.

Personally I think above is BS and it was simply a strategic plot device and we’ll be seeing hulk show himself at a pivotal moment in the next film...

BS? The Russo brothers tweeted they went over budget and decided to work Hulk into the next one. They would just fill in a sound story/reason why.  Look it up.