• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need advice on a sale that is going sideways
7 7

573 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Jordysnordy said:

All of the books have been sold to 1 boardie and I thank him :foryou: (he did reach out earlier and was the 1st of a few who inquired and yes there is a waiting list just in case but I'm sure we will have no problems)

And yes we did discuss a return policy lol

So there will be no sales thread by Randall but 50% of the sale amount will still go to Brittany to aid in her recovery/rehab as I had stated earlier.

:idea: Since Jaymole is having financial trouble perhaps we should donate books to help him out.....

9 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

:idea: Since Jaymole is having financial trouble perhaps we should donate books to help him out.....

hm  Jaymole  :sorry:

9 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

I nominate Chip to start the gofundme page :devil:

On 5/7/2018 at 10:27 PM, Batman1fan said:

I'm glad you got your books back, Jeff.  I too was hoping that this was a boardie I had never heard of, but that's not the case.  It's been a couple of years now, but Jaymole used to have fairly regular sales threads and I bought a lot of books from him.  I personally never had any issues with him, but since he has now demonstrated his true character, I will never deal with him again.  Reputations mean a lot, and as far as I'm concerned, Jaymole's is shot.  As far as the shipping charges go, I would contact Paypal, explain the situation and ask for their opinion on how to handle it.  If they say that they would refund the shipping charges to him if he filed a claim, then I would just refund them to him and be done with it.  If, however, they say that he is not entitled to a refund on the shipping charges and that they would side with you if he files a claim, then I would not refund the shipping to him.  If he threatens to file a claim with Paypal, let him go ahead since you would already know how it will be handled by Paypal.  Also, the gall that Jaymole has to tell you that his friend is going to pay him $20.00 for HIS trouble would pizz me off to no end, and I would tell him to take a long walk off a short plank.  I have a very small list of boardies whom I will have nothing to do with, and Jaymole is the newest addition.

Just reading this now about Jaymole.  I too had a horrible experience with him. He made deals with me several times, only to back out at the last second.  One time I had packed up all the books & was literally on my way to the post office when he changed his mind yet again.  After 4 attempts to deal with him over a 2 year time period I gave up.  I was QUITE frustrated by the whole experience!

20 hours ago, Timely said:

Just reading this now about Jaymole.  I too had a horrible experience with him. He made deals with me several times, only to back out at the last second.  One time I had packed up all the books & was literally on my way to the post office when he changed his mind yet again.  After 4 attempts to deal with him over a 2 year time period I gave up.  I was QUITE frustrated by the whole experience!

He should try and get his life together and put comics on the back burner until he gets things sorted out. Wonder how many others have been in our boat with this guy.

1 hour ago, Jordysnordy said:

He should try and get his life together and put comics on the back burner until he gets things sorted out. Wonder how many others have been in our boat with this guy.

Rule #1 should be if you have to scramble to pay your bills and live life because you’re buying collectibles, you should get some help 2c

I think the problem here is that you didn't state your return policy up front. I'm sure you will in the future, but that's what muddles the waters here.

The fact that he was buying for a friend is irrelevant. He is the buyer; what he does with the books afterward is his business, not yours. It's really up to you to decide whether or not you are going to take a return. It's a tough call without a previously stated return policy.

30 minutes ago, SilverSniper said:

I think the problem here is that you didn't state your return policy up front. I'm sure you will in the future, but that's what muddles the waters here.

The fact that he was buying for a friend is irrelevant. He is the buyer; what he does with the books afterward is his business, not yours. It's really up to you to decide whether or not you are going to take a return. It's a tough call without a previously stated return policy.

This wasn't a sale from a sales thread - I answered his want ad - and as I have stated a few times in the thread, part of the blame is on me for not discussing returns with him. He had ample scans and him and his friend both liked what they saw. Fast forward, books were returned and another boardie bought them all and was very happy with the grading. This wasn't a case of him being unhappy with the books - he never even opened the box - it's s case of cold feet.

2 hours ago, Jordysnordy said:

You’re a gentlemen throughout all this.  That is plain for all to see. 

Just now, Jordysnordy said:

This wasn't a sale from a sales thread - I answered his want ad - and as I have stated a few times in the thread, part of the blame is on me for not discussing returns with him. He had ample scans and him and his friend both liked what they saw. Fast forward, books were returned and another boardie bought them all and was very happy with the grading. This wasn't a case of him being unhappy with the books - he never even opened the box - it's s case of cold feet.

Yeah I see that now. I was actually going to come back and delete my comment. I made it after reading like two pages... out of 20.  Been reading more since then, so just disregard what I said there, it's about 18 pages out of date.

If it means anything, you handled this in a much more mature way than I would have. Buying for a friend, neither of them can afford the purchase, asking you to pay for some insufficiently_thoughtful_person buying comics behind his wife's back, threatening a PayPal dispute, and to top it off: the guy asks for a $100 discount! Yikes, you're a better man than I.

Hello All

I am replying now to this thread as I have no frequented this forum in a while due to family health problems and I had no idea a thread was started.

I am very sorry about this incident but I would at least like to present my side of the story.

I have not been buying on this forum for awhile due to financial problems. My mom is battling brain cancer and my brother had  bacteria attack his heart and needed emergency open heart surgery to save his life. While all this is going on, my friend said he wanted to buy some ASMs. He has been buying some of my war books off and on over the past few years and I guess I got him started on ASMs as I threw in a few free ones with his books.

I thought this may be a way I can get my mind off of things so of course the first place I looked for books is here on the forum. Jeff responded to my WTB thread and I explained to him that I am buying them for my friend. We agreed on a price a little above 1/2 guide and I paid him and he shipped the books to me. About a day before the books arrived, my friend Patrick told me that his wife is furious at him that he is buying comics and that he could not buy such a large $ amount, at least not right now.

My problem is that I paid for the books, but financially, I could not afford them myself. I needed my money back by the end of the month or I would have problems paying my bills.

I sent a message to Jeff telling him the situation and if I could return the books and I will pay for his shipping to me (around $45). this way it would not cost him a cent. I explained that i do not have the money to keep them myself, and that I have almost all of these books anyway. As a seller on the boards, I accept returns, although the buyer pays return shipping if it not something I made a mistake on. In this case I was offering to pay his shipping to me as well. He did not want that and that his when this started going south.

Jeff said that he would not accept the return , I then said, if he can give me a 10% discount, I would start a thread here and sell the myself at 50% off. The 10% discount would drop them a little below 50% and I would at least get some or most of my money back. He said no, he will not do that, he said that he wants them shipped to another person and he will take a $200 loss as they will split the sales 50/50. He said he does not want the books in his house anymore. I did not, and still do not understand this reasoning, but I am guessing he was upset with me. I know he was disappointed, and I felt bad, but I just could not afford to buy them myself, I only did this to help my friend and now it blew up in my face.

now this is where it went bad, as I did not feel comfortable sending these books to somebody I do not know. I wanted to send them back to Jeff, and I still feel this is what I should have done. He would not have had to pay for any of the shipping and it would have only cost him his time (although he said to me, time is money so it would have cost him something). But Jeff said something that bothered me and made this thing get a little ugly, he said he will not give me the address of the guy until I paypal him $45 for shipping. I did not like how that sounded. I told him that he can just take the $45 out of the money I sent him when he refunds me. I felt that I was not going to get my money back at this point, and the best thing is to send the books back to Jeff, let him take $45 off for the shipping to me and hope for the best. I guess that tone of his soured me and made me very nervous about this situation...I really thought I would lose my money and the books will be going to someone else and then I will have no way to make a paypal claim

That is when another boardie stepped in and vouched for Jeff. Because of this I very, very reluctantly agreed to send them to this other person but the cost of shipping to this person was up to him. I said I would ship it Media mail but he said that is illegal and that he did not want that. I said however he wanted it shipped is up to him then. Again, I said I would rather ship the books back to him as that way I feel more secure about my situation and making a claim in case I did not get my money back (minus the $45 for shipping).

Anyway, I paid for the shipping to his friend but there was a mix-up as to who is paying the shipping to his friend at the end. I said that if he should take $38.61 out of my refund, as at that time, that is what I thought the postage was to me (that is what it said for postage on the box...He said it was actually $45 with taxes and such). He thought the $38.61 was the postage it cost to send to his friend, so that is where the mix-up was. At this time, I was so scared of being out money & the books because I was not sending it back to Jeff. I still feel to this day I made a mistake not doing this.

I think at the end, we were both tired with each other. Jeff was upset that my friend could not pay, and that I could not keep them due to financial dificulties (although, again i did say I would sell them on the forum here). I was upset as I did not like the tone of his messages, especially his "blackmail" sounding one saying pay me $45 or you don't get the name & address. I was also very nervous of not getting any of my money back. That is why I kept saying I want to send the books back to you.

Anyway, I feel bad about the situation and offer my apologies to Jeff for this whole debacle. I never had a situation like this with anyone on the boards before. I will take part of the blame as I trusted my friend, and he let me down, although I understood his situation.You try to do something to help a friend and it blows up in your face. Plus the fact that this was happening as I was going back and forth from the hospital and nursing home due to my brother & mothers health problems, and it was a nightmare to be stuck in. My mind was not in the best shape, and maybe I got too paranoid about being in some sort of a scam.

I think paying for his shipping to me and me sending the books back to him was a fair compromise as it would not have cost him a cent, but I guess Jeff was upset that he was getting the books back which is why he said he will not accept the return. Other here may not agree with me, but that is fine, I accept that.

Edited by Jaymole