• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need advice on a sale that is going sideways
7 7

573 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, comeaux said:

Is he DGarthwaite, is she a model and what about the soundman from Jackyl? 

No, he is just henpecked.

I never met his wife but my friend works with him and he says that he is always much happier that he is single after their talks at work in the morning LOL

Now I am really off to bed.

14 minutes ago, ChiSoxFan said:

I'm posting this as a synopisis so you can be caught up, since you've admitted to not reading the thread.  And since you were so "wary" about the transaction, if you had done any checking into Jeff's background or into mine on this board, you would have seen that neither one of us have ever backed out of a deal, tried to pull anything on anyone, or anything even remotely underhanded, and that should have eased your mind.  I'd appreciate if you'd stop using the shipping to me as an excuse for anything you did or did not do regarding this matter, since even the slightest bit of diligence on your part to verify my integrity -- which umpteen people here would easily have vouched for -- would have and should have been sufficient.  As I stated earlier in this thread you haven't read, I don't like the implication -- at all -- that I would have been a party to any sort of shenanigans.

That’s something that kind of jumped out at me: Jaymole repreatedly references how wary he was of shipping the books to this “unknown” member. 

There was a time when Jaymole did a fair bit of selling; and you’ve been a fairly prolific buyer   .

I don’t know you personally and I’ve never done business with you, but I’m at least aware of who you are...if, for no other reason, because you’ve beat me to the punch on a number of books I wanted, lol  

13 minutes ago, ChiSoxFan said:

You keep mentioning the "someone else" that the books were being sent to.  That someone else was me.  I was going to be doing a show, offered to buy some (or all) of the books as inventory so he wouldn't be out on the deal (I had just finished buying a large book from Jeff, and have done multiple deals with him before, and I felt bad about the situation he was in).  Jeff offered to have the books sent to me, with us working out something on how we would settle things with what did and didn't sell (and Jeff was overly generous on what he was offering to do, IMO, even over my protests to the fact).  In the end, after the books arrived to me, and before I did the show (which was actually just this past weekend), another buyer stepped up privately to purchase the entire batch.  Jeff also made a substantial donation of his proceeds to Brittany's GoFundMe, which was an incredibly selfless gesture on his part, to make something good come out of it all.

I'm posting this as a synopisis so you can be caught up, since you've admitted to not reading the thread.  And since you were so "wary" about the transaction, if you had done any checking into Jeff's background or into mine on this board, you would have seen that neither one of us have ever backed out of a deal, tried to pull anything on anyone, or anything even remotely underhanded, and that should have eased your mind.  I'd appreciate if you'd stop using the shipping to me as an excuse for anything you did or did not do regarding this matter, since even the slightest bit of diligence on your part to verify my integrity -- which umpteen people here would easily have vouched for -- would have and should have been sufficient.  As I stated earlier in this thread you haven't read, I don't like the implication -- at all -- that I would have been a party to any sort of shenanigans.

I can't sleep so I will answer your post because I have no idea why you are feeling this way.

All I heard from Jeff in the beginning is that he wanted to send the books to his friend. He did not mention your name or address because he said I had to send him $45 by paypal before he gave it to me. He had my $675 and now wanted $45 more when I told him he can just take the $45 off of the refund. Sorry, that sounded very fishy and was not the right thing to do or say...he sounded like someone from Goodfellas LOL. After that message, I was just trying to avoid not being able to file a paypal claim because i really thought I was dealing with someone who seemed very suspicious. Please ask Jeff to share that message he sent me and my reaction, you will see that it really freaked me out. 

Anyway, thanks to another boardie who I dealt with and is on the up and up, I agreed to send them to his friend and he agreed to take the $45 off of my refund. I only found out your name at the end when he gave me your info and I sent the package. But until then I had no clue who you were and I still don't know who you are as I never dealt with you and I have not been on the boards for months and months.

It doesn't look like there will be any agreement on this unless I send Jeff the $200 or so for the loss he incurred, and I don't feel that that loss was necessary, so going back and forth like this seems to be fruitless.

12 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

That’s something that kind of jumped out at me: Jaymole repreatedly references how wary he was of shipping the books to this “unknown” member. 

There was a time when Jaymole did a fair bit of selling; and you’ve been a fairly prolific buyer   .

I don’t know you personally and I’ve never done business with you, but I’m at least aware of who you are...if, for no other reason, because you’ve beat me to the punch on a number of books I wanted, lol  

Sorry, but I have not heard of him, and I really don't know most members here as I have not posted much in 2 years.

And again, Jeff refused to give me his details in the beginning unless I paid him $45 more and that is when my fears took hold of me. When he finally gave me his name and address for shipping, I still did not know who he was. If it wasn't for another boardie who I do know, Crassus, I would have sent the books back to Jeff, although I admit I still was very nervous until I got the refund.

13 minutes ago, Jaymole said:

Sorry, but I have not heard of him, and I really don't know most members here as I have not posted much in 2 years.

And again, Jeff refused to give me his details in the beginning unless I paid him $45 more and that is when my fears took hold of me. When he finally gave me his name and address for shipping, I still did not know who he was. If it wasn't for another boardie who I do know, Crassus, I would have sent the books back to Jeff, although I admit I still was very nervous until I got the refund.

Why would I feel irritated?  You've mentioned several times since coming back here that the presence of the "third party" is what made you nervous -- presumably, because you believed that the "third party" involvement would lead you to being screwed over.  I'm the "third party", I don't like any implication, intentional or not, even now after the fact, that I would be a party to anything unethical.  My reputation means everything to me.  If you can't understand why my reputation -- and any possible slight taken at it (again, whether done intentional or not) -- is causing me to react in such a way, then maybe that says more about you than it does me.  

The board member you dealt with who vouched for Jeff -- Crassus -- is ironically someone who has also done a huge number of deals with me over the years.  If you had bothered to ask him about me once you did have my personal info -- which, if you were as worried as you said you were, I would think would have been a logical step to take, no? -- then you wouldn't have been nervous for a second, as Crassus certainly would have assured you of my integrity, and that you would have absolutely nothing to worry about so far as being scammed in any way.  

You may not have been here for much of the last two years, but I've been here for almost ten now, and as was pointed out already by Number 6 (almost embarrassingly so, lol), I am ... ahem ... often seen buying in the sales forums, selling there several times a year, and I post here and there in other sections of the board.  I've bought from so many people here, you almost could have picked any seller at random in the sales forums and found someone to vouch for my character who'd dealt with me before, if you were that worried about it.

34 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

My wife saw the bolded part as I was reading the replies.  I won't repeat here what she said to me upon seeing it.  lol :tonofbricks:

1 hour ago, Jaymole said:

I am off to bed. I do take responsibility but I am trying to explain what was going through my head at that time.

If this happened today, I would be in a much better position and since Jeff does not take returns, I would have kept the books as I have time to either sell them on the boards and take the loss on some books, or wait out my friend if he paid in installments.

Why not reach out to him and make it right now that you are in a better position.

1 hour ago, Jaymole said:

That is the thing, he really was not in a "bad" financial state. His wife found out about the books and she got very upset and he was afraid of taking such a large sum out of their bank account. That is why he always bought my books in small lots and never over $75 in the past, so his wife would not find out. Some wives just don't see comic collecting as being worthwhile...and she thought a vacation and furniture were way more important than comics.

So he constantly lied to his wife? ...and you were complicit in this? Sounds like a great guy.

You were traumatized by a comic deal?  You seem to have told Jeff that your friend didn't have the funds?

Perhaps you should take a break, get some sleep, READ the thread and then post. 

Maybe you'll wake up and read what you have written and want to rethink a few things in the morning.

1 minute ago, ChiSoxFan said:

:cry:

(Seriously, though ... it's been almost ten years?  I suddenly feel even older than I normally do).

The eBay comics board started 19 years and 3 months ago. That wasn't the first online comics message board, but it was one of the first that was exclusive to comics (as opposed to those sub sections in .rec.arts) and one of the first in that format (scrolling message format.) 

Very few people can claim to have been inaugural members.

I'm one.

:cloud9:

If only I'd known..... :eek: