• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fake(?) FF #48 cover shows up at ECCC
4 4

162 posts in this topic

26 minutes ago, Bill C said:

My silver age Flash splash has a fake copy out there- and it has an Infantino signature on it.

I don't think the signature itself was fake, as I saw a pictiure of Carmine with the false splash.

I saw a camera picture of it at an angle (like this FF 48 pic). It looked very real to me there. That said, when I was sent more detailed pictures it definitely didn't pass the smell test.

My heart sank for a short bit before I sorted through the confusion and realized there were two of these splashes out there- for a moment I thought "Man, Carmine actually kind of sucks. Why did I like his work so much?", lol. I thought my childhood was a lie.

At any rate, I managed to avoid catching the hot potato. Last I heard it was in the hands of a bigger name comic dealer who came off as somewhat unhinged- he claimed the fake was worth thousands- doesn't matter if it was copied/drawn by the DC offices cleaning lady back then- long as it was done in 1964 it was basically vintage. lol.

Interesting. Is this the case of an aspiring comic artist copying the splash way back and it somehow making it's way into the hobby, later to be signed in error by Carmine? Or something much darker?

1 hour ago, Mmehdy said:

how does this impact the issue of the FF 48 cover?

It's signed by Kirby, says Curtiss Way, which implies it was printed, and looks great.  Except, it wasn't published. 

32 minutes ago, jaybuck43 said:

It's signed by Kirby, says Curtiss Way, which implies it was printed, and looks great.  Except, it wasn't published. 

Is it original art though?

3 hours ago, MarvelComicsArt said:

Unfortunately at some point Roz was signing as well... she would say leave it here and come back in a half an hour ... than she would sign whatever was there.

So who knows who even signed what these days?

Years ago I asked Jack to sign a piece of FF art at a con.  Roz comes over and says that Jack won't sign it because the art is "stolen".  Talk about the pot calling the kettle black...

One reason you could see some of these covers come out in the next couple of years (if they do still exist) is that the opportunity for one of the artists who worked on them to “authenticate” the art will soon pass. 

There is one universal truth in this world. If there is money to be made doing something, someone will do it. Doesn’t matter what it is. People that think something can’t be done are always wrong. Everything is possible to do, especially in terms of forging items. It is just a cost versus reward analysis. 

19 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

The FF 48 cover could be a one off and if it was done with "intent to deceive" he wouldn't be easily contactable.

There is an artist named Bruce McCorkindale - some of his works have been posted in CAF.  Seems he's reproduced a number of vintage Marvel covers as commissions. I've never seen one in person so I don't know with what materials he works.  His works are indicated as reproductions by gallery members.  

I am not saying or implying that Bruce is trying or may try to con people.  The point is that HIS works looks pretty good so it's not beyond the realm of imagination or possibility that someone devious with similar talents could try his hand at a con.

I saw on CAF a few days ago that Randy Martin had recreated my Alien Worlds #2 cover for someone and was struck by how close it was to the original.  Back in my early days of collecting, I had a splash from my favorite CrossGen series (Sojourn) recreated; it was super detailed and yet every single line that should have been there was (obviously a lightbox was used); it wasn't even inked by the original inker either.  I think a lot of 1980s-present art wouldn't be overly difficult to fake in the hands of a skilled artist, scary to say.    

25 minutes ago, Pete Marino said:

There's a clearer picture of the art in question in this post:

Interesting.  The person in the picture with the 2 FF covers is a known entity in the hobby and I guess he owns both.

Knowing that the FF #48 might be a fake certainly retroactively makes me suspect.  I will say that the inking on the Watcher's head doesn't look right to me, though its impossible to look at it objectively now.

I love how nobody that was there, no primaries, are commenting here. Maybe it's nothing, or...? Wonder if -assuming the FF 48 cover is 'bad'- it will go back to where it came from or lawyers will get involved and it will become a more public matter.

25 minutes ago, dem1138 said:

Interesting.  The person in the picture with the 2 FF covers is a known entity in the hobby and I guess he owns both.

Knowing that the FF #48 might be a fake certainly retroactively makes me suspect.  I will say that the inking on the Watcher's head doesn't look right to me, though its impossible to look at it objectively now.

So exactly who is the known entity in this picture with Joe?  I haven’t met him and would like to know who he is, and I’m certain that others reading this thread would like to know, too.  ???

2 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

One reason you could see some of these covers come out in the next couple of years (if they do still exist) is that the opportunity for one of the artists who worked on them to “authenticate” the art will soon pass. 

I didn't realize published pages need to be authenticated by the artist.

Malvin