• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need advice on a sale that is going sideways
7 7

573 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, NoMan said:

“This is the last thing I need right now.”

what I read in that response is: ME, ME, ME, ME, ME, ME, ME. 

'There's no point discussing a normal return scenario for someone unhappy with their books, as we both know this ain't that. This is pretty straightforward, so we don't need to muddy it up with' what ifs'. 

His wife isn't my problem. My problem is getting you the books sent in good order, which I have done. 

From here it's between you and your friend, as to whether he pays you back or not for the cost of the books. That's none of my business, though. My business is getting paid for the books sent. It really is that simple. '

I don't understand one aspect of this transaction. The sale was for $675. Did the seller send the package with signature confirmation?

If it was signed for, the buyer can't 'refuse delivery' ex post facto.

If it doesn't have a signature, the seller will lose a Paypal dispute.

If the seller shipped to an address other than the payee's address, the seller will lose a Paypal dispute.

Paypal rules

11 hours ago, Jordysnordy said:

To be honest we never discussed returns so some of this may be on me. I sent scans of all of the higher grade books and he asked for another scan which I also provided. I’m a pretty good grader and after they both saw the scans, everything was agreed on. I even told them to check my Kudos thread to see that I am actually a good grader and great packer.

Unfortunately, this is one of those scenarios where we almost always have to learn "the hard way" ....that's how I arrived at my policy for this.... certainly not from any innate wisdom on my part lol GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

56 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I always thought third party sales are frowned upon ? I remember once being contacted by a dealer about some early Brave and Bold comics. While I was still mulling over them, I went to a local convention and the same books were on another dealer's wall. I mentioned to the dealer at the con that I was just offered these books from the other dealer. He was mad,mad,mad. He said that was unethical and frowned upon.

The more I think about this current situation, it doesn't make sense. Why would the Boardie need to broker the deal for his friend by paying from his own pocket ? Why not have his friend pay Jordysnordy directly and have the books shipped directly to him. It's pretty obvious the Boardie was taking a middle man cut and something went amiss. This is backing out of a purchase, plain and simple.

@Bomber-Bob looks like you may be right. He offered to keep them and sell them on his own if I agree to take another $100.00 off.

Here is what I replied back.

065A8B02-55A6-41F6-B4BE-1DF23215F031.png

E60D3B6F-7CE3-4A0B-8C03-C64D1CC3E7D4.png

Edited by Jordysnordy

That's some straight up nonsense right there, and I think the honest boardies here deserve some protection from dealing with this person in the future i.e. tell us who this is immediately so I can strike them off my list of people to deal with around here. 

WTF scam artist is a scam artist.

Returns are ALWAYS made first.... then the refund comes ...... anything other than that would raise serious flags for me as well. The only time I would deviate would be if I missed a major flaw on a less expensive book and decided to tell the buyer to just keep the book and give them a refund also. GOD BLESS....

..jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

A couple of observations:

1. Don't use Paypal unethically by accepting "Friends and Family" for transactions. That is stealing from Paypal by using their services but not paying for them.

If you won't behave ethically, you lose the moral high ground in a dispute.

2. According to the Domestic Mail Manual...the ONLY word that matters where the USPS is concerned...the rules for refusing mail are as follows:

Section 508: Recipient Services
1.1.3 Refusal After Delivery

After delivery, an addressee may mark a mailpiece “Refused” and return it within a reasonable time, if the piece or any attachment is not opened. Mail that may not be refused and returned unopened under this provision may be returned to the sender only if it is enclosed in a new envelope or wrapper with a correct address and new postage. The following may not be refused and returned postage-free after delivery:

1. Pieces sent as Registered Mail, insured, Certified Mail, collect on delivery (COD), Adult Signature and return receipt for merchandise
  2. Response mail to the addressee’s sales promotion, solicitation, announcement, or other advertisement that was not refused when offered to the addressee.

(emphasis added.)

subsections 1 and 2 don't apply, so items may be refused within a reasonable time (which is purposely vague), so long as the package is NOT OPENED.

How can you tell if the package has been opened...? Gooood question.

But the "buyer" can refuse it, unfortunately, if it has been unopened, even if they initially accepted it.

I find it interesting that INSURED mail CANNOT be refused. Was your package insured...? If so, it cannot be refused.

The answer is to accept the return, DO NOT REFUND until the books are in hand, OUT this board member, nominate for the PL, and be done with it.

1 hour ago, speedcake said:

That's some straight up nonsense right there, and I think the honest boardies here deserve some protection from dealing with this person in the future i.e. tell us who this is immediately so I can strike them off my list of people to deal with around here. 

WTF scam artist is a scam artist.

+1

7 hours ago, wombat said:

Good lord. Just out this thief now. It couldn't be any clearer now what is happening. And for the love of god do not send this clown his money back before you get the books. 

He doesn’t trust ME to refund him so he doesn’t want to send the books to Randall. He says he will have no PP protection if he sends them to anyone but me.  Yet another boardie has stepped up and he is going to PM the boardie. They have done some deals in the past so maybe he will listen to reason. Update later.

8 hours ago, Jordysnordy said:

065A8B02-55A6-41F6-B4BE-1DF23215F031.png

E60D3B6F-7CE3-4A0B-8C03-C64D1CC3E7D4.png

This is the goofiest BS I've ever seen Jeff.  All smells like projection to me.  Like a spouse being incredibly paranoid that their partner is cheating, all the while they're the ones behaving poorly.

This guy is a real piece of work.

Hi hope this works out for the seller.  The buyer is being a tool in my opinion refusing to send the books forward .  Is the buyer a relatively new member to the boards?   This is the type of behaviour I see in inexperienced collectors who have little reputation or presence on these boards .

So, basically, this boardie is now holding your books (that you sent in good faith), hostage.

Nice.

He is also turning a rather annoying process into a much bigger issue than it needs to be...The "buyer" backed out, it sucks, but hey it happens, so send the books back, get a refund. Simple.

This is completely unacceptable.  I'm starting to wonder if the "broker" even has a "friend" and that the "wife" is likely his wife maybe? Regardless, this unknown boardie is acting like a complete a-hole.

I'm pretty sure there's no "friend" involved here. This turd had buyer's remorse, or he's trying to get the books "lost" and hold onto them for himself. This whole thing stinks to high heaven. You've gone above and beyond to be a good seller and good person,and your rep is gold. At this point you have nothing to lose in outing this loser, who I know we will all want to avoid.

Edited by F For Fake

1 hour ago, jhutton2 said:

Hi hope this works out for the seller.  The buyer is being a tool in my opinion refusing to send the books forward .  Is the buyer a relatively new member to the boards?   This is the type of behaviour I see in inexperienced collectors who have little reputation or presence on these boards .

He has been around for years but hasn’t been around much lately. He honestly thinks I won’t refund him if he sends the books to Randall. Thankfully another boardie is stepping in to see if he can re-assure the boardie that I’m not going to scam him :facepalm:. He’s worried if he doesn’t send them back to me that he won’t have any recourse with PP.

1 hour ago, comicdonna said:

I amazed that some will trade their reputation here for dollars.  My reputation isn't for sale.    

Exactly right. I’m going to lose money on this but as I told him in the screen shot I posted here, I would rather lose some money and keep my board reputation intact. He doesn’t seem to be in the same boat as me ( lol thankfully)