• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fake(?) FF #48 cover shows up at ECCC
4 4

162 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Pencil only vs inks over blueline or digital only?  No thanks, I’ll pass.

There are plenty of modern artists who still do things the traditional way. In fact, I think that number is increasing because of how much money they can make selling their original art. Now, you will have to sacrifice the word balloons, in the vast majority of cases.

1 hour ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Pencil only vs inks over blueline or digital only?  No thanks, I’ll pass.

I used to feel the same way. It's really just a mental hurdle though. No different than trying to ignore those horrible arms on the Jones piece you like in the other thread. Mostly a case of allowing yourself to be bothered by it, or not.

12 minutes ago, vodou said:

I used to feel the same way. It's really just a mental hurdle though. No different than trying to ignore those horrible arms on the Jones piece you like in the other thread. Mostly a case of allowing yourself to be bothered by it, or not.

I think it just effects the price. If it's a blue line by a prominent artist, inked by someone else, then you don't pay premium "penciled by..." prices for that art. You downgrade it accordingly.

I consider blue line art inked by the same artist to be no different than art penciled and inked by the same artist. The pencils are almost invariably erased anyway.

The guy in the pic posing with Joe Sinnott with the 2 legit Kirby art is a long time collector and a member of these boards.  As such, he can identify himself should he desire. 

Cheers!

N.

Hint for all you junior detectives out there .....

He will be at the NYC Comic Art Expo. 

:whatthe:

Off Topic:

Yoram

PM me buddy.

Edited by NelsonAI
typos

20 hours ago, NelsonAI said:

The guy in the pic posing with Joe Sinnott with the 2 legit Kirby art is a long time collector and a member of these boards.  As such, he can identify himself should he desire. 

Cheers!

N.

Hint for all you junior detectives out there .....

He will be at the NYC Comic Art Expo. 

:whatthe:

Off Topic:

Yoram

PM me buddy.

why would he not id himself?

On 4/30/2018 at 5:31 PM, Bill C said:

My silver age Flash splash has a fake copy out there- and it has an Infantino signature on it.

I don't think the signature itself was fake, as I saw a pictiure of Carmine with the false splash.

I saw a camera picture of it at an angle (like this FF 48 pic). It looked very real to me there. That said, when I was sent more detailed pictures it definitely didn't pass the smell test.

My heart sank for a short bit before I sorted through the confusion and realized there were two of these splashes out there- for a moment I thought "Man, Carmine actually kind of sucks. Why did I like his work so much?", lol. I thought my childhood was a lie.

At any rate, I managed to avoid catching the hot potato. Last I heard it was in the hands of a bigger name comic dealer who came off as somewhat unhinged- he claimed the fake was worth thousands- doesn't matter if it was copied/drawn by the DC offices cleaning lady back then- long as it was done in 1964 it was basically vintage. lol.

I saw that when it was on ebay.  Seller was CONVINCED it was a page Infantino, the inker and letterers had meticulously recreated FOR SOME REASON.  I tried to point out there was absolutely no need to waste so much valuable time doing this when they had plenty of pages to give away.  I also pointed out the lettering was very crooked and amateurish, and there would be no reason for professional letterers armed with an Ames guide to do such a cruddy job. He just wouldnt listen.

3 hours ago, kav said:

I saw that when it was on ebay.  Seller was CONVINCED it was a page Infantino, the inker and letterers had meticulously recreated FOR SOME REASON.  I tried to point out there was absolutely no need to waste so much valuable time doing this when they had plenty of pages to give away.  I also pointed out the lettering was very crooked and amateurish, and there would be no reason for professional letterers armed with an Ames guide to do such a cruddy job. He just wouldnt listen.

His rebuttal to all this was "Look this was just done as a fun contest"  I told him painstakingly copying every line is the opposite of fun.  Its a ton of work folks.  I do cover recreations and do my best-it takes forever-but never to the level of this fake piece.  Every single shading line was meticulously copied.  Brush width was attempted to be exactly the same.  Very difficult.  I'm sure Infantino would think nothing of wasting his time doing something like that then getting the inker etc to go along  lol 

"Let's see DC editors-I know I have deadlines, but I'll spend a week meticulously recreating a page for SOME REASON.  Sure no problem.  It's "FUN">\

Not to mention nowhere could he find any mention of this so-called contest anywhere.

Here DC has tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands, of pages lying around to give away but no they have to recreate THIS page for SOME REASON.

Look you got burned on a fake-THE END.

Edited by kav

No one wants to get burned by a fake.  With OA prices escalating, more forgeries will pop up in the future.

I personally would spend a few bucks for a professional evaluation from someone like Robert Dennis or Susan Ciccone before making a big purchase.  hm

1 hour ago, Bill C said:

Yeah, the owner added a pretty irrational (I'm being nice here) rant to the ebay listing about me and about how the piece was legit. His logic was, IMO, highly flawed.

I could have sworn I saved his entertaining rant in a word document but can not at this time find it.

Infantino signed the, ahem, "alternate" version.

I actually found a couple pictures of the fake. I'll attach them here. I thought I tossed these long ago. Once I saw these pictures, it was very clear the piece wasn't the published one. Prior to this, I only saw images of the art far away (in Infantino's hands).

Accept no substitutes kids!

147 2.jpg

147 3.jpg

So glad you saved that for memory lane.  The lettering is not awful, but it's sub-par and does not match up line for line with the actual printed page.  The detail in the rocks at top, for instance could not of course be emulated perfectly so it fell apart upon examination.  His rant on ebay was epic and every couple days he would add "NEW INFORMATION ON THIS PIECE!!"  I messaged him several times and I felt bad for the guy-he was obviously very depressed about buying it and holding on to any tiny shred of hope that Infantino drew it-he gave up on the it was an original page due to many discrepencies and was latching on to "Infantino recreated it-for a 'fun contest' -for SOME REASON.

Ps Bill are you saying you saw Infantino holding the fake page and stating nope I didnt draw this wtf?

Edited by kav

Compare Reverse Flash's eyes and the hyphen distance in "Reverse - Flash" in his word balloon for a quick 'nope'.

Edited by kav

What kind of board is the splash drawn on? If there is no specific marking(s), perhaps that makes the splash a forgery target.  Usually, even the best imitation artist can’t replicate the vintage art board marks (Curtiss, World Color, DC cover stock).  Any thoughts?