• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need advice on a sale that is going sideways
7 7

573 posts in this topic

On 2018-04-29 at 3:31 PM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

A situation much like this happened to me just last week. An American friend contacted me some months ago, telling me her cousin( note I have no connection to said cousin at this stage, he's just a rando) collected Funko POPs, and that there were some upcoming Australian exclusive ones that he really wanted. Could I get them for him. I got a bad feeling about it all right there, but I ignored it and carried on down Stupidity Lane. 

They were sold out everywhere, apparently, could I help? So okay, as a collector of action figs and statues myself, I tried my normal dealers. Nothing. But I did find luck with a store id been meaning to buy from for some time. They took the preorder, all good.i informed my friend, and she likewise told her cousin, that they're ordered, that's it, we're good, you can stop looking for them. I also briefly went through my selling rules, which are that I don't charge a finders fee, and only expect exact reimbursement for my costs and shipping. I told her not to pay until I've mailed the final package to America (they had to come to me first), so I'll have a complete total, including any currency conversion charges, etc. All cool with them. 

Now, the expected date was a bit unclear, saying either October or January. They didn't ship in October, so okay, January. In January there was nothing, so I emailed the store and was told they'd been pushed back to April. I gave all these updates to my friend, no worry. I even said at one stage I can cancel if you want, seeing it's taken so long, and she emphatically replied 'no'. Okay. 

They arrived last week. I messaged my friend and told her, and told her I needed the mailing address, to forward them to America. She's gets back to me and tells me 'oh, he said he already got them somewhere else'. My reply? 'Well now he's got two.'

Cousin was insistent on not paying, because he bought them elsewhere, and he says he never got updates. My response to that was that my friend/his cousin had all the details, all he had to do was ask her. I didn't have any of his details, so I couldn't contact him. He asked why he should pay. I responded that we'd had a deal, which was agreed to by all parties. He then went quiet, and stopped responding to me altogether (although I could see he had read everything I'd sent) . After 3 days I started sending Effin'Birds memes there, that were abusive at him, just for funsies. 

Within minutes of sending the memes, surprise surprise, I get a message from my friend, telling me her cousin is furious at what I sent him. I said I don't care. He's screwed me out of money, and I hate that it was a insufficiently_thoughtful_person who screwed me, and not at least someone with a brain. She then started on me, how wrong the memes were, she's disappointed in me, etc. I told her I'll put the disappointment in my wallet. 

She then freaked out, because I was furious about it all, and agreed to cover the cost of them. However, instead of mailing them to her, she wants me to try and sell them on ebay to recoup cash if possible. Now no, I'm not doing that. I've already done enough work for this deal, a deal I get nothing out of, anyway. I'm not wasting more time on it by putting them on eBay.

She still hasn't paid me, but I believe she will do that. She's just going to make me remind her, which I shouldn't have to do. I've been doing deals like this for almost 20 years, and this is the first that's gone wrong. 

Sounds like you need to un friend someone ASAP...

1 hour ago, Number 6 said:

Just my opinion, but his refusal to pay return shipping costs seems to veer into PL territory. 

Earlier, his “friend” tried to equate his backing out and refusing the package to availing themselves of a return policy. 

I know you didn’t discuss terms of a return, but in my experience anytime I’ve requested to return books due to a disagreement on condition - let alone simply changing my mind - it was always understood that I would pay return shipping. 

My impression is that was kind of standard. 

Exactly.  The 100 dollar blackmail and other shady practices make the return policy irrelevant.  If nominated I will vote yes.  

1 hour ago, Jordysnordy said:

Trust me when I say it was hard enough to get him to accept $30.00 shipping. I do appreciate the go fund me lol but I’m OK with eating some of the shipping costs to end this disaster. It’s really not about the money at this point. I am in the wrong a little bit by not talking about a return policy so I will be the bigger man and take one on the chin. At least I will have learned something from all of this.

You know what?  Sometimes - like this - it STINKS, but you have to take a loss.  Rationalize it by saying that it was the price that had to be paid to make BS go away.  Call it a learning experience and put it in the rear view mirror.  It's not right, it's not fair, you didn't deserve it but sometimes things just turn out this way.

I've got my fingers crossed that there's no BS on his end re the shipping...

PM this guy's name to me if you would be so kind.

This guy should not be able to buy a coverless, pages missing, brittle pages copy of Obnoxio the Clown # 1 when this is all over...

Edited by pemart1966

2 hours ago, Jordysnordy said:

Boardie will not agree to pay my original shipping cost of $45.00 (stamp says $32.00ish but there are taxes and other charges in Canada - for full disclosure).

When this is finished, he needs to go on the Probation list. 

You did him and his "buddy" a favor and now it's going to cost you money.  Utter horse *spoon*.

You need to nominate him as soon as this is finished so everyone can be warned away from doing business with him.

Edited by Domo Arigato

1 hour ago, Domo Arigato said:

You did him and his "buddy" a favor and now it's going to cost you money.  Utter horse *spoon*.

You need to nominate him as soon as this is finished so everyone can be warned away from doing business with him.

Absolutely this.

There is NO reason not to out this deadbeat/scammer/doofus.

If this guy thought you wouldn't refund him the money... why did he think you would, after receiving his payment, even SEND the books in the first place????

If he's THAT paranoid that he thinks you're trying to scam HIM, why would he not think you'd take his money and send him a box of german newspapers????

Answer: He's either insane or a crook.

Either way he needs to be outed.

6 hours ago, Domo Arigato said:

I thought one of the things about the probation list is that it gives the person on the list a chance to get off of it by making things right? If the transaction has been completed, how is he supposed to be able to make things right? I'm guessing by recompensing the seller for his losses on the deal?

Maybe what you're really suggesting is him being put in the HoS? 

1 hour ago, Logan510 said:

I thought one of the things about the probation list is that it gives the person on the list a chance to get off of it by making things right? If the transaction has been completed, how is he supposed to be able to make things right? I'm guessing by recompensing the seller for his losses on the deal?

i had this same thought (about what his path off the PL would be) all I can think is that OP should be refunded his shipping costs since right now the "buyer" will be out nothing for backing out on a deal, and the seller is unfairly out the shipping costs.

that has the most logic and reason to me...

Edited by miraclemet

1 hour ago, Logan510 said:

Mystery-Member is refusing to pay actual shipping costs; he’s only agreeing to pay the postage  on the box, which doesn’t represent the full cost of shipping the books from Canada to the US. 

The transaction is only being “completed” because Jordysnordy, in an effort to simply get the books out of Mystery-Member’s hands, is allowing him to get away without paying the full shipping costs. 

I would assume that once nominated to the PL list, Mystery-Member’s way off the list would be to pay the difference between postage and full shipping costs. 

Orhers have sugggested a “restocking fee” as well. I wouldn’t be opposed to Jordysnordy getting some like that for the hassle, but I don’t know how enforceable such a fee would be. 

At the very least Jordysnordy should be paid all his shipping costs. 

17 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Mystery-Member is refusing to pay actual shipping costs; he’s only agreeing to pay the postage  on the box, which doesn’t represent the full cost of shipping the books from Canada to the US. 

The transaction is only being “completed” because Jordysnordy, in an effort to simply get the books out of Mystery-Member’s hands, is allowing him to get away without paying the full shipping costs. 

I would assume that once nominated to the PL list, Mystery-Member’s way off the list would be to pay the difference between postage and full shipping costs. 

Orhers have sugggested a “restocking fee” as well. I wouldn’t be opposed to Jordysnordy getting some like that for the hassle, but I don’t know how enforceable such a fee would be. 

At the very least Jordysnordy should be paid all his shipping costs. 

This is a big part of the problem - once he returns the books he has “successfully”completed the transaction, whether it is to my satisfaction is another story but the transaction will technically be completed according to board rules. I had many PMs and texts yesterday with a board guru on PL issues and he seems to think it will be hard to get this guy on the PL list. HOS maybe. You have no idea how hard it was to even squeeze the $30.00 from this guy, let alone restocking fee. He almost bailed on the agreement because of the lousy $30.00. As for him paying the difference of the original shipping costs, usually the seller covers the shipping there and the buyer the return shipping so I’m not sure if that would stick. I will bite the $15.00 loss and lick my wounds as I have stated earlier that some this falls on me because while neither of us talked about a return policy, as a seller I probably should have covered it just in case something like this happened. Every sales thread I have ever run has had a return policy but this was not from one of my sales threads and I truly didn’t think there would be a problem because the boardie and his friend both saw the scans and all of the books met his grade minimum requirement. There were a few below his minimum grade requirement but I basically threw those books in because I was trying to be nice. 

22 minutes ago, Jordysnordy said:

This is a big part of the problem - once he returns the books he has “successfully”completed the transaction, whether it is to my satisfaction is another story but the transaction will technically be completed according to board rules. I had many PMs and texts yesterday with a board guru on PL issues and he seems to think it will be hard to get this guy on the PL list. HOS maybe. You have no idea how hard it was to even squeeze the $30.00 from this guy, let alone restocking fee. He almost bailed on the agreement because of the lousy $30.00. As for him paying the difference of the original shipping costs, usually the seller covers the shipping there and the buyer the return shipping so I’m not sure if that would stick. I will bite the $15.00 loss and lick my wounds as I have stated earlier that some this falls on me because while neither of us talked about a return policy, as a seller I probably should have covered it just in case something like this happened. Every sales thread I have ever run has had a return policy but this was not from one of my sales threads and I truly didn’t think there would be a problem because the boardie and his friend both saw the scans and all of the books met his grade minimum requirement. There were a few below his minimum grade requirement but I basically threw those books in because I was trying to be nice. 

Your PL “guru” told you it would be more likely to nominate him to the HOS than the PL?

That’s odd.

From what I’ve seen of PL/HOS discussions, it’s extremely difficult - nearly impossible - to successfully nominate someone to the HOS. 

Don’t get me wrong; this situation IS bad. But I can already anticipate a number of board adjudicators who would say this situation doesn’t hit the threshold for a HOS induction. 

Regardless, any such nomination would start with you. I understand and respect your reasons for not wanting to go that route. 

I suspect that via PM Mystery-Member will be making a lot of people’s personal POS list - from which he’ll never come off. 

I only wish I could know his eBay handle as well.....