• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need advice on a sale that is going sideways
7 7

573 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Lesson I learned from this thread:

When life’s harsh realities get me down and I feel I need a break/distraction...just go see a movie. 

I saw the movie called "TAG" last night at a pre-screen :) It was based on a true story, multi-decade game of tag that lasted well into adult years. The actor that plays Hawkeye, plays someone who hasn't been tagged "it" in all those years....

1 hour ago, Jaymole said:

One further thing Jeff....I will post our conversation here if you continue to make it look like I was asking for a discount for some nefarious purpose. You know very well, that I told you about that after you said you were now going to lose hundreds of $ because you were sending them to a friend who will sell them at a con. Because of that, I told you if you can give me the discount so the books are under 50% guide, I will sell them on the boards and this way you would not have to lose that much and I would have a better chance of selling them and getting my money back.

Again, I will post our texts here if you continue to make it look like I was trying to get a better deal for another reason

I don't believe you.  Until I see texts and PMs with a credit card number and address, I remain skeptical.  

13 minutes ago, DeadOne said:

Here is a visual depiction of what every male board member can learn from this thread:

061t.png

lol

Seriously though, I think there is a lesson to be learned here about choosing a marriage mate. 

It can be awkward when you’re dating someone you’re really into and they ask the question “So what do you like to do for fun?” and your mind starts racing, debating whether you should drop the comic book bomb. 

‘Will they say “Oh” in an effort to pretend they find that interesting when even though they’re making the face like they just found expired milk in the fridge? Or will they just roll their eyes in disgust and dump me on the spot?’

And thus comes the temptation to hide what deeply interests us...or at least extremely down-play it. 

But if collecting comics keys into to your childhood nostalgia, if you really appreciate the art form, if they speak to your frustrated artistic side, if it satisfies your OCD, whatever or all of the above, then it’s part of who are. 

We all have things we need to change: I have a bit of a temper and not always very affectionate or social. In a relationship those things need to go. 

But an abiding love for comics isn’t one of those things.

It’s about acceptance. 

If you didn’t like comics and were only interested in watching/playing sports - the “traditional” male pastime - they’d have a problem with that too. 

Find somone who’ll accept you for you; you’ll just make each other miserable otherwise. 

I also find it interesting that the mildest forms of profanity are masked (not that I’m an advocate for profanity) but eBay can post a link in this thread to a listing on their site for Dollface #13 Real Girl Risqué variant featuring a girl with her big chee-chees hanging out.  

:facepalm:

Edit: haha it’s gone now. 

Edited by Number 6

42 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

lol

Seriously though, I think there is a lesson to be learned here about choosing a marriage mate. 

It can be awkward when you’re dating someone you’re really into and they ask the question “So what do you like to do for fun?” and your mind starts racing, debating whether you should drop the comic book bomb. 

‘Will they say “Oh” in an effort to pretend they find that interesting when even though they’re making the face like they just found expired milk in the fridge? Or will they just roll their eyes in disgust and dump me on the spot?’

And thus comes the temptation to hide what deeply interests us...or at least extremely down-play it. 

But if collecting comics keys into to your childhood nostalgia, if you really appreciate the art form, if they speak to your frustrated artistic side, if it satisfies your OCD, whatever or all of the above, then it’s part of who are. 

We all have things we need to change: I have a bit of a temper and not always very affectionate or social. In a relationship those things need to go. 

But an abiding love for comics isn’t one of those things.

It’s about acceptance. 

If you didn’t like comics and were only interested in watching/playing sports - the “traditional” male pastime - they’d have a problem with that too. 

Find somone who’ll accept you for you; you’ll just make each other miserable otherwise. 

Everyone collects so differently too.  lots of people have lots of comics, but do they want/need to display?  Do they mostly buy new stuff, cheap stuff, really expensive stuff?  Do they need to spend monthly income that needs to be budgeted?  Do they sell off enough to feed their collecting habits?  Or do they just turn straight profit, or straight up black hole of expenses?  How much space is required for storage/display? What other ancillary activities are involved (cons, shopping, gaming, dealing)?  How much can the collecting 'be ignored' by one partner if need be?

Be open with your partner.

I never take one dime from the house budget for comics. I have a separate acct and only use that to buy and sell comics. This has worked well for 13 years and my wife can’t say anything. 

In fact I sometimes sell from my comic acct to assist the household. 

I would never put my bills in danger of not being paid over comics.

If you make a deal for a friend and buy some books from a seller, the deal is between you and the seller, period.  You take on that responsibility when you make deals for friends.  Period.  

2 hours ago, Number 6 said:

I also find it interesting that the mildest forms of profanity are masked (not that I’m an advocate for profanity) but eBay can post a link in this thread to a listing on their site for Dollface #13 Real Girl Risqué variant featuring a girl with her big chee-chees hanging out.  

:facepalm:

Edit: haha it’s gone now. 

I noticed that too!  haha

3 hours ago, revat said:

Everyone collects so differently too.  lots of people have lots of comics, but do they want/need to display?  Do they mostly buy new stuff, cheap stuff, really expensive stuff?  Do they need to spend monthly income that needs to be budgeted?  Do they sell off enough to feed their collecting habits?  Or do they just turn straight profit, or straight up black hole of expenses?  How much space is required for storage/display? What other ancillary activities are involved (cons, shopping, gaming, dealing)?  How much can the collecting 'be ignored' by one partner if need be?

Be open with your partner.

Agreed.

And while the love of comics in general is a good thing and should be accepted, the How and What Extent of pursuing that love is another matter. 

The How and What Extent can reveal tangential issues such as budgeting, impulse control, etc. that need to be discussed and possibly adjusted or even elimated if one is entering a committed relationship with another person. 

Open and honest communication is the key; hiding stuff from each other is never a viable solution. 

1 minute ago, Artboy99 said:

My EX hated that I collected comics. Good riddance and I am a heck of a lot happier to be rid of that baggage.

what did she hate about it it was your own personal business did she collect shoes?

1 minute ago, kav said:

what did she hate about it it was your own personal business did she collect shoes?

yes she collected shoes! Over 100 pair.

She hated that the resources put into comics were not available for her disposal to do whatever she felt was more important.

I came home from work one day and found all of my comics gone. She said she threw them away in an effort to "teach me a lesson on what is important". The next day I threw away all of her shoes. I left her one pair of dress shoes, her sneakers and winter boots. I attached a sticky note: "Definitely learned thank you". The relationship ended poorly. As I said good riddance, she was extremely self centered and I grew tired of it.

Just now, Artboy99 said:

She hated that the resources put into comics were not available for her disposal to do whatever she felt was more important.

I came home from work one day and found all of my comics gone. She said she threw them away in an effort to "teach me a lesson on what is important". The next day I threw away all of her shoes. I left her one pair of dress shoes, her sneakers and winter boots. I attached a sticky note: "Definitely learned thank you". The relationship ended poorly. As I said good riddance, she was extremely self centered and I grew tired of it.

you are a god for this action.

7 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

pls describe in detail what her reaction was to shoes missing.