• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Camp Comics #2 - What's the difference?
1 1

4 posts in this topic

So after a few beers I decided to bid on (and win) this Camp Comics #2 - 5.0 from Comiclink :banana:. I had not even noticed that it was listed as the highest graded copy until later, and It's not really important to me anyway.

Today I was looking at my Email from Heritage showing me my watch list and I saw this 9.4 on my list. My first reaction was "how can this be?" But after checking the census and looking a little closer I realized that one

is published by Dell and one by K.K.publications both on 3/42. Both are listed separately in the census so I guess technically the 5.0 being the highest graded is true. I found another raw copy previously sold on Heritage as a K.K. copy

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/miscellaneous/camp-comics-2-k-k-publications-1942-condition-nm-while-this-is-the-only-one-of-the-three-issues-that-overstreet-doesn-t/a/752-50146.s?ic3=ViewItem-Auction-Archive-ThisAuction-120115

and see that both the Dell and K.K. published books have the same back cover and it seems they both have the same content according to the listing descriptions.

Can anyone tell me the difference?(shrug)  I did find some info here about K.K. Publishing and Dell https://www.comics.org/publisher/286/

It's still not clear though and I figured one of the very knowledgeable boardies might have an answer for me . Hopefully I'll learn something today.

Thanks

-Brian

Camp comics #2 KK.jpg

camp #2 Dell.jpe

32 minutes ago, BriD. said:

published by Dell and one by K.K.publications both on 3/42.

Not seeing the indicia or other notation inside the book, it's hard to tell. But, my first reaction is that this might be a CGC mistake and that when recording the book, it got listed as Dell Publishing by accident (as alluded in the GCD write-up, since K.K.'s publications ended bearing the Dell logo in 1948, folks have (mistakenly) labeled earlier K.K. publications as Dell publishing as I think that's what's happened here). K.K.'s books are Western books, not Dell books. Western published not only Dell books but also some of its own books (the intent here is that in order to remain a competitive and informed packager, they would publish some books on their own to have a better understanding of the market, making them a better packager). The two companies ended working so closely later on that they let the line blend which further confuse people.

I was thinking the same thing. It occurred to me that since CGC has them listed separately on the census that someone there might know. But then based on the GCD info I figured that anyone submitting this book for grading could probably pick either publisher on the submission form and be correct.

Which also means that if someone wanted to, they could crack and resubmit a higher than 5.0 graded Dell copy and call it a K.K.copy and bam! instant highest graded copy (assuming it gets the same grade)

Honestly I feel that if I were to sell the 5.0 copy here on the boards and tried to call it a highest graded copy without knowing the difference, it would get called out as BS. I'm not saying Comiclink did anything wrong by listing it that way and again I don't care. But people here are smart and would certainly question it.

19 hours ago, BriD. said:

I was thinking the same thing. It occurred to me that since CGC has them listed separately on the census that someone there might know. But then based on the GCD info I figured that anyone submitting this book for grading could probably pick either publisher on the submission form and be correct.

Which also means that if someone wanted to, they could crack and resubmit a higher than 5.0 graded Dell copy and call it a K.K.copy and bam! instant highest graded copy (assuming it gets the same grade)

Honestly I feel that if I were to sell the 5.0 copy here on the boards and tried to call it a highest graded copy without knowing the difference, it would get called out as BS. I'm not saying Comiclink did anything wrong by listing it that way and again I don't care. But people here are smart and would certainly question it.

I just submitted a copy a couple of weeks ago.  Looks like I put Dell down as the publisher.  It wasn't my impression that CGC automatically followed what you write on the submission form.  They certainly don't with respect to pedigree claims, where I have had to debate them about some submissions.  I would expect that someone checks the publisher and date to see if you have entered them with what they believe to be the correct info.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of glitches in the census.  I keep hoping that they'll open a thread in the "Ask CGC" forum that would allow people to make points like the one you've made, so that CGC can make corrections.