• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need advice on a sale that is going sideways
7 7

573 posts in this topic

I recently sold about 35 books to a boardie who was buying them for a friend. He did his friend a favour. The boardie paid me and then his friend was going to reimburse him after he receives the books from the boardie. It took me quite a while to properly grade and price each book and then send multiple scans of the higher grade books so that the boardie could verify my grading. I’m a pretty good grader and he was happy with them. We then agreed on a price, meaning the boardie’s friend accepted the price. I packed them all up and sent them out after receiving the payment from the boardie. (I didn’t ask for friends and family even though I gave him a very good deal). I got an email from the boardie saying that the books were delivered safe and sound but now his friend wants to back out of the sale. The friend won’t pay the boardie and the boardie wants to return the books to me for a refund. The boardie has the box and it is unopened and says if his friend won’t pay him, he will take the box to the post office and refuse it ( I’m in Canada and not sure if you can even do this as I’m unaware of how USPS works). I feel bad for the boardie and I’m not sure how to handle it. We never discussed returns as he was happy with the books from the scans. I already have committed the funds to purchase other books so I’m torn over what to do. Advice would be appreciated. I have never had this happen before and want to try and be as fair as I can be.

Edited by Jordysnordy

8 minutes ago, comicquant said:

I’ve done more transactions with you than anyone else on the boards and know you are more than fair.  Its an unspoken rule having cold feet is never a reason to back out of a transaction.  The boardie who accepted the responsibilty of being the broker should also be responsible for the buyer backing out.  This should be on their hands, not yours.  Sorry Jeff, this is very unfortunate and I hope the boardie does the right thing.

Agreed.  Boardie was probably making a couple bucks serving as the middle man, so the onus is on boardie to deal with third party “friend”.  You upheld your part of the agreement.

33 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Agreed.  Boardie was probably making a couple bucks serving as the middle man, so the onus is on boardie to deal with third party “friend”.  You upheld your part of the agreement.

Yes, but nonetheless, he's left holding the bag.

1 hour ago, Jordysnordy said:

I recently sold about 35 books to a boardie who was buying them for a friend. He did his friend a favour. The boardie paid me and then his friend was going to reimburse him after he receives the books from the boardie. It took me quite a while to properly grade and price each book and then send multiple scans of the higher grade books so that the boardie could verify my grading. I’m a pretty good grader and he was happy with them. We then agreed on a price, meaning the boardie’s friend accepted the price. I packed them all up and sent them out after receiving the payment from the boardie. (I didn’t ask for friends and family even though I gave him a very good deal). I got an email from the boardie saying that the books were delivered safe and sound but now his friend wants to back out of the sale. The friend won’t pay the boardie and the boardie wants to return the books to me for a refund. The boardie has the box and it is unopened and says if his friend won’t pay him, he will take the box to the post office and refuse it ( I’m in Canada and not sure if you can even do this as I’m unaware of how USPS works). I feel bad for the boardie and I’m not sure how to handle it. We never discussed returns as he was happy with the books from the scans. I already have committed the funds to purchase other books so I’m torn over what to do. Advice would be appreciated. I have never had this happen before and want to try and be as fair as I can be.

The books are delivered. I imagine that would mean the same thing in Canada as it does in the US; that the parcel was accepted and signed for. After that phase of delivery occurs, I've never heard of a recipient being able to "un-deliver" the package, in essence, repatriate the package back to the post office, which is a refusal of delivery. Once a package has been accepted by the recipient, the delivery completed, can the parcel be brought back to the post office and refused? If so, it's totally new on me, I've never heard of that one before.

Take the books back, refund the boardie) and let us know the name of the boardie so he can provide his side of the story and let us decide whether we wish to transact with him going forward.

you might also wish to let us know the title, conditions and prices - someone else might wish to pick up the books.

2 hours ago, wombat said:

Boardie took on the risk, not you. He should have gotten payment first and then paid you. This is 100% on him. And then to say he is just going to refuse the package? Sounds like someone you certainly shouldn't be feeling sorry for. 

I'm not sure I understand. As written, the package has been accepted. How does one now un-accept the parcel. I wasn't aware that you can bring a parcel back to the post office and refuse delivery, giving it back to them. I was under the assumption that once it's in your possession, either picked up at the post office or had it handed to you by a carrier, that you couldn't refuse it later on.

Agreed, to me this is 100% on the boardie. When you “buy for a friend”, the favor you’re doing isn’t just that you’re using your board account to facilitate the transaction, you’re essentially buying the books for him (using your own board reputation) and then “on-selling” the books to the friend. Once the deal has been agreed, the boardie should be taking the risk. The fact that books were already delivered doubly so. 

Sucks for the boardie, but that’s on him for agreeing to do this for a (imo) crappy friend. No way this should be on you to take books back - even if they’ll refund you all shipping costs, there’s risk books could be damaged, etc. 

6 hours ago, Alf Pogs said:

Wacky! What books and how much $$$$?

Overstreet has them valued at about $1300.00 and I let them go for $675.00 shipped. Shipping cost me $45.00 and PayPal took $25.00 so it was a very good deal for him.

Edited by Jordysnordy

5 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Yes, but nonetheless, he's left holding the bag.

The books are delivered. I imagine that would mean the same thing in Canada as it does in the US; that the parcel was accepted and signed for. After that phase of delivery occurs, I've never heard of a recipient being able to "un-deliver" the package, in essence, repatriate the package back to the post office, which is a refusal of delivery. Once a package has been accepted by the recipient, the delivery completed, can the parcel be brought back to the post office and refused? If so, it's totally new on me, I've never heard of that one before.

He says it was left outside his apartment by the postman. He has not opened it and says he will return it to the post office and refuse the delivery. Assuming this can be done, I am wondering if he can then open a PayPal claim against me. I’m not sure how this works or how the PayPal claim would go....

5 hours ago, wombat said:

Boardie took on the risk, not you. He should have gotten payment first and then paid you. This is 100% on him. And then to say he is just going to refuse the package? Sounds like someone you certainly shouldn't be feeling sorry for. 

The boardie paid for the books and I shipped them to the boardie because his friend couldn’t afford the books now and didn’t want his wife knowing about it. 

3 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

I'm not sure I understand. As written, the package has been accepted. How does one now un-accept the parcel. I wasn't aware that you can bring a parcel back to the post office and refuse delivery, giving it back to them. I was under the assumption that once it's in your possession, either picked up at the post office or had it handed to you by a carrier, that you couldn't refuse it later on.

I also assumed his but maybe I’m wrong. He’s claiming the box was left at this apartment and is unopened so he can return and refuse it.

Anyone work for the USPS? I have all of our PMs in case he does open a PayPal claim but who knows how that will turn out for me? 

21 minutes ago, Jordysnordy said:

I also assumed his but maybe I’m wrong. He’s claiming the box was left at this apartment and is unopened so he can return and refuse it.

Anyone work for the USPS? I have all of our PMs in case he does open a PayPal claim but who knows how that will turn out for me? 

What a disaster.  Just try to work it out with the boardie.  If he/she doesn't want to make it right, bite the bullet and take it back.  Then let us know who it is. 

Only thing going against you is paypal.  I've only opened 1 dispute in paypal which was clearly in my favor.  Not sure how they will land on this or if their like ebay always siding with the buyer.  

I have given mail that was delivered to the wrong address back to the post office.  Not sure that would work in this case though.  Personally as long as he covers ALL paypal and shipping fees i would just take them back.  

1 hour ago, Jordysnordy said:

didn’t want his wife knowing about it. 

Ridiculous.

Sorry this happened to you.  You were doing someone a favor and it went south.  Maybe I missed it but just to be clear, the person who “couldn’t afford them” is not a board member?

1 hour ago, Wolverinex said:

What a disaster.  Just try to work it out with the boardie.  If he/she doesn't want to make it right, bite the bullet and take it back.  Then let us know who it is. 

+10

You fulfilled every requirement of your end of  the transaction, so you shouldn't end up being the one that gets screwed.

If the buyer jumped the gun before getting assurances that his buddy wanted the books, that's on him.

Sounds like with a little effort he can sell the books and break even (if you sold them for 1/2 market, he should be able to get that and more on ebay).

He (the boardie buying for a friend) made the mistake, he should have to deal with the consequences.

One compromise solution is you agree to take the books back and sell them again, but he doesn't get his $$ back until they sell. And if they sell for less than the original sale price, the boardie buyer eats the difference (again since this was his fault)