• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need advice on a sale that is going sideways
7 7

573 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, faster friends said:

I never take one dime from the house budget for comics. I have a separate acct and only use that to buy and sell comics. This has worked well for 13 years and my wife can’t say anything. 

In fact I sometimes sell from my comic acct to assist the household. 

I would never put my bills in danger of not being paid over comics.

I follow the exact same model. 

Just now, comicdonna said:

My wife bought me my first slab as a Christmas present in 2004.  An Action #29 CGC 4.0  

My wife has purchased art for me from both Tony Harris and Barry Windsor Smith and arranged a commission from John K Snyder. She hasn't done anything like that in too long now. Hmmm.

At one point after I started getting slabs (only 3-5 years ago) she told me that she always loved when Aunt May became Galactus' herald (her brother read comics, it was What If during assistant editors month). I bought her the slab in 9.8 for her birthday. She was so happy and then got a strange look on her face "I can't open it and read it?" she asked. 

Even with all that, she's clearly a keeper though.

5 minutes ago, Bird said:

My wife has purchased art for me from both Tony Harris and Barry Windsor Smith and arranged a commission from John K Snyder. She hasn't done anything like that in too long now. Hmmm.

At one point after I started getting slabs (only 3-5 years ago) she told me that she always loved when Aunt May became Galactus' herald (her brother read comics, it was What If during assistant editors month). I bought her the slab in 9.8 for her birthday. She was so happy and then got a strange look on her face "I can't open it and read it?" she asked. 

wow what smith art did you get??  Best what if is the kirby book where the bullpen becomes the FF.  The art is top notch.

4 hours ago, kav said:

what did she hate about it it was your own personal business...

I've told the story here once, but will tell it again...

I got dumped once for collecting comics. Come to find out, the woman's ex-bf was also a big comic nerd and she just couldn't stomach the similarity.

The ironic thing is that this girl attended Harry Potter movies in costume.

Glad it worked out in the long run. Would have made a dreadful match.

Not too long afterwards, I met my wife...who finds it both charming and ridiculous that I handle comic books with latex gloves as I look for color flecks through a jewelers lope.

Just now, newshane said:

I've told the story here once, but will tell it again...

I got dumped once for collecting comics. Come to find out, the woman's ex-bf was also a big comic nerd and she just couldn't stomach the similarity.

The ironic thing is that this girl attended Harry Potter movies in costume.

Glad it worked out in the long run. Would have made a dreadful match.

Not too long afterwards, I met my wife...who finds it both charming and ridiculous that I handle comic books with latex gloves as I look for color flecks through a jewelers lope.

People that object to what other people find interesting, well we have a word for them-NAZIS!!!!!

I guess it's not the biggest turn-on for a woman to hear that you're busy re-bagging your Wolverine run while hanging out with your other nerdy friend with half a case of beer...

but there are worse things a man could be doing, no? (shrug)

Just now, kav said:

People that object to what other people find interesting, well we have a word for them-NAZIS!!!!!

Well, she was German.

Then again, so is my wife. lol

43 minutes ago, wombat said:

Image result for decoupage comic shoes

I gave up heels a long time ago. My husband claims I got a lot shorter;) I don't think he realized why;)  If you can find me a pair of comfy flats like that, I'll wear them;l) 

1 hour ago, newshane said:

I guess it's not the biggest turn-on for a woman to hear that you're busy re-bagging your Wolverine run while hanging out with your other nerdy friend with half a case of beer...

The problem in this scenario is obvious - you only have HALF a case.  Full case — totally different story.

3 hours ago, Bird said:

My wife sees me and my 3 and 5 yr old boys doing all things comics, movies, cartoons and statues daily so tries to fit in every once in awhile.  She bought a "Bob Fett" (Literally exuberantly spat out "Look boys I got a Bob Fett shirt") shirt because the boys like Star Wars and recently got in a disagreement with my 5 year old that "Peter Pepper" is Spider-Man.  And there are probably a dozen other similar instances.  I'll give her credit though.  She doesn't try often, but when she does, its a total disaster.  

15 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

yes she collected shoes! Over 100 pair.

She hated that the resources put into comics were not available for her disposal to do whatever she felt was more important.

I came home from work one day and found all of my comics gone. She said she threw them away in an effort to "teach me a lesson on what is important". The next day I threw away all of her shoes. I left her one pair of dress shoes, her sneakers and winter boots. I attached a sticky note: "Definitely learned thank you". The relationship ended poorly. As I said good riddance, she was extremely self centered and I grew tired of it.

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaahh.  I'd definitely be going to prison that night.

5 minutes ago, entalmighty1 said:

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaahh.  I'd definitely be going to prison that night.

Or she would, with receipts and the cost and a tape recorder, isn't thievery over a certain dollar amount a felony?

Edited by ADAMANTIUM
Comma

18 hours ago, faster friends said:

I never take one dime from the house budget for comics. I have a separate acct and only use that to buy and sell comics. This has worked well for 13 years and my wife can’t say anything. 

Same. Zero arguments as a result. 

12 hours ago, mattn792 said:

The problem in this scenario is obvious - you only have HALF a case.  Full case — totally different story.

Meh. She can get her own beer.

Besides, drinking TOO much around comics might be a bad idea...especially if you're busy bagging them!

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Or she would, with receipts and the cost and a tape recorder, isn't thievery over a certain dollar amount a felony?

Yes sir.