• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SILVER SURFER #44 Any legs? Buy or sell?

20 posts in this topic

With the success of AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR do you think SILVER SURFER #44 (1st Infinity Gauntlet and return of Thanos) have any investment potential. It's still relatively cheap. What do you think long term potential is? Continue up wards or crash and burn?

SS 34 is the return of Thanos, not 44, so it's not a two-for-one key. I really like that issue (34) and keep meaning to grab another 9.8 as I sold mine a few years back. Marvel really pumped Thanos/Starlin's return back in the day (even though I had no clue who Thanos was since I wasn't reading that stuff in the 70's, they really had a lot of fanfare behind it so I took notice) and it really was the catalyst for a huge, far-reaching series of events. The more recent push behind 44 had certainly struck me as unusual, but maybe it's just sour grapes since I had all those SS issues and got rid of them years back (except 34 and a few others). 1st appearance of a thing just doesn't seem like it should be this big of a deal in my mind and back when all the Infinity stuff was going on (90's), this book had absolutely no interest whatsoever from what I recall. I read SS through most of the 90's and that issue just kinda meshed in with the rest of the ongoing Thanos build-up which took place over a year or two (of course, 50 was the pinnacle and now that one isn't worth much). 44 is kinda cool, don't get me wrong, and certainly it flew under the radar for years which is, I think, what's driven most of its value because many stockpiled 34 and 50 while 44 went in with the rejects. I'm just not a buyer as the book, to me, seems overvalued already and certainly once the movie hype hits a lull it could see a pretty decent drop. I could be wrong, no doubt, but I'm mainly looking at it from the point of view of a fan of SS in the late 80's into the 90's who just doesn't think this issue was all that big of a deal.

18 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

SS 34 is the return of Thanos, not 44, so it's not a two-for-one key. I really like that issue (34) and keep meaning to grab another 9.8 as I sold mine a few years back. Marvel really pumped Thanos/Starlin's return back in the day (even though I had no clue who Thanos was since I wasn't reading that stuff in the 70's, they really had a lot of fanfare behind it so I took notice) and it really was the catalyst for a huge, far-reaching series of events. The more recent push behind 44 had certainly struck me as unusual, but maybe it's just sour grapes since I had all those SS issues and got rid of them years back (except 34 and a few others). 1st appearance of a thing just doesn't seem like it should be this big of a deal in my mind and back when all the Infinity stuff was going on (90's), this book had absolutely no interest whatsoever from what I recall. I read SS through most of the 90's and that issue just kinda meshed in with the rest of the ongoing Thanos build-up which took place over a year or two (of course, 50 was the pinnacle and now that one isn't worth much). 44 is kinda cool, don't get me wrong, and certainly it flew under the radar for years which is, I think, what's driven most of its value because many stockpiled 34 and 50 while 44 went in with the rejects. I'm just not a buyer as the book, to me, seems overvalued already and certainly once the movie hype hits a lull it could see a pretty decent drop. I could be wrong, no doubt, but I'm mainly looking at it from the point of view of a fan of SS in the late 80's into the 90's who just doesn't think this issue was all that big of a deal.

Not one of your better posts . . . :baiting:

After the Infinity Guantlet movie is done I envision a huge correction on SS 44.  I can’t see people in a couple years clambering to pay premium prices for the 1st gauntlet.  It’s a cool cover so it’s got that going for it but not else.

Yeah, I don't get the 44 being bigger than 34, I think 34 is the more significant starting point as the Thanos rebirth goes. When 44 started to take off and people were more "meh" to 34, it was a head-scratcher for me. IMO, I don't see a lot of space for growth left for 44, but it does have momentum to sustain I supposed.

#34 seems to have better activity. With the 2nd movie in the future, these issues will probably climb a little, flatline, and then possibly drop. Picking them up now may gain some $$ and probably selling them right before the next movie comes out will be your best bet. After that, they'll probably come down. These issues have been steady for a long time and haven't moved much. Infinity Gauntlet 1-6 is where I saw the most activity.

On 4/28/2018 at 6:27 AM, Dogsupreme said:

With the success of AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR do you think SILVER SURFER #44 (1st Infinity Gauntlet and return of Thanos) have any investment potential. It's still relatively cheap. What do you think long term potential is? Continue up wards or crash and burn?

I certainly hope it continues to move upwards or else we'll never be able to recoup our original cover purchase cost.  :wishluck:

Well, at least far enough upwards to make it worthwhile to take a chance on slabbing it and making some reasonable money after factoring in grading fees, shipping fees, CGC's grading margin of error, and what have you.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

On 4/29/2018 at 7:30 AM, jcjames said:

Yeah, I don't get the 44 being bigger than 34, I think 34 is the more significant starting point as the Thanos rebirth goes. When 44 started to take off and people were more "meh" to 34, it was a head-scratcher for me.

Well, maybe it's got something to do with the cover, as the cover image for SS 44 is far more striking than the one for SS 34.

Although both of them are infinitely better than that rather lacklustre Thanos cover on the Hero Edition of this year's Overstreet Price Guide.  :p

On 5/4/2018 at 5:58 PM, jcjames said:

I actually like the cover for 34 more than 44. IMO, better color contrast with darker green cosmic background, more classic Thanos grin on 34 - just more aesthetic IMO.

It's a fantastic piece of art.

On 5/5/2018 at 4:24 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

Oddly enough, Thanos only appears at the end of the last page of #34.

Not quite true, except in body. Regardless, the whole story is about his return. Thanos didn't suddenly appear out of nowhere at the end of an unrelated story.

By the way...SS #34 is the first appearance of Thanos in the Marvel U as a current character (rather than as a flashback) since Spidey Super Stories #39 from 1979.

Spidey Super Stories is watered-down, non-canonical junk, not Marvel Universe.

The character disappeared for the entire 80's, other than in flashbacks and reprints (Death of Cap Marvel, Handbook of the Marvel U, etc.)

How a character so damn cool could disappear for so long at MARVEL is mind boggling. To be fair, the original incarnation of Thanos was pretty two-dimensional and cookie cutter, but the Thanos that Starlin re-imagined in SS, Thanos Quest, Infinity Gauntlet...that was a character to be reckoned with.

SS #34-50, Thanos Quest #1-2, and IG #1-6 are about as "perfect" a story arc as it gets in comics. It's criminal how little that SS run is respected. And with Ron Lim art to boot!

Other than a few of those SS 34-50 issues being filler, (thumbsu

35 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:
On 5/5/2018 at 2:24 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

Oddly enough, Thanos only appears at the end of the last page of #34.

Not quite true, except in body. Regardless, the whole story is about his return. Thanos didn't suddenly appear out of nowhere at the end of an unrelated story.

No argument there, but that's not what I said, smarty pants. :D

35 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

By the way...SS #34 is the first appearance of Thanos in the Marvel U as a current character (rather than as a flashback) since Spidey Super Stories #39 from 1979.

Spidey Super Stories is watered-down, non-canonical junk, not Marvel Universe.

Ball buster. Fine, then his last canonical appearance...Marvel Two In One Annual #2...is even earlier.

36 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

The character disappeared for the entire 80's, other than in flashbacks and reprints (Death of Cap Marvel, Handbook of the Marvel U, etc.)

How a character so damn cool could disappear for so long at MARVEL is mind boggling. To be fair, the original incarnation of Thanos was pretty two-dimensional and cookie cutter, but the Thanos that Starlin re-imagined in SS, Thanos Quest, Infinity Gauntlet...that was a character to be reckoned with.

SS #34-50, Thanos Quest #1-2, and IG #1-6 are about as "perfect" a story arc as it gets in comics. It's criminal how little that SS run is respected. And with Ron Lim art to boot!

Other than a few of those SS 34-50 issues being filler, (thumbsu

Pedantist! Yes, #39 is totally unrelated, but #40-#43, the story about Dynamo City, is still part of the larger narrative.

So there.

7 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

Ron Lim, IMO, doesn’t get the credit he deserves.  He was a really good artist and was more than up to the task finishing IG for Perez.  Although, the OA market has been turning for him in the past year or so.

I just made that remark at my LCS when I picked up two Conan issues he worked on.  His smooth line was great for those Silver Surfer issues.  My favorite from him was always the Streets of Poison story arc from Captain America.  Come to think of it, he was able to churn out a lot of work in the late eighties and early nineties.