• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need advice on a sale that is going sideways
7 7

573 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, KPR Comics said:

How does that explain the "take another $100 off and I'll buy them" offer?

Logic is not allowed.:makepoint:

4 minutes ago, KPR Comics said:
6 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

And that’s quite likely as this behaviour seems out of character

that is a bad decision, but it might literally be "That is literally the amount I can pay if I scrounge all my money together AND still pay rent this month", or just a poorly thought out negotiation technique to get the seller to take it back. Jaymole may have wanted the seller to thing he was still 'working to a solution'.  Again, not a great idea, just not obviously a scam to me.  The result is the same I guess, people won't deal with Jaymole anymore, and Jordy is out some cash and time and trouble, and Jaymole's friend probably should get a divorce (though not because the wife vetoed the comics, just because they obviously don't have communication regarding finances, which is a huge and often the biggest issue in a marriage).

11 minutes ago, revat said:

not that its acceptable, but there is the small chance that Jaymole can be telling the truth as well, and that he was in a desperate financial (possibly mixed with personal) situation AND legitimately had a friend who backed out of the deal.  And then he handled it badly (as opposed to offering to make time payments, which seems like a pretty easy fix).  Not that his rep isn't shot, it is and should be, I'm just saying that circumstances and bad (but not nefarious) decisions can ruin your rep just as easily if not moreso than being an actual purposeful scammer (which seems like would surprise a lot of people for this boardie).

I tend to believe him about the friend and there is some personal stuff also which I did not mention on purpose because it is personal. I just felt he could have handled it with more class and try and work things out properly. He did acknowledge that is was his responsibility since he did the deal for his friend but in the end we couldn't agree so we agreed to disagree. I'm a pretty reasonable guy and just hoped he would be also. But offering to take them if I took another $100.00 off was the straw that broke my back. That just didn't sit well with me and that's when I decided to just get them returned to me and eventually Randall, even if it meant me losing money on the deal. He couldn't understand why I would lose money on the deal and I explained that some things are more important than money. I hope his situation improves and I don't wish anything bad on him. But he should pick better friends or at least accept responsibility for things going badly. He wants a refund of $663.25 out of the original  $675.00 and that's what he will get. It cost him $33.00 to send the books to Randall and his buddy is sending him/sent him $20.00 to cover his shipping fees to Randall, so he's really only out $13.00 on this whole ordeal and  as of now, he doesn't seem to think that it would fair to pass that $20.00 onto me.

8 minutes ago, KPR Comics said:

He’s low on funds and saw an opportunity to get the books cheap and flip them to pay the rent.  

I don’t like it but I can see how it might make sense to someone who’s broke 

There was a reason why Jaymole hadn't posted since August of 2016, almost 6 months before the big changeover in Feb. 2017. Then another 14 months before he posts the WTB Spidey thread for his "friend".
Maybe all that time off changed his character, or maybe the airs he was putting on before became to hard to keep up.

Whatever it is/was he doesn't really seem to care now. I'm just sorry that Jeff and he had to cross paths.

38 minutes ago, KPR Comics said:

My thoughts exactly. 

I have zero sympathy here. 

3 minutes ago, Jordysnordy said:

I just issued him his refund and wrote - I truly hope you get your life turned around. Sorry I had to go through all of this and that you weren't a little more reasonable with the shipping. But that's life

You handled this whole ordeal very nicely!  :smile:

I

51 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

It not just the partial refund request on books he supposedly couldn’t afford that jumps out at me. 

When Jaymole received the books he could have said ‘This is really awkward and I hate to ask this because I know we didn’t discuss a return policy beforehand, but could we open a dialog about that now as things have fallen through with my friend?’

Instead, he immediately went with ‘eh, I’m going cram a return down your throat by refusing the package and then strong-arm a refund by filing with PayPal whether you’ve got the funds to cover it or not’

Seems to me he was kind of jerky from the get-go. 

I would bet his rent story was a sham too.  Going from “oh I need that whole $675 back to make the rent” to “well I’ll keep the books for $100 off” in relatively short order is rather suspect.  

He wanted to flip them and hedge in some profit up front.

2 hours ago, revat said:

not that its acceptable, but there is the small chance that Jaymole can be telling the truth as well, and that he was in a desperate financial (possibly mixed with personal) situation AND legitimately had a friend who backed out of the deal.  And then he handled it badly (as opposed to offering to make time payments, which seems like a pretty easy fix).  Not that his rep isn't shot, it is and should be, I'm just saying that circumstances and bad (but not nefarious) decisions can ruin your rep just as easily if not moreso than being an actual purposeful scammer (which seems like would surprise a lot of people for this boardie).

That argument would be viable except for the fact that he offered to buy the comics with his own money if given an additional $100 discount. As someone said previously, unless his rent is $100 the story doesn't make sense.

EDIT - my post was still relevant and new when I was reading on page 18. :sorry:

Edited by Red84

2 hours ago, mattn792 said:

Jaymole's friend probably got his allowance cut off after this escapade.  I'm picturing Howard and Bernadette from The Big Bang Theory.

She can handle my allowance anytime she wants

f5c7f48db4abfaf6_1-rauch_r1.jpg

3 hours ago, revat said:

Agree.  Wasn’t trying to make an excuse for him.   Just surprised as he’s been around for a bit.  

He certainly handled the situation about as poorly as he could, especially given how “cool” jordy has been thru this.  My guess is that, if Jaymole has approached it differently, he might’ve avoided trashing his board rep.  

He should’ve immediately said he’d cover return shipping, instead he said he’d just refuse the package.

He should’ve never said he’d take the books for an additional $100 off.

He shouldn’t have offered to broker a sale that he couldn’t cover himself if his friend flaked out.

Etc, etc.

So much done wrong.