• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fake(?) FF #48 cover shows up at ECCC
4 4

162 posts in this topic

52 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Because Joe identified a few things that were wrong with artwork, therefore he did not sign

hm

What did he say was wrong with it? Maybe the paste ups are not original? 

Edited by PhilipB2k17

2 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Someone like that would definitely not try to PULL a fake, but, that's not to say that he couldn't have been the VICTIM of a fake.  

In light of Felix's recent podcast, is it possible that he saw that Sinnott was going to be at a nearby show and wanted Joe to try and authenticate some covers he owns? (shrug) 

This was my thought as well. He wanted it authenticated. 

14 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

hm

Hopefully the buyer did his due diligence before purchasing.  Nothing like being told by the original inker that some things aren't right.

It would be interesting to compare the "original art" with the printed cover.

I suppose that it wouldn't be the first time that original art did not match the printed cover due to 11th hour editorial changes...

Edited by pemart1966

16 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

Hopefully the buyer did his due diligence before purchasing.  Nothing like being told by the original inker that some things aren't right.

It would be interesting to compare the "original art" with the printed cover.

I suppose that it wouldn't be the first time that original art did not match the printed cover due to 11th hour editorial changes...

Maybe what was “wrong” with it was that it was stolen and Joe would not sign it on principle? 

27 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

hm

What artist wouldn't sign a piece they drew just because it has replacement stats??

If there are Marvel fakes of a caliber high enough to fool people who otherwise make big purchases like the unpublished FF 52 cover... 

9 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

What artist wouldn't sign a piece they drew just because it has replacement stats??

If there are Marvel fakes of a caliber high enough to fool people who otherwise make big purchases like the unpublished FF 52 cover... 

Well, we don’t know what Sinnott said was wrong with it. 

Edited by PhilipB2k17

21 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

We can't base the authenticity of the 48 on fooling the owner of the 52 --they are not owned by the same person.

20 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Well, we don’t know what Sinnott said was wrong with it. 

Please note this is second hand info that I am sharing from someone at the show:

In a nutshell, The work looked very amateurish, and Joe said it was clearly not his work. It looks like it was light boxed, badly inked, and with phoney coffee stains on it as they were too fresh for the age of the paper.

8 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Please note this is second hand info that I am sharing from someone at the show:

In a nutshell, The work looked very amateurish, and Joe said it was clearly not his work. It looks like it was light boxed, badly inked, and with phoney coffee stains on it as they were too fresh for the age of the paper.

:whatthe::whatthe::whatthe:

36 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Hope nobody paid $100K for that! ?

But, seriously. This may be why someone reached out to Felix about Mark Landis. 

Edited by PhilipB2k17

I updated my initial post and the thread title to reflect these recent posts.  Interestingly, what initially looked like a picture of someone admiring the #48 cover now may be someone trying to see how the cover could be a fake.  And the 2nd pic of Joe holding the unused #52 cover could be of him holding up his finger and noting "now this one is real."

Edited by dem1138

2 hours ago, delekkerste said:

People have been forging Old Masters, Impressionists, etc etc for decades and rather successfully in some cases.  As the prices for comic art rises how long can it be before the forgers find there way in?

I was just at the East Coast Comic Con in NJ.  I got there later in the day so I missed the excitement.  If someone had called me, I would have tracked the guy down.  After all, how many guys can there possibly be wearing a Captain America cap at a comic show?  Lol.

The cheap b*st*rd can't afford a $5 mylar sleeve?

Cheers!

N

Edited by NelsonAI
misc.

3 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Well I guess the 52 cover is worth more afteralll ! 

11 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Someone like that would definitely not try to PULL a fake, but, that's not to say that he couldn't have been the VICTIM of a fake.  

When I was in London recently and met up with some Boardies, the question of forgeries was raised with the prominent OA collector in the group.  His answer was that the provenance of every significant piece of OA was so well known that no forged piece could possibly be foisted on the market, at least not amongst the cognoscenti.

I admire anyone who is able to have that degree of certainty about anything in life.